Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Met with my Dr. on Friday to let her know that I'm interested in the procedure and would like to get the process rolling. She immediately tried to discourage me from getting it done. She informed that the process will take one year and that I start seeing a Nutritionist then, "see how that goes.."

WTF?!!!! I'm so confused! I'm 5ft.4in, weigh 294, have too many ailments to type.....and I'm only 31.

Is this normal? Has anyone had to see a Nutritionsist first? I wanted to tell her, "Lady, do you honestly believe a nutritionist is going to tell me anything new from the other diet programs I've been through?!!"

Is this just a bump in the road? Or is it the first step? I'm so confused. Has anyone out there been through this? Please let me know what my Nutritionist visits will consist of.

I had one appt with the nutritionist so she could explain to me the food program that I would be on both before surgery and after surgery once I get back on "real" food. I am on a high Protein, low carb plan (30 gms a day). Was your doctor referring to something more extensive? If you are trying to get insurance to cover a portion of your procedure, you may have to be under a medically supervised diet for 3 to 6 months depending on your insurance. If you are self-pay, you don't have to jump through those hoops.

Chubbychoco,

Yes, if you are trying to go through insurance approval, seeing a nutritionist is just one of a long list of things you will have to do in order to meet their requirements. They want to make sure you have "tried" everything and failed before approving you.

My insurance sent my doctor and I a letter of two more things they needed to see before they would approve me. It is lots of paperwork and testing, but definietly worth it all. Good luck to you.

check with your insurence company and see a doc who does the lapband for current info. Yes, your insurance might draw things out for you but some do not. You dont need permission from your doc to get the lapband.

Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I needed to vent. I should have questioned my dr. more. It seems that she wants me to begin seeing a nutritionist. Since I am going through my insurance, I guess this is the beginning of the process. They will cover 100% of the procedure, so I guess equates to jumping through more hoops. I just got my hopes up a bit too high after reading through the threads and seeing others progress and assuming my experienece will be just as smooth, fast, etc...

Thanks again and wish me luck!

You will feel like a circus animal with all the hoops you MUST jump through....but keep your eye on the prize...it will all come together.I would make it clear to your M.D. that this is the route you ARE taking...why don't you attend a seminar...the staff there will be more than happy to get the ball bouncing! My surgery is set for 3/4/08 at Tampa General with Dr. Murr. Best wishes to you.....

I saw my PCP on Friday too, and I will admit I was nervous walking in. But he was very receptive to the idea. I'm 5'4 and about 234 (40 BMI). He gave me my referral to see a bariatric surgeon to get the ball rolling. (I had already attended a seminar.) Apparently, the surgeon will determine who and what I need further referrals for (testing, psych eval, etc), and then my PCP has to write the referrals. Though they are in completely separate locations and practices, they will work as a team to make this happen. :rolleyes2:

One requirement of my insurance company is that there is a supervised diet period of at least 6 consecutive months. I believe they're going to allow me to submit my records from Jenny Craig over the last 2 years (not all the time, not with significant success) to cover that, so at least I won't have that 6 month delay. I have no idea how long this will take to get approved, but I can't even get initial consultation the surgeon for another 2 weeks! :tt1:

Clearly, patience is not my strong suit!!!

Most insurance company require seeing a nutritionist but I was glad that the place I went already includes everything but the physc review and only needed a pcp approval letter.

I'm feeling a lot better now! I checked it out and it is a supervised diet. So am I supposed to be successful on this six month supervised diet? I know I won't. My problem is emotional eating and Portion Control. I swear, my belly is an endless pit....I'm assuming if I do bad, then that will make them speed up the process. My rationale is that I'm just speeding up the inevitable :-) My appt. isn't until mid February...Got a whole lotta diet sabotaging to do!!!!!!!! LOL, LOL.