Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I went to the seminars on the lap band and was told by one person the spoke there that she eats half a bagel and is full. I felt that this would help me with the amount that I eat and would be a tool that would get me over the top in loosing. I know that it is just a tool to help you loose but a very strong tool.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

SO I went out and got a loan for the amount of the operation and I had the lap band installed on September 25 of last year.

But before I had the operation I had to go 2 week with out eating. I could have Jello, sugar free Popsicles, and Optifast only.

Some how I was able the stay with the program and lost 20 pounds in the 2 weeks before the operation.

In 30 days I went back and had the band filled.

The process was very fast and not knowing what to expect I gave him the wrong information as to how tight the lap band was. I found that there was no difference from when I went to have it adjusted. But that was my fault for giving him the wrong information. I had an appointment for 30 days but called and got an appointment for 2 weeks.

When I went for that appointment I had gained about a pound. When the doctor came in he was not happy about the pound. I told him that the band was not working and he said that I should loose even with out it ( if I could loose with out the assistance of the lap band I would not have spent this amount of money that I did not have).

<o:p></o:p>

I was also told to not eat carbohydrates. When I asked what was a safe amount of carbohydrates to eat I was told none.

I have been on the on carb. plan and lost pounds but you need more then carbs.

If this is the way I wanted to go I would have gone to the used bookstore and got a book on the Ackions plan and not spent all this money.

When I eat I should feel full but I can eat as much as I want and as long as I chew it well enof no to get stuck, I can eat as much as I want and feel the same as before the lapband.

If I loose any pounds it will be because of the no carbs and not the lap band. This wonderful tool that I was told was so great is of no help.

The only positive thing to come out of this is the weeks with out eating showed me that I can control my eating.

This is the reason why I feel it is a scam. A very expensive one!!

has anyone had the same problem or is it just me.

I went into this thinking that it would be a good tool and help me loose pounds but it has not.

Of course you can eats carbs! Just not the bad ones. It's a pretty general rule to not eat anything white like flour, sugar, potatoes, rice,and Pasta. (that of course includes anything with those things in the ingrediants. If you have the proper amt of fill and restriction and aren't hungry, that should be fairly easy. The whole point of the band is so we can be satisfied with less food. When you are restricted and eat your protien and then your veggie you probably won't want any more food, but if you do some good carbs (like fruit) will be fine

Please excuse me but I am not sure what you mean by some of your comments. Did you only have 1 fill? Sometimes it takes a few fills before you hit your "spot". It also takes some time to get used to the band and everything that goes with it. Its a learn as you go kinda thing. There have been times that I have gained a pound but that was due to my eating the wrong foods. There also have been times that I haven't lost for a few weeks. It isn't a quick fix, this is something that takes time. I was banded 06/07 and have lost 61lbs. so far. The more you work at it the easier it becomes and the exercising has to come with it also. It took me 4 fills and 1 unfill to get to the spot I have been at since October and I know that at some point coming up I will be needing another little fill. So if I am reading yours wrong I am sorry but it most likely will take a few fills.

Peggysue,

I'm sorry that you feel that the band is a "scam". But from what you've indicated in your message, I must wonder.......other than the seminars, how much research pre-op did you do before jumping into this?

Everyone's experience with the band is individual. Some can eat breads/carbs. Some absolutely cannot-the band itself will not let them. Some have trouble with certain meats. What the band does is RESTRICT you. You will learn your band and what your band will tolerate. It can be defeated. By using the band properly, you can overcome those tendancies to eat poor quality foods, processed foods, etc. You learn a more healthy relationship with food.

I'm so sad to hear when people think the fills will do everything for them. They have to invest themselves as well. Learn all you can. Commit to this. The band makes a lifestyle change so much easier.

I also question your doctor, a little. Why would he tell you "no carbs" at all? Did he send you to a dietician? Especially one experienced with the band and not necessarily bypass patients only. How experienced is he with the band? To tell someone they will lose weight without the band/a fill/etc, defeats his goals and sets YOU up for failure. And for goodness sake, how can he work with overweight individuals who have eating issues and then be upset with 1 stinking pound! Besides, it's not uncommon in the first month or 2 to actually gain because you've healed and you're transitioning back to solid foods.

The journey of lap band success is filled with pot holes. Don't get stuck in this one. Crawl out and instead of buying an Atkins book, buy a book about living with the band. Learn how to eat healthy. Find a form of exercise that you like. Success will creep up on you and the next thing you know, you'll look in the mirror and ask who that gorgeous chick is!

I'm sorry that you feel that the band is a "scam". But from what you've indicated in your message, I must wonder.......other than the seminars, how much research pre-op did you do before jumping into this?

I was wondering the same thing. The band is a tool, not a miracle procedure. You have to do the work and the band aids you in your weight loss journey. It will take several fills before you will acheive maximum restriction. Give it some time and do all the research you can at this site. This site will give you loads of wonderful people to offer you support in your journey.

I had lap band done in May 2007. I have lost 95 pounds since then. I am on my 5th fill and I feel that this is the good one. There are a lot of things that I cannot eat but I have also changed my thinking about food. Please do not think that this is a miracle cure because it is not. I walk almost three miles a day and watch everything that goes in my mouth. I did a lot of research about the surgery and talked to several people that had it done before I decided to go through with it. There is a man at my work that had it done over a year ago and has lost nothing. My feeling on that is that he is not trying hard enough and still eating junk. You have to be totally comitted to this for it to work properly.I now eat about 2 ounces of food and I am full. Also remember not to drink when you eat or right before or right after because that will flush the food down faster. It took about 5 months for me to stop drinking while I eat and I was fuller faster when I stopped. Good luck to you and please stick with it.

Thanks

it had nothing to do with what I could eat. It had to do whith what I was told at the start and how it really works. I dont care if I have a had time getting down some foods I just want it to work the way I was told it would.

Like I said before I went into this knowing that it was not a miracle but when I can eat as much as I want and not feel full then it is not working the way I was told it would.

It sounds like you are unhappy with your doctor, not the band. You were given misleading information I guess. I agree with Julie-get another fill. You may need several to get the right adjustment. But, you also must advocate for yourself. Don't let the doctor push you around. I don't understand what "wrong information" you gave your doctor. Many people cannot just tell their doctor immediately how the fill is. It takes a few days for any swelling to go down after a fill and there may be a delay in the fill "kicking in". Many of us have had to go back and have a small adjustment + or - less than a CC. I'm sorry it isn't working for you, but it is a successful tool for many, so don't give up until you have exhausted all your efforts.

Hi Peggy Sue,

Yes, this is too bad you are feeling this way. I encourage you to do as the above postings have suggested about researching more on everything you can about the lapband surgery, results, variations of peoples' results, recipes and exercise. There is what is called head hunger (this is when you eat too much just because you can and not because you're really hungry) and I believe this is what I had for awhile and still get sometimes, but I definitly notice that I can't consume nearly the amount I used to. I commend the person who only eats 2 oz's, but I can not do this and my surgeon just recommends a handful at each meal and I eat a little more than that and am still losing. I am only out 41 days and have lost 27 lbs and am happy with that and my surgeon was as well. I have had 1 fill of 1cc and he also explained how at surgery they fill the band then released all but 2 cc's in my 10cc band. He explained I should only lose 1-2 lbs a week now to keep up my health and so I won't regain the weight. As the above postings have said the band is a tool, but you need to commit yourself to the diet restrictions this involves to make it work. Do you still drink your Protein Drinks? This helps to keep me full for a few hours when I first wake up. I also went through some depression, which I am told is normal, so this might be something you might discuss with your Dr. as well. I hope this gets easier and less stressful for you in the future, and if you hang in there and set your mind to the positive (you CAN do this) you will and be proud of yourself! As far as eating all carbs, not a good choice. Protein is what you need to work on eating first and foremost and watch Portion Control. Start a journal of your exercise routine daily (this can include all housework, and walking your pet, if you have one) and all that you eat and drink and of course the amounts. (This will help you to see exactly what you are doing to enhance this tool you now have to help you with your weight loss journey) The computer is a great source to research everything a person needs for themselves or others. Join a support group, if there is one available to you. Stay with this site for a great tool, as we are all here for encouragement to each other and not to condemn anyone. I wish you the best and stay in touch by writing back to the post to let us know how you are doing. You can reach me by dmarv5090@hotmail.com if you would like a support buddy or need to reply to this quickly.

I had the band put on 15 years ago when it was not adjustable, it did not work for about 20% and it did not work for me so I had it removed in about 18months later. I now have congestive heart failure and diabetes because of the weight I carried around all theese years, If I too could have stuck to the adkins lifestyle or zone i would be quite small and in good health. that is why i think i would be crazy to get the band again because even though it is adjustable now , I think it is not going to change the kind of food i will eat. I also think that since my insurance will not pay that i may be getting myself into a lot of trouble with more cost if I have a complications. I just started reading this blog today and joined today, but I think I am going to have to do this thing myself if I can. I know what you go thru with it, the gas, food getting stuck and I don't want to go thru that again. Also i am 55 and not looking to look great only feel great. I only need to loose 75 lbs so I best get started, Atkins her I come again for the 50th time , hope I LOOSE THE 80 LBS i LOST ON IT TWO TIMES BEFORE THIS TIME I WILL TRY TO KEEP IT OFF FOR GOOD. GOOD LUCK TOO ALL OF YOU WITH THE BAND , I JUST DON'T THINK IT IS WORTH THE RISK FOR ME.

If you don't think it will work for you, then you have made a good choice.

I'm 56 and i was banded the 4th of march. Age should not be a barrier. I, too, am looking to shed diabetes along with the pounds.:tongue:

I had the band put on 15 years ago when it was not adjustable, it did not work for about 20% and it did not work for me so I had it removed in about 18months later. I now have congestive heart failure and diabetes because of the weight I carried around all theese years, If I too could have stuck to the adkins lifestyle or zone i would be quite small and in good health. that is why i think i would be crazy to get the band again because even though it is adjustable now , I think it is not going to change the kind of food i will eat. I also think that since my insurance will not pay that i may be getting myself into a lot of trouble with more cost if I have a complications. I just started reading this blog today and joined today, but I think I am going to have to do this thing myself if I can. I know what you go thru with it, the gas, food getting stuck and I don't want to go thru that again. Also i am 55 and not looking to look great only feel great. I only need to loose 75 lbs so I best get started, Atkins her I come again for the 50th time , hope I LOOSE THE 80 LBS i LOST ON IT TWO TIMES BEFORE THIS TIME I WILL TRY TO KEEP IT OFF FOR GOOD. GOOD LUCK TOO ALL OF YOU WITH THE BAND , I JUST DON'T THINK IT IS WORTH THE RISK FOR ME.

There are other options available.

Weight-Loss Surgeries Compared

Just please, do something so you can get your life back.

jlweb,

You are absolutely right, if you know you can't stick to a plan, a band will not help you. It's just a tool. It makes me feel full more quickly and limits how much I can comfortably eat. It doesn't make food choices for me or get me on the treadmill.

Frankly, without insurance I would not have been able to have the surgery. And either would have continued gaining or kicked myself in the butt and got with a good program like Atkins or Weight Watchers, etc.

I wish you well and am so sorry that it didn't work for you 15 years ago. I can only imagine what that must be like. But thanks for popping in and reminding us that we have to make good choices, even with the newer bands.

PeggySue

I know exactly how you feel, hunni, I was where you are just one week ago! I had a band fitted on January 16th and lost 10 pounds pretty quickly then stuck. My surgeon hadn't put any saline in my band, I had no restriction once all the internal swelling went down and I could eat almost anything I wanted.

Now I had done my internet research before surgery but, for some strange and unknown reason, I hadn't read anything at all about the need to have the band filled! I honestly didn't realise that I needed to get this done - and pay for it! DUH!

Anyway, I went for my first fill with a surgeon who had come over from Belgium (where I had my private surgery) to Scotland to hold a fill clinic. I paid £90 (almost $180) and he put 2ml in my 9ml band. Now this seemed a very small amount to me and I explained that I did not want to go too cautiously. He told me I had to trust him and that if the fill he had given me wasn't enough he would add a quarter to half a ml each time I saw him.

I don't know if you have read many chat forums on this subject, but most of the bandsters who contribute say that they need 4 - 5 fills or a half filled band to reach their "sweet spot". It seemed to me that my surgeon was being rather cautious to say the least and that, at £90 a pop, this was going to be an expensive and time consuming process (considering that the clinic only takes place once a month). Let's just say I felt like a bit of a gullible fool!

So, I asked around - on the WLS forum - and decided to get in touch with a surgeon called Dr Galloway who carries out weight loss surgery on the NHS but also has a private fill clinic near where I work. I got a cancellation for Monday and went along to see him. I explained exactly how I felt and, unlike the other guy, he actually listened. He put another 2ml in my band then had me stay around for 2 hours guzzling Water to check my restriction. He also told me who to contact at his hospital should I feel too tight after a couple of days.

Whilst this visit was expensive at £200 ($400), I would have paid the other guy AT LEAST twice as much to get the same restriction. Long story short, I now have the tight restriction I wanted and the happy prospect of restarting my weight loss - I've lost 3lb since the fill.

What I'm saying to you is to look around for someone like Dr Galloway and tell them exactly how you feel! Your current doctor is not for you and if, as I suspect, you are paying him for your treatment, then you are the consumer and should be treated and respected as such! If he won't respect you, find a doctor who does!

I hope things work out for you, my friend. Chin up!

Kat xxx