Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Introducing ....ME!

Hello to all. My name is Barb. I am from Iowa in the United States. I have been thinking about the lapband for a couple of years, and have made an appointment for an educational seminar; I go February 14th. What is next in the process. I haven't talked to my primary care physician yet. I did check into if my insurance would pay for the surgery....looks like it, but not sure. My BMI is 42, but I have no health problems.

Anyone else like this? I don't want to have diabetes in the future....both my parents have diabetes now. I have knee and back problems and see a chiropractor every month.

I have tried WW, Nutrisystems, fad diets, pills, fasting over the years. I do great for several months, and then back slide. I know it is a mind thing, but I would like to learn more about the lapband. I think it would be a great tool for losing and MAINTAINING my weight.

I look forward to hearing from whoever would like to respond. Thanks,

Barb

I am in the same boat as you. I already went to my primary care, went to the seminar and am waiting for the surgeon to contact me for an appointment. I have an appointment next week with the dietician. I'm finding this web site to be VERY helpful and have enjoyed reading how everyone is dealing with different situations.

hi barb,

welcome.

there is a website called Welcome to LAP-BAND.com. this site has alot of technical info on the band as well as doctors in your area.

i ended up finding my doctor on this site (lapbandtalk.com). there are folders here by state. i looked around for doctors in texas and read patient feedback. i then went to the seminars of the ones that looked most interesting....best thing i ever did.

i didnt go to my primary care...he didnt know much about lapband.

usually the lapband doctor has a seminar to attend where they explain the good, the bad and everything in between. after that i had a private session with the doctor.

i was self pay so i had my surgery 2 days after the seminar. (altho' i researched lapband for years)

good luck and let us know if you have more questions. there is a ton of info on this site

Hi! I'm in sunny Arizona where they are playing the Superbowl this weekend. It's going to be in the sixties. Are you jealous? Anyway I am going to attend a seminar this next week. Then I plan on talking with my PCP. I checked with my insurance and their only req. is that my PCP proves that it is medically necessary. I have to pay $150.00. What a deal huh? I think this is a great site for feedback from many different people. I have learned much from reading different posts. I wish you luck in your journey. Becky

Hi Barb, And welcome to LB.. I have a BMI of 38 , I also have sleep apnea so that helps when submitting to my insurance. All my paper work was turned in this Tuesday so I am crossing my fingers it all gets swiftly.

Cathy

Hi Barb! I'm from Iowa also. I have been going through all the preliminaries at the Geneisis Center in Davenport. I haven't had a visit with the surgeon yet, nor do I have a date, but there's hope! My BMI is 50 and I have moderately high BP, so Hopefully my two insurance companies will see the light. Where are you located?

I want a ticker tape. Does anyone know where I can find one to add to my profile? I love watching everyone else's weight go down. I want to join that bunch that has lost and not only be healthier and happier myself, but inspire someone else as I've been inspired by so many on this forum.

Hi Jen,

I will also be going through Genesis. I live in Durant. My primary doc is one of the surgeon's wife. I hope she will understand what I have been through in this weight loss battle. I sometimes feel like I am giving up, but I really feel the band will be a great tool for losing and maintaining. Did you have to do the psychological and nutritional counseling? Do you know if Genesis requires all of that. My sister is going to have gastric bypass and has been going through the counseling since Oct 07.

Thanks for posting.

Hello Barb, and welcome to LBT...I hope that you will be able to have the surgery and that your insurance will pay for it...mine didn't...that is okay, I paid the $15,000.00 and I would do it again tomorrow...I love my band...best gift I have ever given to myself...

Hey, Barb, I was at the Genisis Bariatric Center today for my psych eval. Be sure to block out at least 3 hours for that when you get there. If I "pass" my next apt. is the surgeon. Wow, that will make it seem so real. I really like the facility, and it has inspired me to eat better and start losing already. They haven't done a lot of lapbands there yet, but I think it will be special to be one of the first few. Hopefully all goes well and I can help others through the process. I definitely want to be one of their success stories.

Hi Barb:

I have a BMI of 46 and no health problems. I think if you are over 40, they will do the surgery without other health issues. It depends on your insurance company, but I believe a lot of insurance companies will also pay if your bmi is over 40.

How long it all takes depends on your insurance. If they pay, they may require you to do a supervised diet. Some are as little as 12 weeks, some are much more. Also, depending on your doctor, you may have to get a psych eval and see other physicians. I saw my doc on 1-9 and have completed most of the pre-op doctor visits and tests. I still have to complete my doc supervised diet and see the endocrinologist. I'm hoping that I get banded in April.

Check with your insurance and see what they will cover. The doctor's office also may be familar with your type of insurance. I'm in the same boat in that I have not had much that works long term.

Good luck with your search.

Thanks for the info, Hope. You gave a realistic and HOPEFUL insight to the process. I appreciate it. Good luck. I will pray for you.