Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So what happened at *your* seminar?

My seminar is coming up...I was surprised that before you even get an appt. with the surgeon that we must attend this. Ok, no biggie...so what is it? Information only? Do they weigh you/measure you? Take a health history? I'm wondering what they could talk about for an hour??

Usually a seminar is information only. There is a LOT of information to go over in that hour. It is quite possible that very few people there will have done a lot of advance preparation (like you have by joining LBT), so there are usually lots of questions. You should take a list with you, too (you'll find a couple of GREAT lists in the FAQ and References Forum, just print and take with!).

At my seminar they passed around a band and a port and showed quite a few slides of the anatomy and some pics of the surgery.

At the end they gave us the chance to come and make an appt for a consult.

I attended my seminar Dec. 19th and like you said it lasted about an hour. Nurse came in and we had a chance to ask all kinds of questions, some about the opperation, some about insurance. Dr. came in and went through a slide show with us, showed us the actual band and took questions after that.

I would suggest making a list of EVERYTHING you ever wanted to know about this but were affraid to ask! That's what their there for, to answer all your questions. But make a list, I did cuz I'm very forgetful. I start on one thing and forget about another.

It's a seminar for you, to make sure this is what you want and ask what ever you want. After the seminar those that wanted made an appointment then to see the Doc. Hope this helped.

The seminar I attended in Columbus, Ohio was about an hour and a half and it was in a big auditorium full of people so I didn't feel intimidated at all attending. They had someone who had been successfully banded for a long time who is now a bariatric program coordinator speak for about 20-30 minutes, then a Dr. (surgeon) got up and discussed all the different medical issues and surgery options, then the hospital's business office got up and gave alot of information about the insurance aspects of things.

Go, you won't be sorry!

I would doubt that there will be any weights taken or anything because most of these seminars are designed to introduce you to their practice, explain the band and how it works then give you an overview of how they work with their patients.

The seminar is designed to help you make an educated decision as to whether or not you truly feel the band is something you would like to seriously talk to a surgeon about. I found my seminar to be very informative and helpful.

Enjoy!

The seminar is intended to educate potential patients. Since banding isn't a magic pill, they want to emphasize the importance of education. You need to know as much as possible about it BEFORE you have surgery. It's really sad when someone comes on LBT and say that they've been banded like 2 days ago, and now have NO earthly idea what to expect. They don't understand what's happened to their stomach, they don't know what to eat, and seemingly no one has told them what to do or how to do it. It is our responsibility to educate ourselves about this procedure, even if our surgeon doesn't feel that it's necessary.

Lots of info, time for questions and discussion. My surgeon discussed both gastric bypass and the band and even compared the pros and cons of both. He didn't even seem to lean towards one or the other. He made a point of showing PROS for both and CONS for both.

5 people, including myself. Powerpoint presentation, lots of information, both pros and cons. My surgeon is also a lap band patient, so a lot of it was his personal experience, which was super cool.

I liked it-thought it was informative, and helped me decide I wanted to go through with it.

When I went to my seminar it was a decent sized room with extra wide chairs, which were super comfy (I could actually put my purse next to me in it), and a presentation. I went with my friend who is also morbidly obese and I remember there was this really thin chick who started talking and me and my friend were like, "that chick better have had the lap band!" and sure enough she showed her before picture, and not like she was super big, but I think she was like 225 or so and now she's like 130 and 5'7"... anyway... there was nothing in that presentation I didn't already know from this group and another group I'm on. He compared the bypass and the band and then left it open to discussion then set up any appointments we wanted to set up. It was quick and easy.

I wonder if all seminars have some chick who lost all their weight speaking.

Like all the others here, it was very informative. They passed around a band, some pictures. They had past patients that talked,told of their experience. The Dr came in, had a slide show and opened the floor to questions. They handed out some lititure to take home also. I was so glad I went and took my Boyfriend, he had questions and it actually got him "on Board" to the band.I think alot of Drs require you attend at least one of the seminars. Maybe more.

Thanks for the info. Can't wait!

I'm surprised to read how simple most of your seminars were! Ours went like this:

1 hour seminar in a room of about 15-20 people, and each one was allowed to bring 1 guest if they wanted. The performing surgeon spoke directly to our group for the full hour, covering everything you'd ever wanna know about the surgery. He drew on a dry erase board, answered questions and gave complete info on what was required of all patients pre-sugery, post-surgery and for the rest of their lives. He also explained all dietary info, explained what insurance companies are usually looking for, cost of surgery if you wanted to pay out of pocket...you'd be surprised at how much information you NEED. It's not just time fillers. This information is important.

THEN, we each got to meet with the Doc one-on-one. We were weighed, measured, gave brief medical history, handed in all medical documentation we felt may help our case and to help Doc get to know our bodies better. In that meeting, he took his time (about 20 minutes per patient), and then let each of us know (in private of course) what we still needed to do for approval. OR, if he felt our insurance would approve us already, then he simply signed off on our charts and submitted to insurance that day. Some people were approved within 48 hours. I still needed a Psychological Evaluation, I still needed an EKG, and I still needed a sleep Study...so Doc gave me the info and referrals for all that stuff. I got it all done within 2 weeks and came back for a private follow up visit. I was approved 10 weeks later (after a couple documentation hiccups and my insurance is a big booger anyway).

So...some seminars are very, very detailed and accomplish way more than you can imagine. Others are simply the information and you don't meet with a Doc I guess, but at my facility they try to get almost everything done ASAP since you're already there anyway. My facility and Doc were amazing. :clap2:

My seminar was Nov 17. They discussed Lapband AND RNY gastric bypass. There was a LOT of information and the doctor answered a LOT of questions. At the end of the seminar we were able to make appointments with the doctor, try the Protein Shakes and Vitamins.

They had a woman there that had had lapband surgery and a woman there that had RNY gastric bypass. We were able to ask each of them questions. After the seminar we were invited to stay for a lapband and/or gastric bypass support group meeting. I stayed for the lapband support group meeting and learned a LOT from the people that had already been banded. Attending a support group meeting is a requirement of my surgeon's office also.

I as of last night, have been to 3 Lapband seminars. They were all different. The first one at Barix was the most detailed. We were sent tons of paperwork prior to bring along and then filled out tons more when you arrived. You were worked up ie bloodpressure pulse weight height etc. Then the surgeon spoke a nutrionist spoke and then you met one on one with the surgeon. It was a great set up just too far for me. I then went to Lehigh Valley hospital it was jam packed brief and they charge $500 for their program for 6 mo. Last night I went to my 3rd seminar, which was by far the best. It was a small group. I was given some great info Cd etc a nurse spoke then the surgeon. I just felt very comfortable, all in all I felt comfortable at all of them. I think I learned just as much or not more on here. Good luck you will be fine!