Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

420 news...

Cannabis bigger cancer risk than cigarettes: study - Yahoo! News

This wont end any debates, and probably start many more.

I'm tired of how often this argument flip-flops. I swear it makes no sense when you have studies like the above vs. studies like this:

Pot Smoking Not Linked to Lung Cancer

because it's still inhaling burned shit into your lungs, yet a bunch of people swear up and down that it's true and present a slew of High Times articles assuring us that this is so, tied to hypothetical reasons why pot isn't appreciably carcinogenic when burned and sucked in the lungs (including the base radioactivity of soil that tobacco is planted in).

And then more studies come out saying the exact opposite.

Seriously, I could understand some small disparity in study conclusions but this is a veritable empirical gulf.

Anyone besides me think that all the chemicals added to tobacco during processing may have a lot to do with the level of toxicity in cigarettes?

Years ago the Macrobiotic Diet people claimed that if you didn't eat red meat and sugar, tobacco was not processed in the same way in your body as it was if you did eat red meat and sugar. If you wanted to smoke, according to them, just don't eat red meat and sugar and you'll avoid the health risks associated with tobacco products.

It may be interesting to note that maryjane (how long since you herd that?) probably isn't laced with the same chemicals as commercially produced cigarettes, and consequently perhaps the usual marijuana joint doesn't have as many carcinogens as a comercially produced cigarette.

I do get your point though, Jack. And exactly how genuinely scientific can those studies be since most marijuana smoking is illegal? I'd love to know exactly how they set up a study like that and who participated.

Freedom = people being able to claim and publish just about anything.

You all oughta visit AlphaPot Marijuana Directory It is a website that a dope-smoking fiend of mine has just set up. I don't smoke ganja myself but this is only because it messes with my already messed up brain chemistry and because it stresses out my tobacco ruined lungs. (I have chosen to practice recreational alcoholism instead.)

Our last (the Liberals) government up here in Canada wanted to decriminalise simple possession of pot but your government intervened; it threatened some sort of trade sanctions, I believe. Our current Conservative government is tough on drugs.

Ooh, and having "ganja" illegal is working so well for us here in the U.S. Yeah, right.

Btw, does this mean you've stopped smoking? Of all the things we can do for our health, it seems that not smoking is the single most important thing, according to doctors.

I will admit to having a fag about once every couple of weeks. I kid myself into believing that one cigarette can't hurt you. I also have the silly notion that one brownie doesn't make you fat.

P.S. You do know that hanging out with dope smoking fiends will eventually be your ruination? And that it is the gateway drug to all other illegal concoctions? I'm only telling you this so that you won't spend too much time with those druggie friends of yours. :)

Ooh, and having "ganja" illegal is working so well for us here in the U.S. Yeah, right.

Btw, does this mean you've stopped smoking? Of all the things we can do for our health, it seems that not smoking is the single most important thing, according to doctors.

I will admit to having a fag about once every couple of weeks. I kid myself into believing that one cigarette can't hurt you. I also have the silly notion that one brownie doesn't make you fat.

Bwahahaha! I am still a practising tabacconista. My fingers are yellow, my teeth are green and my lungs are brown.

Bjean

My mother would agree with you about the additives to tobacco being the cause of cancer and other diseases. She said she used to make cigarettes during the war (World War II) and what goes into cigarettes now is totally different.

ingyrob: I never had any kind of addiction until I started smoking a certain brand of Benson & Hedges menthol. You can probably taste the chemicals, but eff it, they're addictive. Your mom probably knows!~

Green you paint a pretty picture. At least your wrinkles are a thing of the past, right? So you're a tightly wrapped, yellow-fingered, green-toothed, brown-lunged beauty! And real smart to boot. What else could one want? Oh yeah, and you're skinny - I forgot that!

ingyrob: I never had any kind of addiction until I started smoking a certain brand of Benson & Hedges menthol. You can probably taste the chemicals, but eff it, they're addictive. Your mom probably knows!~

Green you paint a pretty picture. At least your wrinkles are a thing of the past, right? So you're a tightly wrapped, yellow-fingered, green-toothed, brown-lunged beauty! And real smart to boot. What else could one want? Oh yeah, and you're skinny - I forgot that!

Oh yah, it is true that Green has an undeniable charm, and even more so when she is feeling cheerful enough to involve herself in mucking out her crib and taking care of her personal grooming. She figures that March will be the month when she gets it all together. March will be the month when the sun will return to Canada. (It is true that Green's face and figure do look pretty damn good now thanks to surgical intervention.) Too bad about the woolly legs and the bi-coloured hair.

green

could be worse, you could have bi-coloured legs and woolly hair LOL:lol:

Yabba dabba doo. Green has finally attacked her roots. Her hair looks pretty kinda okay. Too bad that another blizzard just has drifted into the hood. There is no sunlight in Greenland but the neighbourhood does look kinda, sort of gorgeous. There is something special about fresh snow, you know. My street really does look like a winter wonderland.

I'm sooo jealous, green!!! Your post took me back to my time in Montreal where our 18th floor apartment had floor to ceiling windows in every room (except the bathrooms). It was dizzying to look out and watch the swirling snow coming down. We were surrounded by quaint streets of historical homes on one side, neat specialty shops on the other side and off in the distance, the St. John's river. What a wonderful time of my life! We were able to cross country ski every weekend and went so many breathtaking places in Canada and Vermont to downhill ski. I can understand why you might be dreaming of the warm waters of the Bahamas right now, but I miss Canada!

I'm sooo jealous, green!!! Your post took me back to my time in Montreal where our 18th floor apartment had floor to ceiling windows in every room (except the bathrooms). It was dizzying to look out and watch the swirling snow coming down. We were surrounded by quaint streets of historical homes on one side, neat specialty shops on the other side and off in the distance, the St. John's river. What a wonderful time of my life! We were able to cross country ski every weekend and went so many breathtaking places in Canada and Vermont to downhill ski. I can understand why you might be dreaming of the warm waters of the Bahamas right now, but I miss Canada!

It is true that there is something truly extraordinary about snow. It sure is a fine thing to find yourself comfortably all warm and cosy inside watching the effects of a snow blizzard. And it sure is a magical thing for a city cat to wake up on a winter morning only to be met with a strange and eerie sense of silence....and to realise that there has not been some kind of sci-fi holocaust which has hit the city over night. Nope, this silence is only one of the results of that brand new white blanket of snow, the one which muffles and hides pretty much everything which has to do with us humans and our activities. The streets are quiet and they look as clean as an operating room.

Of course the magic of the snow-thing does get old fairly quickly. The joys provided by the icy purity of snow can only last for so long before sensible people grow bored. This is why Canadian retirees turn into snowbirds. This is why we flood Florida.......

re: "recreational alcoholism"???

Isn't that an oxymoron???

*blush* Yes.

I knew there had to be a reason why your Creator made me blonde....

And he gave you the wooley legs to keep you warm.

I also remember the "floods"! That was the time in the spring when the snow melted. Oh geez, you couldn't step off the sidewalk at intersections because of the backed up sewer system from all the mud, Water and slush from melting snow. So I do remember the downside. I prefer to spend my time thinking about that quiet blanket of snow over the city that you described so beautifully.

Met a lot of snow birds down south. It was nice to meet people who didn't seem to mind the unrelenting heat and humidity in Orlando. They were the ones who were sporting deep, sexy tans. The rest of us wore SPF 50 sunscreen under our hats.