Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big decision to make....Help!!

If given the choice, would you have the procedure done with a surgeon who has never done one (but would have a proctor present) and it be free of charge or would you go to a surgeon who has performed thousands and be self pay??? ($8500 in mexico):help:

Holy Crap, that is a big decision. I hate to say I would self pay (since I was insurance), but I think it would be really risky with someone who's never done one.

Best of luck to you.

I'm always a big believer of ' You get what you pay for ' ... I guess I would need to know more details... is the 'free' surgery in Mexico too? Or would it be closer to home? Things like that... That is SUCH a tough one. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Free surgery is in WV where i live and work as a nurse. Have heard mixed reviews on the surgeon (i have never needed to use him for anything in the past) but have never heard of anything really horrible like he killed someone or cut off the wrong part.lol. His proctor is really experienced and is from Kentucky.

Sure. It happens more than you know.

It's common for a un-surgeon to operate with other staff when the real surgeon is there observing.

Remember, all surgeons have been an un-surgeon at one time.

if its in the US and there are going to be experienced docs there, then I tthink I might, since all surgeons have been trainees at one point. that is a tough call, I would do more research on the surgeon himself. take care and good luck.

BTW--- I love my band!!! I am 3 days post op and am sooo soooo happy about my decision.

Hell yeah I would do it...The proctor won't let him do anything stupid. Reminds me of when I was married to husband #1, the dentist. When he was in dental school, I let him do everything I needed, crowns, fillings, onlays, etc, at the clinic in the dental school. Every step of the way he had to get the instructor over to check it. That was in 1984 and I still have every one of the things in my teeth. My current dentist always comments on how nice these things are!

The only thing to think about is, what is going to happen when it is time for a fill? Will he be able to do it without puncturing the tubing? I was the first APS band that my surgeon did. (He had done about 100 of the 4cc bands) I have had NO problems. I think they are overly cautious on the first, and strive to get it right. It may take longer, but I think it would be fantastic to have that opportunity.

Wow-What an opportunity. I am self pay and I am going to Mexico for my surg. I would do it in a heartbeat. After all. You work there. You know what goes on in the O.R. They (the staff-nor the proctor) will let anything happen to you. If anything, this being a newbee- for the surgeon, you will be one of the lucky ones and everything will be talked through.

Best of luck with your decision. If you don't want to do it. I will..lol. I would much rather do it in the states with a trama team on board.

Songgal.....

I think I would go with the surgery with the proctor. The only thing I would think about is after-care, fills and such. Which can be a challenge for those who had surgery in Mexico anyway.

Wow that is a big decision, If you are in good health and the proctor is a respected experienced surgeon then I would go for it. Good luck and best wishes.

I would go with experience. Also, please make sure you have a follow up doctor for your aftercare. Some doctors will not take Mexico patients.

I agree with Pattypoo1. The proctor isn't going to let anything bad happen. I would certainly want to meet the proctor. I would just make sure to write all your questions down so you don't forget when you go for an appointment. By the way, where in WV are you going? Just curious. I'm also in WV and had surgery at Ruby Memorial.

Let us know what you decide.

I would only have the French Mid band placed if I had a choice. It is much "better" ,5x's less complications than the FDA approved ones.

Yes free is great but this is life long implant, less than a good used car.