Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

GOOD MORNING!!!!

It's been a crazy week. I had my 1st Dr. supervised wl appt. and so now I just have 3 more to go. WOO HOO!!!!! I also had my psychological clearance and my 1st nutritional consultation, just one more of those to go. YIPPEE!!!! The list is getting shorter. Now I need my cardiology clearance my PFT ( I get it on Mon), Lab work and then the approval from insurance. I CAN'T WAIT!! :thumbup:

Everyone have a TERRIFIC day!!!!:wub:

Hi Yvonne!

The more the merrier!

I've been banded since January and it's been a slow go for me. I am going back for a 3rd fill on Monday.

It is strange, but the only times I have lost any weight to speak of is the two weeks after a fill when you basically cannot eat anything. I am not a big eater (never really was) so it isn't as though I am stuffing myself after that two weeks is up. I only became large after I turned 50. I blame a lot of it on my age. I have changed my eating habits though. I read all the labels and try to stay away from all fat (although you can't exactly eat ZERO fat). I also stay away from sugar, Splenda items only. And I cannot eat bread because of the band, so that is out now.

I am disappointed that the band isn't helping my more, BUT I have lost 25 pounds so I don't wish I hadn't done it. It is just going to take me longer than some of you.

Welcome!

Cindy

Memphis TN

Think of it this way... It's better then gaining 25lbs. WRIGHT??? So,, it's a slow go.. It will still come off. You got to have patience with this. Or join the starvation nation... You don't even want to no how many people have gone there. Give yourself time. If you stop loseing weight, You'll start loseing inches!!! Any loss is a plus. So be glad at least it is coming off. Shirley

Phyl: What did I say wrong??? I was just passing along some Great Information. I use this stuf myself! So,,,, is there something wrong with putting my thoughts into words? Let me no. I did not see the word hope mentioned. It's 5:00 A. M., I could be missing something. Let me know.

Shirley......

Just teasing you Shirley....

your signature....

after your goal it says "I hope"!!

It IS great information.

Janet likes to scold people when they use the word "hope"... encouraging us to be more positive about ourselves. We have been fighting this weight/food battle for so long we tend to think of ourselves as pre-programmed to fail.

HUGS!

Didn't mean to upset you!!

It was just in fun!

LOL I am trying to get there someday...

sometimes the NSV are better than the SV. At least now I am losing about2# per week, but know it may change anytime.

But the change in how my clothes fit and how I feel is a great measurement of this ban helping me to wor for my own improvement of mind, body and lifestyle..

Shirley - She was kidding you !!!! In your signature you have your weight and the words "I HOPE" after your goal weight she was refering to me as I beleive in Positivite affirmations - We don't use the words Hope it's replaced with I will - I'll try is replaced with I will do... I get after people here for using that termantolgy - my new saying is "It's not that you can't do it - it's cuz you think you can't"

Again she was teasing you - We don't fight on this board - we all get along - I am known though for giving tough band love - but the operative word being love...

SHIRLEY - TAKE THE WORD TRY OUT IMMEDIATELY AND REPLACE WITH THE APPROATIED WORD - WILL

I SEE THAT BEFORE I GOT THIS POSTED THAT PHYL HAS REPLIED - I MEAN IT WE HAVE TO THINK IN A POSITIVE FASHION IN ORDER TO WIN THIS BATTLE - IF YOU THINK YOU CANT - THEN YOU WON'T - IF YOU THINK YOU CAN YOU CAN.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Carol - I have been missing you - I was wondering what happen.. Glad you are back an all is good..

Yvonne - Welcome our paths have already crossed as I have seen you on some other threads that I have posted on .

The 50 + gang is really where I started my journey - they are great - Denise - Phyl and I are the only members still posting since I joined last May..

Lynn you are in bandster hell - time between banding and 1st fill - as the saying goes just cuz you can eat more doesn't mean you should. (band rules) 1st what are you eating - need example of days food - prior to my 1st fill I think I was eating like 2 cups of food for dinner - Breakfast is always light for me and lunce was meat and veggies.. If you are straving and just can't distract yourself - eat extra veggie.

_____________________________________________________________--

Ok someone is having problems with milk - I don't remember who and you guys are posting so much while I am typing this reply - i forgot who it was.

Anyway - I don't have problems with dairy - but we do have a girl on our monthly group who hasn't been able to eat dairy since banding - you are the 2 person I have heard this from - so not much help -Sorry

Playful - what are you eating - give me an example are you exercising..

Your band doesn't make your food choices - it only restricts portion size.

Ok gang - if I missed you - sorry but I keep getting interruptions - I am at work and really should be workng - so am going to post - and get my butt in gear ..

Hi everyone,

I am new and have only posted a couple times. I am still waiting to go to my first meeting on the 12th, but have made of my mind this is what I need if the dr. will agree. I have two questions if anyone can help answer since I have not been able to talk to the dr. yet. I am lactose intolerant. I can do yogurt and cheese, but no milk, ice cream, puddings, gravy, etc. Will this be a problem with nutritional needs? Also, besides being a diabetic, I had a colon resection in 1999 due to colon cancer of the sigmoid colon. Will this affect the WLS? Thanks for letting me barge into this group. Dianne in MO

Hi everyone,

I am new and have only posted a couple times. I am still waiting to go to my first meeting on the 12th, but have made of my mind this is what I need if the dr. will agree. I have two questions if anyone can help answer since I have not been able to talk to the dr. yet. I am lactose intolerant. I can do yogurt and cheese, but no milk, ice cream, puddings, gravy, etc. Will this be a problem with nutritional needs? Also, besides being a diabetic, I had a colon resection in 1999 due to colon cancer of the sigmoid colon. Will this affect the WLS? Thanks for letting me barge into this group. Dianne in MO

Hi Bev

No the lactose intolerant won't affect surgery - you can use juice (lite) with your Protein drinks - as far as the colon I don't have the fainst and the band helps cure diabietes

i think I am eating an average meal. Breakfast can be a Protein bar or maybe oatmeal. lunch is meat, 2-3 oz and veggies, 1/2-3/4 C

a snack mid afternoon and mid morning (string cheese, yougurt, fresh fruit) dinner is meat and veggie, same amount as lunch. and always Water, and more water. and usally a snack sometime after dinner, before 9pm.

Sounds like you are eating well - but you might want to increase your protein some - 3 -4 oz of meat - I don't see any starches - you might want to add a little baked potato to dinner or even lunch

When you are hungry find a distraction - and if that doesn't work then just eat extra veggies. during the day at work I ususaly don't have a problem - I have some dry roasted edamame that I will snack on during the day and nights which is my worst time - I have 100 c snake pack popcorn..

Hi, I will be 50 in June! Yikes how did that happen. I haven't had my surgery yet, but I am getting close. I have gone to the first group session, I have be approved as a canidate, and have been contacted for my appointment with the surgeon. I think it is easier to get scheduled to see the Pope!

I still have to have a pysh. nutrition, and sleep study.

I am self pay so I don't have towait for the insurance stuff.

Any guess on how long it will be til the surgery?????

:thumbup: I have been reading everything I can about the personal experiences of others. I also have a friend at work (I'm a nurse) who was Banded 4 weeks ago. She as lost 16 pounds.

Tell me more, Lynda

Hi All and thanks for all the welcomes and best wishes. Saw the Dr today and he was happy with my progress (10 lbs since op on 4/23rd and 25 total now). He has moved me to diet of mushies for next 2 weeks and then to soft foods the following 2 weeks. I'm so excited to have more options to eat. My first fill is not until May 30th.

He said to start working out slowly and build up. I had broken my right foot on Feb 18th so I am still healing from that too and I didn't tell him about that because I didn't want that to affect my having surgery. I took off my boot from the Orthopedist and wore my tennis shoes, walking very delicately, when I went in to see him twice before surgery and told him I had a small turn of the ankle which was healing fast..... He did say, "Well you have to be mobile to be able to have the surgery" and I told him that I was up and about and on my eliptical so it didn't become an issue. I am up to 15 minutes on the eliptical as regular walking is still too slow and probably not helping much excercise wise and want to work that out to more but I can't do my health rider (which is like a rower) yet because that pulls on my abdominals.

I did have questions on what is NSV and SV and PB? Gotta get up on my lapbandonics....:thumbup:

Its a happy day for me:thumbup:. Have a great weekend everyone.

Yvonne

If I can get that Ticker thing to work! I'll take advise, and then give me a little time. Cause it's the weekend, AND I'M OTTA HERE.....

Shirley.

Welcome Beach Bum, my thoughts are with you today as you get banded and start your journey to permanant weight loss!! I read a lot but rarely post but realize I need to do this more. Like most of us, I have been a professional dieter and can lose the wt but not keep it off. The band is a wonderful tool for me. I was banded 10/19/07 and have lost 78 lbs. I had a small set back last week and had to have an unfill(boy never want to do that again, not only painful but now without restriction until next week.) It was definitely a learning experience but I am still so pleased. Welcome again and know that there is lots of support on this forum.

Mary

Highest 400+

Surgery 276.5

current 199.5 (yeah! Onederland)

Goal: 135