Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why is it that husbands ca'nt seem smell their own farts?

Doesn't your mind just run with all the places you could use something like that for "get even" purposes!!! Mind did!!!

Kat

Doesn't your mind just run with all the places you could use something like that for "get even" purposes!!! Mind did!!!

Kat

Ohhhhhhhhhh, yah!!!!

I've desided I'm going to cheat when my husband and I have our next love fart contest....I'm going to use the Vick.

Thanks Kat for the good advice.

Terry

Love fart in French is le pet d'amour. Sounds romantic and classy, doesn't it? The "t" is silent, by the way.

The scientist in me has to bring up the concept that the brain can only handle so much stimuli at once, so when it reaches that point of overload it automatically shuts down the more constant and personal stimulus such as constant or frequent odors. For example, when us ladies put on our perfume, we may smell dandy for a few minutes, but very shortly we're no longer aware of the perfume unless we happen to get a particularly strong whiff of it or make an effort to smell it. Meanwhile, others can be ultra aware of our perfume's scent because it is a new scent for them, and they're only exposed to it temporarily.

Ok boring "why" stuff over with...

I know some men who probably fart enough to qualify for this theory.

Types of farts and their distinguishable characteristics.

(Green, the only reason I took French in high school was because only in French could "Faites le bruit du cochon" sound amazingly romantic.)

Wheetsin, your explanation does make sense. We do become inured to odors. This is a good thing for those who work in sanitation, with the elderly, the newly dead, or around infants.

And I found your reason for taking French tres drole. I took French, Latin, and German in highschool. I was lousy in French and so decided that it was an idiotic language. In my early 30s I ended up living in France and formally studying the language while I was there. I became fairly comfortable in this, a very complicated language, but have managed to forget most of what I have learned since coming back to Toronto. This is kind of sad, I think.

Still, French friends do periodically come to visit and after some exposure my knowledge begins to come creeping back.

And re fart types, I once knew a family who categorized them as fizzes, fizzy-fuzzes, fuzzes, and basso-profundos.

When my daughter was in Kinder they called farts purrs as in "has someone purred". I think that is a pretty "nice" term for it. Does anyone else agree?

Unfortunately, my DF has stomach issues (doctors still trying to figure out what is wrong) so he can be quite gassy and boy they smell BAAAD with a capitol B. I tell yah, you'd think you'd get used to it but, you really don't. STINKY. Altho, due to this it means I have free reign to fart in front of him should I feel the need to and he can't say anything about it :confused:

My husband has woke me up a few times with his bombs, don't get me wrong, but he can't hold a candle to my dog. Wtf is up with dog farts? They're enough to peel the paint off the walls.

You guys are so funny.

My boss who is female has issues with this. I'll never forget when I first started working here and she did it, she just said, "oh, excuse me." I was confused as to how casual she was about it. At first I though maybe she burped, she surely wouldn't have just let it go.

Well, she did and she does it all the time. And it isn't just one, but a whole series of them. What dumbfounds me is how casual she is about it. It drives me nuts. It is disgusting.

So when I get mad at hubby for farting he says, well your boss does it all the time, why can't I?

Mariposa, it seems to me that your husband is only trying to send you his love farts/les pets d'amour. I am sure that you can think of a suitable response. My advice is to go fer it grrl! and I wanna hear all aboudit.

Gosh, Green I don't think I could. I have serious issues with this. I have gotten really bad stomache aches from holding mine. I always discreetly leave the room or go into the bathroom. I do however love to tease the kids about it, just cause they make such a big "Stink" about it. I'll walk by them and then start feathering my backside and say, "excuse me".. You've never seen kids jump up so fast and start saying how gross it is and how bad it stinks. Yep, they swear it stinks like a dead skunk even though I don't even fart for real. It is really funny.

I have to say that the worst ever was my cat Gus. He had gastrointestinal disorders and eventually had colon surgery. After the surgery, his gas was the worst I have ever smelled. He slept between me and DH, and I could see and feel his little gut rumble so that's when I knew one was coming...they were silent, of course. At first DH and I would argue over who had done it, but we learned to identify when it was the cat because they always smelled the same (which made sense, since he ate the same thing every day).

My sweet boy went over the Rainbow Bridge last June at age 14, so I hope that he knew how much we loved him...more than enough to deal with his awful tummy problems.

My DH does the silent-but-violent ones as well. I swear he likes to do them in bed before I get in (he's almost always in bed before me) and then wait for my reaction. He would disagree, but he always giggles when I get grossed out. Hey, that's why there's a can of air freshener on the nightstand, dammit!