Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleep Apnea/CPAP Post-Op

I am 12 days post-op and have not needed my CPAP machine since around 4 days out. Anyone else have similar experience? I was so dependent on that machine...I couldn't fall asleep without it. One morning I noticed I had drifted off before putting it on and slept sound. 3 weeks ago this would have been unheard of!

I didn't expect relief of sleep apnea to happen so soon. Needless to say, I'm psyched!:whoo:

Oh I hope I can say the same...My surgery is Thursday...so it looks like you've been doing very well so far I may need some advice!! Keep up the good work and keep me posted an any other NEW & POSTIVE changes

Oh I hope I can say the same...My surgery is Thursday...so it looks like you've been doing very well so far I may need some advice!! Keep up the good work and keep me posted an any other NEW & POSTIVE changes

The biggest and possibly hardest thing I've learned since surgery is to be patient with myself. I have a lot of issues with anxiety and depression and my panic increasing post op because I can't eat to "calm" myself. Just be very in touch with yourself and your health care providers and you'll be fine!

Another positive thing....my gut is further away from the steering wheel in the car :eek:

Everyone says you can see I've lost weight especially in my face.

I had to wear a belt today and it went on the third notch from the end without being tight. I used to have to suck it in to get it on the first notch. It feels great! You're going to love it!:clap2:

I am 12 days post-op and have not needed my CPAP machine since around 4 days out. Anyone else have similar experience? I was so dependent on that machine...I couldn't fall asleep without it. One morning I noticed I had drifted off before putting it on and slept sound. 3 weeks ago this would have been unheard of!

I didn't expect relief of sleep apnea to happen so soon. Needless to say, I'm psyched!:whoo:

How do you know you don't need your cpap anymore?

My doc sleep doc told me I would probably need get down to around 140 before I wouldn't need mine anymore. How much have you lost? I can't wait to not have to ware that head gear to bed everynight.

How do you know you don't need your cpap anymore?

My doc sleep doc told me I would probably need get down to around 140 before I wouldn't need mine anymore. How much have you lost? I can't wait to not have to ware that head gear to bed everynight.

Good question! I should probably schedule a sleep study just to be sure my feeling is correct. Hate those sleep studies though!

Pre-op I lost 20lbs and post-op I've lost 20lbs so far. I didn't notice really serious sleep apnea symptoms until I was well over 300lbs and now I'm almost below 300lbs. To be on the safe side (considering blood pressure and all) I think I will schedule a sleep study...however, I know my need for the CPAP is gone or at least very much decreased because I used to have an almost violent physical reaction to not sleeping with the mask. I would wake up gasping, had horrible headaches, always felt tired...etc. I am able to sleep 12 hours and not wake up once. No gasping, no struggle, no weird dreams, headaches, etc...!

Breathing is so nice :eek:

Congratulations on your weight loss!!!! I know it is hard work even with the band. I can't wait to get mine. I am just starting out though.

I started noticing symptoms when I hit 200 lbs. I started falling asleep at work, talking, giggling, crying and making hand motions in my sleep, snoring like crazy and scaring the heck out of my husband because I stopped breathing. Since my mother and brother both had sleep apnea he knew right away what was going on. We had a freind of the family pass away because he stopped breathing and never caught his breath again. SCARY STUFF!

I hate those sleep studies too. You really should do one though just to make sure you are good to go. Hopefully your are and you can go to bed without looking like an alien. hee hee.

Lisa

I also have a cpap machine and have lost 33 pounds since being banded and have notice that Iam not tired etc any more. I notice I take it off a lot at night and my setting has been changed. I will be seeing my doctor next week to talk more about the weight loss and if I should do another study. I had one 7 months ago. Once I know more about what he says next week I will let you all know.

Chris