Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing hair

Wonder if anybody else is losing their hair already. I started noticing it a few days ago. I thought I had the upper hand in the situation by making sure I was getting enough nutrition post-op.... guess not. I wonder how much I will lose? I'm glad to be down 16 and it isn't even a month yet...I just didn't want this to happen.

I don't know if this is a help, or not... but two things come to mind. First, is to be sure you have enough Protein (which, I understand, can help). Secondly, a few years ago when I was dieting I suddenly started losing hair. Now I have a good healthy head of hair and genetics that are supposed to keep me from going bald. I was freaked out! I went to the internet and began researching and found that one of the side effects of too much Vitamin A (in some people) can cause Hair loss. I checked the Vitamin pack that I was taking at the time and calculated that I was getting roughly 2000 times the amount of Vitamin A required by USDA. I immediately stopped the vitamin pack and switched to a different Multi-Vitamin with less A. The hair loss ceased and I stopped freaking out.

Again, don't know if this will help, but I thought I'd offer it.

Bert,

I am about 7 weeks out from surgery, and I noticed that my hair had become much more coarse than normal and was slightly falling out. (I normally have very fine, soft hair. I have never had to use conditioner on my hair even.) Anyway, I asked my hairdresser who has been cutting my hair for 16 years about it, and she said that the anesthesia comes out of your hair follicles after surgery, hence the change in texture. As for the Protein, she told me absolutely NOT to use Nioxin Shampoo, as that only blows up the cuticle of your hair. She told me to get protein rich shampoo. She recommended Joico KPak shampoo and reconstructor. It has worked great. My hair is soft, silky, and not falling out as much. All of the Joico products have a high amount of protein in them, so you should be able to find a different one if you don't like the KPak. They are fairly reasonable for salon shampoos also. I got mine at Trade Secret, but I looked on the internet and found reasonable prices also. They also have it at alot of the chain salons. I started taking Biotin also, but I just started the other day, so it's too soon to tell if that is helping. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Thanks for your replies.

Munchkin that makes so much sense about the anesthetic leaving through the hair follicles... my hair is just sooo dry now, it feels like straw. It is very uncomfortable. Very unusual as I have had processed hair for years (I go between blonde and red) now but always had soft hair.

I was baded Aug. 15. My hair started faling out about 8 weeks after surgery. I was loosing a huge wad every day. I still have enough to cover all spots, but it is very thin. Last night I got a cut and color and my Beautician announced that I had finally stoped loosing hair.:redface: She said I have about a 2-3 week growth all over my head! She also told me the body when shocked from illness, surgery, or lack of food gets rid of what it does not need (hair & nails) first. I always get 80-90 grams of Protein a day, but still had Hair loss. Try to hang in there and get some of that Hair growth Shampoo (Minoxidil).

JP

Alright. I am a hairdresser with 17 years behind the chair. There are many reasons why hair changes. Don't rule out stress. You have been through a very stressful thing. Exciting, yes, but it is a major life change. It could very simply be that. Also, using hair products with high protien is not a great answer. High Protein can also cause your hair to become brittle and break off. I think you should ask your specific dr. as well as your personal stylist. Chances are that after your body gets aclamated to all the changes your hair will be just fine. Try not to worry about it tooo terribly. Normal Hair loss daily is 50 to 100 strands of hair. Put a plug in your tub and count when you wash and after you brush. If your getting more than that, then get more advice. Otherwise I think you'l be fine.

The following information came from my Dr. (Steven Clark)

1. Avoid rough treament by using a brush or fine-toothed comb, or towel-

dry your hair. Do not use a blow dryer or other heated appliances on

your hair; let it dry naturally. Do not comb your hair until it is dry, as wet

hair tends to break off.

2. Try Shampoo that has Biotin in the formula to aid in Hair growth and

durability.

3. Try Nutri-Ox System or Nioxin shampoos (shampoos, conditioner,scalp

treatment).

4. Do not take large dose of Vitamin A for an extended it can cause hair

loss.

5. Vitamin recommendations may be made by your dietician to ensure

nutrient adequacy.

My beautician also told me about the 50 or so hairs that we loose on an average day. Yes I did leave out the fact that stress can cause Hair loss woops. I was not aware that shampoos with high Proteins could cause my hair to become brittle and break off it makes me wonder why on earth my Dr. office would have recommended it. I was also told by my Dr. and dietician to get 80-90 grams of Protein a day. I do not know what any other Dr. say. I try not to give bad advice.

JP

I was banded on May 1, 2009-almost 6 months ago. I started loosing hair by the handfuls also at about 4 months. I was told by my dr. to use Nioxin or Pantene and to take Biotin. He also said to make sure that you are getting in at least 65-75 grams of Protein a day. I'm at 5 1/2 months now and it is slowing down substantially. Apparently it's a normal process and it'll start growing back after a couple months, so don't worry too much. Good luck!