Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Numbness to stomach organ? Am I nuts?

Is it possible to lose feeling in your stomach after a procedure like ours? Like numbness or nerve damage to the actual organ? What I mean by that is...I get absolutely NO feelings of being full. Not at all. Not after any amounts of my full liquids. However, after about a cup, I begin burping and I get "the slimes". Is that going to be my ONLY indication of fullness forever? I would love to feel full to help me with this new lifestyle...but I haven't felt full (not once) since being banded on the 4th. I'm getting really worried.

Congrats on your banding....You are still healing so give yourself time. I would not push it at this point and not look to being full. You still should be in the liquid phase...yes? Just remember to sip and take your time. Once you move on to the food stage take it really easy, it will take time for you to get the hang of it and that's why it is really important to go slow. At the beginning, I never knew that I had taken my last bite until I had taken one too many. Too much, too often leads to vomiting and vomiting leads to problems.

Take it easy and you will do fine. Best wishes!

You are going to be redoing the definition of "full" now. Full before was like having a bowling ball in your stomach. Full now will be much higher up, a substantially different feeling. You're in the healing stage now so don't even worry about it. You've got a month or more before things start working.

You are going to be redoing the definition of "full" now. Full before was like having a bowling ball in your stomach. Full now will be much higher up, a substantially different feeling. You're in the healing stage now so don't even worry about it. You've got a month or more before things start working.

I agree with kacee. Your new definition of full will be totally different than before, and on top of it, it will be different from my definition or any one elses either. So, the first few weeks are when you need to just listen to those cues such as burping and sliming when you eat as your body saying "whoa Nelly...that's enough food right now." Then try to remember how much you just ate to give you those cues then next time try to stop just short of it.

We are not really supposed to feel "full" because doing that repeatedly might stretch your pouch. We're supposed to try learning how to feel "satisfied". The next couple of weeks are trial and error but it starts to make more sense once you get the hang of things!

I can totally relate MamaJava, I was banded Oct 5 and I have yet to feel any kind of "full" feeling. All I get it a feeling of discomfort under my sternum which is my cue to stop eating. So I stop eating because I don't want pain to follow, not because I'm full. I guess it's stopping me eating too much anyway but still, I kinda thought it would be different.