Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

You are not alone there!!!!! Same thing, if I could control the eating of things like chocolate or Cookies or ice cream I wouldn't have needed the surgery, thinking of course that would help. It doesn't take away cravings but makes it difficult to eat the "good" foods. More info needs to be put out before more people make the same mistake. This surgery is not for everyone, I'm happy for those it does work for but it sure hasn't for me!

I am just wizing up about this , I had the sleeve done on 8/14/08 and as soon as I started eating two weeks after surgery I gained 6 lbs in 3 weeks. I have been told I have to go low carb. I have been on low carb most of my life and I hoped I would have a little leeway with the sleeve but not the case. I am like you I could have done Atkins and lost it, I guess it is a little easier with the sleeve to do low carb. But it does not make me happy that I spent the money to have to stay low carb. thanks jlweb

I am just wizing up about this , I had the sleeve done on 8/14/08 and as soon as I started eating two weeks after surgery I gained 6 lbs in 3 weeks. I have been told I have to go low carb. I have been on low carb most of my life and I hoped I would have a little leeway with the sleeve but not the case. I am like you I could have done Atkins and lost it, I guess it is a little easier with the sleeve to do low carb. But it does not make me happy that I spent the money to have to stay low carb. thanks jlweb

I don't eat low carb anymore, I haven't in a long time. I eat no white carbs.

Broccoli did not get us fat. Flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, Pasta got us fat. If you want to get fat, eat white carbs. If you want to lose, stop eating white carbs. There is absolutely no food value in flour and sugar, it is bad for you. The surgery just gives you a tool so you CAN do it. It doesn't absorb the bad stuff.

Every fat person has a carb issue. It's just the way it works. The more you eat the more you crave. Stop eating your trigger foods completely and the cravings die down. You can't expect to have surgery and then eat carbs and lose. It doesn't work that way.

There are a lot of head issues that go with WLS and if you don't work through the head issues nothing works well. If you do lose you won't likely keep it off until the head stuff is done. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

I don't eat low carb anymore, I haven't in a long time. I eat no white carbs.

Broccoli did not get us fat. Flour, sugar, rice, potatoes, Pasta got us fat. If you want to get fat, eat white carbs. If you want to lose, stop eating white carbs. There is absolutely no food value in flour and sugar, it is bad for you. The surgery just gives you a tool so you CAN do it. It doesn't absorb the bad stuff.

Every fat person has a carb issue. It's just the way it works. The more you eat the more you crave. Stop eating your trigger foods completely and the cravings die down. You can't expect to have surgery and then eat carbs and lose. It doesn't work that way.

There are a lot of head issues that go with WLS and if you don't work through the head issues nothing works well. If you do lose you won't likely keep it off until the head stuff is done. I think it's just the nature of the beast.

Well said Wasa -:teeth_smile:

I don't care which WLS you have - it's really all about what's in our heads more than the surgery surgery is only a tool and not the miracle fix that everyone thinks or hopes that it will be- the surgery isn't going to change your brain only you can do that - it's all about eating healthy - this is a lifestyle change not a diet This is why I have said that 75% of the work was up to me and my WSL did the other 25%

Eating healthy + Exercise + WLS = Success..

I do eat some white carbs but they are very very limited ...

Well said Wasa -:biggrin:

I don't care which WLS you have - it's really all about what's in our heads more than the surgery surgery is only a tool and not the miracle fix that everyone thinks or hopes that it will be- the surgery isn't going to change your brain only you can do that - it's all about eating healthy - this is a lifestyle change not a diet This is why I have said that 75% of the work was up to me and my WSL did the other 25%

Eating healthy + Exercise + WLS = Success..

I do eat some white carbs but they are very very limited ...

You know what? I learned something really odd during my sleeve post op diet. I was a bit too thin and trying not to lose on my post op diet. Sugar is not my trigger food, never has been. Anything with flour is my trigger food. So I was consuming large amounts of sugar trying to at least maintain if not gain a few pounds. Nothing happened.

I started eating my trigger foods... anything with flour. I was consuming fewer calories than I was with sugar and gaining weight, which was my goal. But why didn't I gain with sugar and I did with flour? Weird.

Dee:

Amen, WASABB! This post was very helpful to me as I research WLS surgeries.

WLS doesn't get us thin, it helps us create a life style change that is needed.

Diabetics can't have sugar, some folks can't have chocolate if they are allergic to it, some can't tolerate dairy, we can't have white carbs. We all have issues with food, some for different reasons than others. If you don't adopt a total lifestyle change you won't lose or keep it off.

I was feeling very dissatisfied with the band because I haven't lost hardly any weight (banded in March of 08) and I even thought that I might have a leak in my band. I called the hosp. and they said no leak. But I don't have the restriction that I want. They tell me I shouldn't be able to eat bread so I tried it to see if I could and I had no problem eating bread. I don't feel restricted and I have had several fills. I am still exercising on a regular basis but feeling like a failure. My plan right now is to stick to it but its getting difficult to keep my head up about this. I expected better results by now but I can still eat and have very little restriction. At this point I am glad I didn't tell too many people about my surgery.

I was feeling very dissatisfied with the band because I haven't lost hardly any weight (banded in March of 08) and I even thought that I might have a leak in my band. I called the hosp. and they said no leak. But I don't have the restriction that I want. They tell me I shouldn't be able to eat bread so I tried it to see if I could and I had no problem eating bread. I don't feel restricted and I have had several fills. I am still exercising on a regular basis but feeling like a failure. My plan right now is to stick to it but its getting difficult to keep my head up about this. I expected better results by now but I can still eat and have very little restriction. At this point I am glad I didn't tell too many people about my surgery.

Why don't you go back to your doctor and get another fill if you don't have good restriction.

What kind of bread did you eat??? I can eat sandwich bread with no problem and I am at my sweet spot.

How much can eat at one meal - are you eating hard Proteins or soft foods...

Wasabubblebutt....So you paid for 2 operations? Did you pay full price for both? I couldn't decide til last sec. between band and sleeve...wish I had picked sleeve I think the band is bit of scam. Gives me nothing i did not already have! I needed willpower and I still do except i risked my life. Haven't lost anything but $8000. People on here tell me exactly what i was told before i decided to do it....eat less ty skip carbs Ty eat slow chew more ty so what's the band and $8000 do for you? Don't mean to denegrate the accomplishments

of the great people who have lost over 100 lbs but i've done that without the band doing the things above and gained it back. The band was supposed to do SOMETHING besides occasionally let make me barf on skinny people.. Sorry to whine but so far to me the band is a big FAIL why not get a choker around neck and tighten it a notch every two weeks....same odds of losing weight or your life from

obesity....LOL

Wasabubblebutt....So you paid for 2 operations? Did you pay full price for both? I couldn't decide til last sec. between band and sleeve...wish I had picked sleeve I think the band is bit of scam. Gives me nothing i did not already have! I needed willpower and I still do except i risked my life. Haven't lost anything but $8000. People on here tell me exactly what i was told before i decided to do it....eat less ty skip carbs Ty eat slow chew more ty so what's the band and $8000 do for you? Don't mean to denegrate the accomplishments

of the great people who have lost over 100 lbs but i've done that without the band doing the things above and gained it back. The band was supposed to do SOMETHING besides occasionally let make me barf on skinny people.. Sorry to whine but so far to me the band is a big FAIL why not get a choker around neck and tighten it a notch every two weeks....same odds of losing weight or your life from

obesity....LOL

I wouldn't be worrying about a revision yet. You just got your first fill a few weeks ago. You haven't even learned to chew yet, or how to eat. It's a learning curve, give it time before you call it a scam.

I wouldn't be worrying about a revision yet. You just got your first fill a few weeks ago. You haven't even learned to chew yet, or how to eat. It's a learning curve, give it time before you call it a scam.

Sorry, WASaBubbleButt I think my tone of e-mail may have come across wrong. I was truly interested in your experience of having both operations and the pros and cons and wether you are happy. I didn't mean it as just a rant. That was the frustration showing of losing 30 lbs pre and post and regaining it.

Sincerely, V

Sorry, WASaBubbleButt I think my tone of e-mail may have come across wrong. I was truly interested in your experience of having both operations and the pros and cons and wether you are happy. I didn't mean it as just a rant. That was the frustration showing of losing 30 lbs pre and post and regaining it.

Sincerely, V

You sound amazingly frustrated. ;o)

I love the sleeve. As time goes on I hate my band more and more. I realize what I was missing out on, I think I learned that WLS comes with a much bigger price than necessary.

Having a sleeve is EXACTLY like before I ever had any WLS at all but I just get full faster. No getting stuck, sliming, barfing, foaming, in pain, reflux, vomiting acid, no port pain, esophageal spasms, esophageal damage... none of it. It's all over.

You will have to watch carb intake for the rest of your life. White carbs got us fat, not eating them will help get us thin. Some people are allergic to chocolate, they can't have it. Diabetics can't have much sugar. We can't eat a lot of carbs. We did not get fat eating broccoli, we got fat eating white carbs. So we will always have to watch them regardless of WLS type. With ANY WLS type if you eat carbs you will regain.

Give the band time, many do very well with it but there is a learning curve. Be patient, ask lots of questions, work with it. You sound to me like you are going through the stage most of us do, where you are fighting your band.

I did it too, I went through this stage where it just made me angry as hell that a piece of fancy plastic was running my life and making my decisions for me. I resented it. You get through it and move on to the next crappy stage in WLS. ;o) But eventually get you to goal and you have all NEW stages to experience. LOL It's true but you know, it's all worth it.

1/2 cup of food? I was banded in 1/08 and lost 25 pounds but now I've gained back 6 pounds through July, Aug and up to now. My dr. did an upper GI and everything is in place but my 10cc band is at 9.2cc and they will NOT do anymore fills. I can eat way more than 1/2 cup of food - Protein first then veggies. I don't understand and I am so frustrated! Can anyone give me some ideas? I thought about going to another dr for a second opinion. Do you think my insurance would pay for that? Just needing some advice....

I am sorry you feel so discouraged and disgruntled. Did you go through a series of sessions with informed Dr.'s, dietitians, surgeons and others? I did, cost free-it was a part of your decision making whether to go through this surgery or not. Answering any questions you may have. I believe you need a support system and more encouragement and knowledge of the before's and after these surgeries. I am attempting to start up a support group of bandsters in the central state of Iowa. Would you be interested? Look for my thread. It has many questions and a survey for serious individuals that truely would like to become personal instead of just an online answer quick buddy. There is HOPE, but you do have to want to follow the restrictions that the Dr. recommends! And talk to him/her about your concerns. They want their surgeries to be successful, not misleading or fail to meet your standards. Trust me and again check my thread. Good-Luck!

Deb

I had the band put on 15 years ago when it was not adjustable, it did not work for about 20% and it did not work for me so I had it removed in about 18months later. I now have congestive heart failure and diabetes because of the weight I carried around all theese years, If I too could have stuck to the adkins lifestyle or zone i would be quite small and in good health. that is why i think i would be crazy to get the band again because even though it is adjustable now , I think it is not going to change the kind of food i will eat. I also think that since my insurance will not pay that i may be getting myself into a lot of trouble with more cost if I have a complications. I just started reading this blog today and joined today, but I think I am going to have to do this thing myself if I can. I know what you go thru with it, the gas, food getting stuck and I don't want to go thru that again. Also i am 55 and not looking to look great only feel great. I only need to loose 75 lbs so I best get started, Atkins her I come again for the 50th time , hope I LOOSE THE 80 LBS i LOST ON IT TWO TIMES BEFORE THIS TIME I WILL TRY TO KEEP IT OFF FOR GOOD. GOOD LUCK TOO ALL OF YOU WITH THE BAND , I JUST DON'T THINK IT IS WORTH THE RISK FOR ME.

jlweb55,

good luck on your Quest. My wife just got banded and I decided to go another route. I have taken all their eating plans and started eating right. Since June 1st, I have reduced myself by 58 pounds. Whenever I get hunger pains, I think of that rubber band in my stomach. I still have 35 more pounds to go. Not having insurance to pay for it can be devistating. Remember the lap band concept is for life but the band is not made to last a lifetime.

Good luck on your journey. Think before it goes into the mouth.