Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just Curious...Post Op Depression/Anxiety

I am not a person who has had problems in the past with anxiety and depression, and I can tell you that though I don't think its the surgery, I'd definitely say that losing food as a coping mechanism sent me crashing. In counseling now, and on meds, and doing much, much better.

I think of it like this...for 40 years I used food to keep my emotions from swinging to one extreme or another, and now without that "packing", I've got to learn how to swing gently. Hence the therapy!

You are so right on about the profound impact on your life when you have used food as a friend, a high, an escape, a coping mechanism.....or all of the above............I have to be very careful not to replace food with other things like shopping, sleeping, sex.........you catch my drift. Counseling is a very good thing to keep up with the addiction factor...........best of luck and lots of love.........Julie

I was banded on Jan. 15. and am having a bit of anxiety..thinking it isn't going to work, and that there isn't a support group here in Qatar that I have found (yet).

I personally think that this is an on going thing, most likely for life. At least for me it is. I'm not inbarrased about it it is just the way I am.

I am lucky enough to have a huge support team, here and also a theripist who has gone through WLS, actually she had her stomach stapled over 10 yrs ago.

When I feel the anxiety and depression kicking in I give her a call and see her for a few weeks.

What I have learned is that this is all normal and it does lesson, but it never really totally go away.

There are days that my anxiety of failure is so high! I have to remember all that I've gone through. I'm not alone in this and I will continue to succeed.

You have just been through a major life change. The unknowns are huge for you right now. It will get better, trust yourself, I need to trust in the Lord and that helps me so much.

Try to erase your negative thoughts of the past. You can change and you are starting to.

eenerms, this site is wonderful support. Also if you can find even 1 other person from your Drs office who has the band or is getting the band support on each other. Start your own group, you can do it because everyone in the group will help you by sharing there feelings.

Oh I'm going on and on here this morning, but I did want to mention that Dec 2006 over a year with the band I hit rock bottom. I couldn't walk out of the house without crying I was a mess, angry anxious I really couldn't function.

My GYN, PCP and Surgeon all said that it was based on the changes in my body from the weight loss.

So we have to give our heads and body time to all catch up.

This is an apology for this entery I don't mean to bring anyone else down or make anyone rethink there decission but I need advice.

I think I may have missed the main stream of conversation but here goes. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one dealing with anxiety and depression. I think my problem is no matter how much I told myself that this was not going to fix my problems. My heart still told me that it would.

I have never had many dates and I am an actress at night. I thought that my weight is what kept the men I was interested in not interested in me. Also I thought the reason I didn't get any role but the funny fat girl was because of my weight.

Unfortunately this year within a few months I found that nothing has changed. I found a man I was interested in him and I have become real close friends and in not so many words he told me that he loved me like a big sister. Then I audition for several plays a few months later for a director that I am very close friends with and once again am place in the back row of the chorus.

I feel like I wasted my time, money, heartache, pain and energy and NOTHING CHANGED.

I never in my life lost hope and within weeks I have lost hope in matters that until now have kept me in my opinion sane.

I have tried to go see a counselor and was told that I would have to pay $2000 co pay. Well that is just out of the question.

On top of everything else I was banded on June 2006 and have not lost a single pound since Dec 2006 I have lost 85lbs which I am grateful for.

Can anyone help? What do you do to cope with the fact that you have lost your only means of comfort and the excuse that you tell yourself is the reason for the things in your life that you don't have or want?

Any suggestions out there.

:wink2::Dancing_biggrin:

Well in my opinion you did one of the best things you could do-----you acknowldeged that there are problems, and you told someone about it, and ask for guidance. By coming here, or talking with a friend, anything--it helps you to let go of it a bit. We may not have all the answers a counselor might, but we are a LOT cheaper!!

I have no idea if any of this will be anything that is pertinant to your situation---but will hope maybe!

First of all---do you work during the day? You say you are an actress at night. Many employers have an EAP--Employee Assitance Program----which allows you to see a counselor at no co pay or a much lower co pay than the standard mental health deductions. You might check to see if that is available to you or not. $2000.00 seems outreageous! Especially with insurance.

Now, as for the acting, and continuing to get the lesser roles, as opposed to the leads you desire. Is this a usual troupe you are acting with an auditioning with? If so, they may just continue to see you in a supporting role, simply because that is where you have been in the past. Maybe try moving around a bit, broadening your horizons. Weight can assist you in some roles----albeit not a lot of them, but look at the hairspray girl! You do not say anywhere how much more weight you need to lose. 85 pounds is an awesome acheivement! The first part definitely comes off easier than the last part!!! Your body requires less, so you have to do more to move it off----I am learning that more and more each day!!

As for the guy----If I could explain why he acted the way he did--which was not awful, just confusing, or if I could tell you what he was thinking. Girl I would be one rich woman, making my talk show rounds!!! No one can explain men!!! Any better than one of them can explain all of us! Hell half the time I don't know why I act the way I do, let alone someone else!!!

To say nothing has changed is so so wrong!! Things have changed!! Your health has to have drastically improved with the loss of 85 pounds. Do you remember 85 pounds ago---pre band, did you ever hold any hope at losing that much weight and keeping it off??? It is a huge accomplishment! One that many people out there who want the band sooooo badly still only hope for. The biggie with me was maintenance---and like you I have not lost much in awhile, but I have maintained my loss--------and feel so proud of that! I know now when I get it in me to lose the last of this, I can maintain that loss too!

Learning how to cope without having food to fall back on is a major issue most of us have. Some have turned to shopping, gambling....etc. Trading one addiction for another! Some trade it for a healthy addiction such as exercise.

Whatever you have turned to----your acting perhaps has worked for you! You are not regaining all your lost weight.

Blaming all of lifes shortcomings simply on your weight was easier than thinking something else may be standing in your way. I have no idea why things seem to be more difficult at this point in your life other than we all go through highs and lows, and maybe this is your low. But possibly you need to sit back, and take a revised inventory of yourself, and see if there is something that is holding you back.

Are you prompt----showing up on time every time, so they view you as able for the leads for instance?

Are you allowing the uncertaintly and insecurities to show through perhaps, and they see you as sad---and do not want to add more pressure to you at this time?

And finally, maybe it is not YOU. Are they all married sorts with kids, and you a single? Are they all in school while you work or visa versa? Just look around, the issue might be the other person---not always you!

Unloading these thoughts and discussing them can do wonders! If it helps you---log in and tell us----we can try to help!

We all go through difficult times, and sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel seems especially dim, if not extinguished, but luckily right around the corner it can be right there again!

Are you doing any exercise? The exercise is great for helping with weight loss, but it is also a wonderful way to release the feel good endorphins. Might try that as a begining step----add an exercise class of some sorts to your evening acting time--it will put you in touch with a whole new group of people, and be good for you and your health as well.

Take care and hang in there, many of us can relate to what you bring up!

Kat

Good Morning Kat

Thank you for all the advice you gave. I do feel a little better telling someone about it especially someone who has been banded. I talk to my friends and they still have that look in their eyes that says they really don't get why I feel this way. 85lbs is a lot of weight but I still would like to loose another 75lbs. I do have a daytime job and not a very good one for having been banded. I am a kitchen manager for a cafeteria.

I do work with the same acting troupe or at least the same group because in the past they are the only ones who would let me even act. But you are not the only one to tell me that maybe it is time to move on from them I'm just scared.

I try really hard not to replace one addiction for another and maybe exercise is one I need to try.

thank you again for listening and giving me hope that I am not the only one.

thanks again

I have suffered from depression and anxiety for years and after being banded is no different. It is supposedly common for people to go through a little bit of a depression spell after having any kind of surgery. Atleast that is what my phychiatrist said. But I don't think I'm depressed from the surgery as much as I feel like I have lost my best friend. I am only 8 days post-op and I have cried through almost evry single one of them. I know I did the right think with having the lapband and I am already seeing weightloss which I thought would make me feel better but it doesn't. I didn't realize how much I actually would eat for just the joy of it. I loved everything about food: how it tasted, smelled, etc. Now I see that @ 75% of the time that I ate I wasn't even hungry i just want to. I have been really struggling with it. It is like I'm mourning the loss of food. I think I might start going to talk to someone about it because I know this isn't natural and I'm not sure if it will get better. I know I need to find a different outlet but it is hard when you are a stay at home mom with 3 kids,on a strict budget, and live in a city where you don't know anyone. I am still on the liquid phase of my post-op so can any experience banders let me know if this will go away once I can start eating food again?

I am struggling with the emotional after-effects of banding also. When I have really good restriction and am losing weight quickly I am crabby and angry. When I feel like I am eating too much food and not losing quickly enough I get depressed. I am not currently on any meds because I am supposed to be taking Wellbutrin and I stopped because it increased the irritation.

I have MANY MANY blessings to count. However, the stress of being in a job I don't like with a horrible boss AND dieting and making lifestyle changes is really getting to me. :hurray:

starryeyed........................I had the honeymoon effect for the first couple of weeks, but when I tried to add food and then even gained weight I was sooo depressed that I was never going to be able to eat and follow a diet plan. My doctor put me back on Wellbutrim and Paxil that I initially had thought I did not need to take.........I felt soo good,but then the depression and anxiety kicked in and I begain to loose confidence. Now that I have been back on them I feel better already. I say do what ever you have to do to make this new way of life work.....keep coming back. It really helps when everyone posts.

Starryeyed---it is my understanding, that if your depression is triggered by stress, then Wellbutrin is not the proper drug for you, as it is a stimulant itself. There are others that they use for anti depression that are less stimulating. Less likely to increase the irritation....maybe a talk with your Dr. and a simple change in meds is in order.

You are NOT the first person to have mentioned this issue with the Welbutrin---and there are lots of options in medication!

Hang in there!

Kat

I wonder why my Dr. has me on Wellbutrin if it stimulates me, I have major anxiety issues. I have taken Cymbalta and had an allergic reaction to it. I have also been on Paxil, Prozac,Lexapro and Effexor. Effexor worked quite well but was a nightmare to get off of, so I will never take it again. I see my Dr. on Tues. and may have to address the Wellbutrin issue with him. There are so many Meds. that cannot be crushed, I think it limits us somewhat.

Good point! I had not thought of your meds being limited due to what can and cannot be crushed.

When I was banded I eliminated all my prescription meds, so I forget about that!!!

At least you have an appointment to see what your options are! Good Luck!

Kat

Hi all ..............another work day ..................not too bad today. I still get tired easily and then that gas pain kicks in my left shoulder. Shouldn't it be gone by now.............. also my incision sites look great but when I removed the stari-strips my skin was so sensitive that it made huge open area that look like burns..they are scabbed over but still very red and itchy....they might be infected.....guess I will be calling the doctor tomorrow. Oh a note about my Wellbutrin and Paxil. I take Wellbutrin for my minor OCD and the Paxil for depression. I relieves my anxiety and depression very well....take care.