Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Sounds like everyone is doing really well this week. I went to Farmers Market today and got some fresh stuff. Can't wait to try. I start anything on Saturday and this sounds silly but I don't know what to eat. I sure don't want to gain before my first fill. Phyl, congratulations on your weight loss. I think you are doing great. Janet, you will get prayers from me. You girls on here help me so much. Today I was thinking that this is hard but I think its because I am so tired today. Thats when I have to put my guard up (when Im tired). I think everyone is doing well and keep up the good work. We will all get thru this together. Janet I hope (I mean I will) I do as good as you have done cause I know you feel great and thats how I want to feel. See you all tomorrow.

Beckyo:tt2:

I am home! I had to stay overnight because he had to plow through my adhesions and the surgery took awhile. He said he almost closed me up, and cancel the surgery. He said my intestines are encased in adhesions. He definitely would have never done bypass. Anyway, he got through and now I am banded. Yea! I am on liquids and will start Protein shakes this weekend. I am only sore at the port site, but I will keep walking because I know there is still gas in me. Thanks fellow bandsters for the prayers. I felt them, and I am sure the good Lord guided Dr. Garth's hands. By the way, Big Medicine is on Discovery Health tonite.

WooHOO!! So glad it went okay for you. Glad Dr. Garth came through for you. Was he able to remove any of the adhesions?

Tomorrow makes one week. I can't wait for morning so I can have a full liquid. Someone told me to try carnation instant Breakfast. Does anyone have an opinion on this. As long as its not chicken broth or Jello I'm open to any suggestions. Love this site.:thumbup::);)

can you have pudding or yogurt? I drank Isopures, of how about some Protein Shakes?

Congrats to the new bandsters! I know you will all enjoy much success on your weight loss journeys!

Janet: Good luck. You are in my prayers that all goes well.

If anybody could help me with this, I would appreciate it. I feel kind of silly even mentioning it, but I had my first fill on Monday and the bruise around my port is now purple! Does everybody bruise like this when they get a fill? I am very fair-skinned and do bruise easily, but the fill didn't hurt....the bruise did! Also, even though my doctor is happy, I am getting frustrated that the scale is so slow-moving! If only old age would bring me some patience, along with all the other gifts!

Thanks for your help,

Nancy

Slow? And you are down 42 lbs??? That's pretty good!! I didn't bruise from my fill but she sure pushed hard finding it.

Long, you are so sweet....thank you! Maybe I am just tired and grumpy tonight....summer school is starting to wear me down....only 1 more week and then I get a break until August 8. I love teaching, but it can be very tiring!

Each day, I thank God for all the good things he has blessed me with: my friends, my job, my band (yay!) and all the wonderful support I get from friends and this group. I hope you all know how much you help me (and probably many others who don't post), just by your kind words and encouragement and sharing all your struggles.

God bless you all!

Nancy

Hi Everyone! I have been around LBT for a little while but just recently started reading your thread. I was happily banded on June 24th (I am on your list Cathy!) and would like to join your merry band if that is ok! Things are going pretty well for me - I have lost 25 lbs and have been working hard to keep the scale moving in the right direction! I look forward to sharing my experiences with all of you.

Welcome Music Mom! and look forward to hearing from you.

This is a great thread, and the people here are very supportive and knowledgeable.

Even through I was banded April 9th, I'm finally having my second fill today, and I'm so excited because I haven't lost anything in over two weeks (even gained!- but of course I don't back down on my ticker!) - I can eat way too much without any restriction. I've done well...but hate these plateaus--'cuz I figure I could have lost more if it weren't for the slow down! :-) My mini goal is to get 100 pounds lost, and I'm so close but can't seem to get over that hurdle -- so hoping the fill will do the trick!

I am home! I had to stay overnight because he had to plow through my adhesions and the surgery took awhile. He said he almost closed me up, and cancel the surgery. He said my intestines are encased in adhesions. He definitely would have never done bypass. Anyway, he got through and now I am banded. Yea! I am on liquids and will start Protein Shakes this weekend. I am only sore at the port site, but I will keep walking because I know there is still gas in me. Thanks fellow bandsters for the prayers. I felt them, and I am sure the good Lord guided Dr. Garth's hands. By the way, Big Medicine is on Discovery Health tonite.

Charlene - Happy you are home and banded !!! Your port site will be the sorest for a couple of weeks - but as each day goes by it gets bettter and better.. Hugs...

so many newly banded.

be patient and let yourself heal, the most important thing to think about the first few weeks. Take care of you!!!

I think my fil from last wek is adding some reriction. I am eating less, by choice, but when I eat more than I should, which is way less than before my fill, I candefinitely feel the restriction. I hade about 4 oz of shrimp for dinner and it was a few bites too much. So I am still learning my limitsince my fill.

Just hope to keep up on a positive direction while at the beach next weekend. I am hoping for many walks on the beach and reading some good books. Since it is only me there, i will make sure I only buy the food Ican and should eat. At least most of the time. I do want to enjoy some of the beach specialties in moderation!!!

Lynn - I am a yr out and still having to learn not to take those last couple of bites 4_1_217.gif

Tomorrow makes one week. I can't wait for morning so I can have a full liquid. Someone told me to try carnation instant breakfast. Does anyone have an opinion on this. As long as its not chicken broth or Jello I'm open to any suggestions. Love this site.:blink::wub::thumbup:

SkinnyGrandma - The low carb ones were on my doc's list of approved foods but the Protein isn't that much - I made the protein shakes for the 10 days I was on full liquids - but for me full liquids included creamed Soups too - I would have the shakes for breakfast... But I use to drink the instant breakfast along time ago and they are good - make with skim milk to boost your protein...

Thanks! I had laparoscopic, but two sites are two inches long. Yeah, the liquids are boring, but we've gone this far....can't get off the program. Take care!

So True !!!

Congrats to the new bandsters! I know you will all enjoy much success on your weight loss journeys!

Janet: Good luck. You are in my prayers that all goes well.

If anybody could help me with this, I would appreciate it. I feel kind of silly even mentioning it, but I had my first fill on Monday and the bruise around my port is now purple! Does everybody bruise like this when they get a fill? I am very fair-skinned and do bruise easily, but the fill didn't hurt....the bruise did! Also, even though my doctor is happy, I am getting frustrated that the scale is so slow-moving! If only old age would bring me some patience, along with all the other gifts!

Thanks for your help,

Nancy

Nancy - I bruised after my 1st fill cuz it took awhile to find the soft spot in my port - no biggie - Yep we think the weight should be falling off faster than it does. I haven't found that age has made me more paitient in fact I think the oppisitie 4_1_102.gif and thanks for the prayers...

Good Luck Janet, you are in my prayers.

Thanks!!! they are appreciated...

Sounds like everyone is doing really well this week. I went to Farmers Market today and got some fresh stuff. Can't wait to try. I start anything on Saturday and this sounds silly but I don't know what to eat. I sure don't want to gain before my first fill. Phyl, congratulations on your weight loss. I think you are doing great. Janet, you will get prayers from me. You girls on here help me so much. Today I was thinking that this is hard but I think its because I am so tired today. Thats when I have to put my guard up (when Im tired). I think everyone is doing well and keep up the good work. We will all get thru this together. Janet I hope (I mean I will) I do as good as you have done cause I know you feel great and thats how I want to feel. See you all tomorrow.

Beckyo:tt2:

Becky - Yep tiredness is a big food trigger for me - but since being banded I watch out for those times and have a plan... I catch myself looking for high carb foods and then I realize what I am doing and find something to fill that need without being high in carbs or fat - it's all about the brain

Appreciate the prayers.

Hi Everyone! I have been around LBT for a little while but just recently started reading your thread. I was happily banded on June 24th (I am on your list Cathy!) and would like to join your merry band if that is ok! Things are going pretty well for me - I have lost 25 lbs and have been working hard to keep the scale moving in the right direction! I look forward to sharing my experiences with all of you.

Musicmom - Congrats on your 25 lbs - & Welcome

Welcome Music Mom! and look forward to hearing from you.

This is a great thread, and the people here are very supportive and knowledgeable.

Even through I was banded April 9th, I'm finally having my second fill today, and I'm so excited because I haven't lost anything in over two weeks (even gained!- but of course I don't back down on my ticker!) - I can eat way too much without any restriction. I've done well...but hate these plateaus--'cuz I figure I could have lost more if it weren't for the slow down! :-) My mini goal is to get 100 pounds lost, and I'm so close but can't seem to get over that hurdle -- so hoping the fill will do the trick!

Lizalee - You can do it...

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=ZKxdm005YYUS

Hi All,

I haven't posted in awhile here but I feel like I connect to all of you the most. Some of you already know that I live in S. Florida and recently had to relocate to the St. Pete area because of my office closing. I made the move so that I could make my 20 years with the company which will be next year and 20 years brings better benefits at retirement. I am living apart from my husband and adult son, who is high functioning autistic. I am committed to making this year a positive experience for everyone, me, my husband, my son (who could learn to live with a little less mothering at 24) and feel that being by myself most of the time, my weight loss journey will be easier.

I am still planning on seeing my surgeon in S. Florida, since I am here on long weekends on a monthly basis. I was a bit upset at my last appointment because I felt that I should have a fill. I had one on May 19 and just felt that I could eat too much. I lost 10 lbs between May 19 and June 24, my next appointment. The doctor said he would not fill me. He is very conservative and will not adjust if things are going well. I feel very mild restriction and feel that I can eat past it, around it, whatever, but I had no choice but to wait and see what happens in the next month.

When I made the physical move to St. Pete, I was doing lots of lifting and was in severe pain for several days right after the move in my port area. I found a local Lap Band surgeon and went to see him yesterday. My husband wanted me to have a doctor in the area, just in case of an emergency. When I saw this doctor, I could not believe the difference in thinking. My doctor says keep track of calories 1200 - 1400 a day, exercise daily and use the band for the tool that it is. This new doctor says 800 - 1000 calories a day and he was willing to do a fill yesterday even though I have lost 8 more lbs since June 24! In fact, he said, "We will make it real tight".

As I was waiting to be called into the fill room, I got scared. I didn't want to be "real tight". I would like a little more restriction, but at the same time, I don't want to go through the pbing and sliming from a band that is too tight. I decided to tell him that I was not staying for the fill today and that I really just wanted the port checked out because of the pain that I had the week previous. I left and said I would call for an appointment. I don't think I will call for an appointment, though. I think this doctor is too aggressive, while my own doctor isn't aggressive enough.

Whether I am losing weight because of the band or in spite of it, I am going to keep doing what I am doing and talk to my doctor on August 5, when I see him again.

I just wanted to share and see what you all think of this. Thanks.

Alice

Banded April 8, 2008

271/236.5/150

Janet,

I haven't posted in awhile, but I did see that you have some stuff going on that I'm sure has you a little nervous. I am keeping you in my prayers.

Hugs,

Alice

As of this morning, I have lost 20% of me!! And I have gained 200% of feeling good!

I have a friend who is starting the pre-op today (same doctor as me). He has diabetes real bad and his motivation is--he wants to keep his legs! I am rooting for him and will be his "buddy."

I am going to a singles dance this weekend. Don't care to meet Mr. Right or even Mr. Close Enough, but I hope to dance and smile and flirt! The "man" in my life is Phillip---my band. (Get it--Phillip--Fill Up?)

Feeling silly and happy. And healthy--Thank you, God and bless all these wonderful friends on this thread!

Hi Alice, nice to meet you!

According to my understanding, the band is not supposed to "restrict" us or force us to eat less. Its purpose is to dim our appetite so we are better able to control our eating.

How to tell if you need a fill? These are the signs they look for:

• If you are eating your bandster portion of 3 oz. lean Protein and 1/2 cup veggies, with maybe a bit of good carb if you have room, and you are hungry well before 3-4 hours elapse.
  • If you are trolling the house for food between meals.
  • If you aren't losing 1-2 pounds a week for several weeks in a row, or you are gaining.

Good luck!

Orea

Ok....Im not 50 yet but its close enough to start casting a shadow! Its only 8 mos from now.

My weight loss is sssoooooslow. and I was banded in March 2008. I have a doctor appt next week for a fill ( I have had 3 fills for a total of 4.3 in a 10cc band)

Sometimes it feels like I have good restriction especially if I eat something too fast or dont chew well enough...other times its like I can eat everything!

I know the band is only a tool, though, and even though I can eat an egg and bacon for breakfast and a half sandwich and a few chips for lunch and maybe a 3/4 chicken breast and broccoli for supper.....I still need to watch my portions and my selections and not just eat the Soup cause its easy, the chips cause they disintigrate, or the ice cream cause it tastes good and goes down easy.

Its hard to change my habits and watch my portions and lose weight even with the band at times....but the band is a tool that needs to be used properly and my eating habits do not always use it correctly.

What Im confused about is, why I dont seem to be losing even though I have been eating the correct foods, albeit maybe sometimes more than the amount I should(calorie intake is approx 1200-1500 by keeping a food journal) I have joined a gym and am now going 5 days a week for an hour a day,,,walking at least 2 mi at 3.5 mi hr and doing the bike for at least 2 mi with 70rpm that keeps my heart rate to approx 130.

Can my metabolism really be this slow??!! Is it possible I have a thyroid problem even after all the changes Ive made? I have a doctor appt next week to do some bloodwork about it.

Good morning Nifty Fifties! And I am feeling pretty nifty today, down another 2!! That is 4 since my fill on Monday!! WOOHOO!! gotta enjoy it while it lasts! My backdoor neighbor knocked on my door this morning and wanted to know if I wanted to go walking with her. She is recovering from surgery (not bariatric) and needed a walking partner, we were the perfect pair, my bum knee, her slow walk (she has an incision from the sternum to the pelvic area) but we walked longer than either of us intended just because we were gabbing too much! LOL DH got his bike last night and tonight we are going riding. So I've really notched up the exercise lately and I think between that and my fill it's going together perfectly!

JB, I love it "Phillip". I just might have to name my band.

Alice150, gosh could your new surgeon have given you a less agressive fill as sort of a compromise?

Egneb, welcome. Not sure why you wouldn't be losing. Are you sure about your portion sizes when you are logging your foods? For me I could easily eat a bag of chips but then count it as a serving, they are my redlight food! My calories are much lower than that but know different docs recommend different things. Good luck on your testing and hope it gets going again.

Alice, would your doctor at home be willing to refer you to a doctor in your temporary city who may have a more conservative approach similar to the home-town doc? The doctors in a certain type of practice often meet and network. Maybe he could guide you to that person who can be available in an emergency and for advice/treatment when you can't get home and need help.

Alice, You probably can still see that doctor but just tell him you don't want to be "real tight" The dr. should listen to you. You should be the one in control. If you feel you need a slight fill, just tell him that. All you have to say is that you know that when people are "real tight" they have problems eating, pbing, etc. There is no reason he has to give you a fill bigger than you want.