Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Realize band

am i right in thinking the only difference betwen the allergen band and the realize is the way its sutured in there? is there any other difference?

The inner balloon on the J&J booth is smooth, which is different from the new Allergen AP band. As far as I know the J&J band just comes in one size, 9cc I believe. And it comes with a low profile port standard. And yes, the port is attached differently. The J&J band comes with a port applier tool that attaches the port to the muscle instead of stitches.

I have the newer Realize band. My doc switched to those and uses only Realize bands now. Aside from all the differences above, he says there is also higher success rate and less difficulties with the Realize band. He mentioned something about needing less fills and it being more effective at curbing hunger. Not sure if it's true, but he is a teaching physician of lap bands specifically around the world, so I think I'm inclined to believe him. :smile:

your doctor is wrong- there is absolutely NO data stating the results are better and there are less difficulties - it sounds like he is being paid by Johnson and Johnson - Otherwise it really makes no sense to put in 14 year old technology band in a patient when Inamed is selling a Third Generation product. The new studies show LapBand has a 62% excess weight loss at 3 years - the Realize has 43% so Im curious as to where he is getting his info from. Just because he is a surgeon don't think he can't be paid off. The Doctor on Realize's website Dr. Ponce did the study for Inamed which proves their band has higher weight loss yet he switched to the Realize band because they paid him off. The only surgeon using the Realize Band are hacks or guys on the take.

Let's not be too hasty about judging surgeons here. My doctor uses both bands. He likes the online support for Realize. To be honest, I don't use that. I prefer the way my port is attached and the lower (slightly) profile. But he said they are both good and besides the online support, has no preference.

Your doctor is a moron and probably is telling you that so you don't complain. You are a fool if you believe everything your doctor tells you without researching things yourself. There are MAJOR differences in the Realize Band and the Lap Band AP:

If he has no preference then he doesn't know what he is talking about- when you inflate the Realize band it creases and folds on itself in 3 spots like a triangle. The LapBand AP form fits itself to your stomach with 360 degrees of even Fluid distribution. The "artists rendition" pic on their website is a scam - the Realize Band is not pre-curved, it's straight - The LapBand AP is pre-curved. In other words your stomach had to fit itself to the Realize Band over time because it has no curves and is folded on itself. The LapBand AP immediately fits itself to your stomach when it's implanted since it's pre-curved.

This makes the Realize Band:

1) highly susceptible to crease-fold failure and erosion

2) impossible to get an even distribution of Fluid so your entire stomach is fitted to the band

3) its only has one fluid reservoir, the LapBand AP has 7 mini reservoirs with indentations in between so it doesn't crease on itself and erode.

$) It comes in 2 fill volumes 10 and 14cc depending on the patients anatomy. It says clearly in the Realize Band directions NOT to fill it past 9cc or it can erode or break. The LapBands are virtually unbreakable. The Realize Band only comes in 1 size and will burst if you overfill it.

5) When Allergan did a study which was similar in design and technique to The Realize Band - their outcome was 62% excess weight loss at 36 months, the Realize had 43%

The Realize band is not even as advanced as Allergans first generation band which came out 7 years ago. Allergan is already on their third generation band. The Allergan band is also available with a low profile port as well. Their port applicator is not a great device, re-operation rates increased 15% when that item was introduced into the study. The doctors overseas don't even use or stitch on top of it because unless they hit it at the perfect angle, the ports don't stay in place.

If you look at both bands inflated you will see what I mean. Again I challenge you to ask your surgeon how he determines which band (old 14 year old technology/Realize Band) or current technology (LapBand AP System) Please also keep in mind Johnson and Johnson are paying doctors $10,000 per month per physician for advertising costs to use the Realize Band. Allergan doesn't pay off doctors - that may have something to due with his decision. The Realize Band is 14 year old product in a new box which is why they are focusing on marketing their website -NOT their band.

Redstar, it's one thing to be an advocate but something else entirely to stoop to name-calling. Please be advised that such tactics are unacceptable on LBT. Thanks!

And how much are you getting paid by Allergan to bash the Realize band on support websites.

That is what this is a SUPPORT webiste. Where people who have a gastric band come for support from each other. Not to get called names or have their surgeions called hacks or money grubs because they choose to use one band over another.

Remember it is OUR body it is OUR choice to put in it what WE want to. We are here for SUPPORT. Go do your bashing somewhere else.

And I happen to like my Realize band and have no problems with it.

Redstar has obviously done a lot of research. I also read that she/he is a med. student. I am also in the health care field (RN - critical care) but realize that MOST people are not. They come to this site to find out the information that Redstar already has for the purpose of becoming informed to make decisions. Patients need to be trusting of their MDs. Offering opinions and advice without making it personal results in a win-win situation.

There are major differences:

When you inflate the Realize band it creases and folds on itself in 3 spots like a triangle. The LapBand AP form fits itself to your stomach with 360 degrees of even Fluid distribution. The "artists rendition" pic on their website is a scam - the Realize Band is not pre-curved, it's straight - The LapBand AP is pre-curved. In other words your stomach had to fit itself to the Realize Band over time because it has no curves and is folded on itself. The LapBand AP immediately fits itself to your stomach when it's implanted since it's pre-curved.

This makes the Realize Band:

1) highly susceptible to crease-fold failure and erosion

2) impossible to get an even distribution of Fluid so your entire stomach is fitted to the band

3) its only has one fluid reservoir, the LapBand AP has 7 mini reservoirs with indentations in between so it doesn't crease on itself and erode.

$) It comes in 2 fill volumes 10 and 14cc depending on the patients anatomy. It says clearly in the Realize Band directions NOT to fill it past 9cc or it can erode or break. The LapBands are virtually unbreakable. The Realize Band only comes in 1 size and will burst if you overfill it.

5) When Allergan did a study which was similar in design and technique to The Realize Band - their outcome was 62% excess weight loss at 36 months, the Realize had 43%

The Realize band is not even as advanced as Allergans first generation band which came out 7 years ago. Allergan is already on their third generation band. The Allergan band is also available with a low profile port as well. Their port applicator is not a great device, re-operation rates increased 15% when that item was introduced into the study. The doctors overseas don't even use or stitch on top of it because unless they hit it at the perfect angle, the ports don't stay in place.

If you look at both bands inflated you will see what I mean. There is a reason why J&J does not have one picture on their website showing the band inflated - it is abnormally shaped and creases

I'm not getting paid by Allergan- Im trying to educate people because I am very familiar with J&J's clever marketing tactics that dupe consumers into thinking they are getting a better product than they really are. You are right, name calling is inappropriate so I apologize for that.

However - I do challenge anyone getting a band when a physician says these are equal products to explain why. BMW's and Kia's both drive - there are many reasons why BMW's are more expensive if you get my drift. It's YOUR body and you should know if your getting a first generation product vs the latest in medical device technology and have this info so you can your doctor can make a decision

Great! I'm so confused! I just got the Jand J band 2 weeks ago. I had a choice and my Dr. did both. Allergan and JandJ. What gives, what they told me was the JandJ is newer stronger and better. Why would they say that if they provided both bands? Now I'm really freaked out I made the wrong choice. Although most of the people getting un-banded didn't have J and J. I really hope I have great results like the people I've talked to that have it. They've lost over 50% of their weight in about 16 months. Was I scammed? I did do research. It was so different than what I've just read. Now I'm really stressed out!!!

I can't see that anyone would lose more or less weight based on the type of band they chose. I thought they were pretty much the same thing other than the way the port is 'tacked' into place vs. sutured. I'd like some clarification as well...I'm not banded yet, but I'd like to have the choice and be well informed.

Thanks~