Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Well,, while in the Hospital, Therapy comes to you, and they work you.

When I was going home. I told the Case Manager I wanted a PT to come to my house. "NO PROBLEM!! BETTER HANDS ON CARE" Then the Dr. sent me to a facilitey for out patient. Now for the other knee. He skipped the out patient care. He said "you know what to do. "

The best thing is just take your time, and walk. I don't know what state you live in? My guess is you would have to travel here to Mich., if interested. I have a great Dr., with a great track record. I would highley recomend him. Especially after hearing all the nightmares that i've heard. He's 5***** plus!

Shirley..

Thanks for the info, Shirley.

I am in WA state. I had at home PT after the partial, but only for 2 wks. I had exercises I was supposed to do every day but I wasn't very diligent about it. I will do better this time! I will know more after I meet the surgeon on Wed. I'm still toying with the idea of doing both knees at once, but I'd have to persuade the surgeon AND my DH who is pretty adamant about not doing it that way! My SIL, who has had lots of knee problems and several surgeries including a total on one of them, says this doc I'm going to this week is one of the best in the area. That was good to hear.

4_7_8.gif

Hi Judie!

I'm in Sylacauga, AL!!! We have an Alabama forum too, Alabama Local Lap-Band Support - Lap Band Talk Forum - The largest forum for Lap Band Surgery Discussion and Lap Band Surgery Support . Who's your doctor?

Sounds like you're doing great. And what a wonderful quote you found. It really fits here. I know I have found everyone here to be so inspirational. So many new friends :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Hello Diane:

I can't believe this! Sylacauga!! Anyway, my doctor is Dr. Tim

Christopher in Shelby County. He is the greatest! Where will

you be having your surgery? If I can give you any tips, let me

know.

Quote:

"The only way to be a friend is to be one".

_Emerson

Hi Judie!

I'm in Sylacauga, AL!!! We have an Alabama forum too, Alabama Local Lap-Band Support - Lap Band Talk Forum - The largest forum for Lap Band Surgery Discussion and Lap Band Surgery Support . Who's your doctor?

Sounds like you're doing great. And what a wonderful quote you found. It really fits here. I know I have found everyone here to be so inspirational. So many new friends :biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Hello Diane:

I can't believe this! Sylacauga!! Anyway, my doctor is Dr. Tim

Christopher in Shelby County. He is the greatest! Where will

you be having your surgery? If I can give you any tips, let me

know.

Quote:

"The only way to have a friend is to be one".

_Emerson

Hi Nip50:

That's great! I look forward to hearing from you from time to time.

Oregon? I've never been there, have heard it is really beautiful.

It is lot like Alabama (farming, etc.)

Have you learned to like turnip greens?

They are really a great Fiber food!

Anyway, I wish you well.

Thanks, Judi! I'm sure after surgery I'll be asking for scads of tips. I'm using Dr. Schmitt in Birmingham. I have a girl in my office, that was banded Friday. She's my guinea pig! But, it's nice to know there's someone else right up the road when I scream for help!!!:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

Hello JBFlorida:

It's just wonderful hearing from so many "southerners"!

I remember my pre-op time. I was really getting anxious

to have the surgery! Your progress now will help you

as you are decreasing your caloric intake currently.

It is hard when you were eating more food.< /p>

The adjustment will be easier and will help your

stomach adjust to the smaller amounts!

I will be praying for you!

Edited by judie

Judie - No, I still can't stand turnip greens, grits, or fried okra and I don't think I ever will. Not that I'm bias or anything, but I do think Oregon is one of the most beautiful places I've ever been. It just seems to have it all from the beaches, mountains, deserts, etc.

Diane - I see your surgery is getting close. Good luck.

Hi All,

I was banded on Apr 23rd but I'm a little confused on where I am on this. I am banded but with no restriction since I haven't had a fill yet. But there is some restriction because the band is there, right? How much can I ingest? I'm not feeling hungry and continue with my small meals but seems I can eat about a cup full at a time and I'm drinking/sipping all day. I know it will get tighter with the fills but can someone explain how this all works? How much I would eat after a fill? And then that stretches out to more little by little? :confused2:

The Dr put me on mushies as of May 2nd but I pushed it and ate a chicken leg that nite. It took me about 1/2 hr to get it down but I had no problems with it.

As of Fri the 2nd, I had lost 10 lbs in 9 days since surgery but I didn't lose anything since then. Kind of bummed me out. I am up to 20 minutes on my eliptical so I am exercising but maybe that isn't enough.....

My port is still pretty sore especially when I tried to twist around to reach for something and OMG, I thought I had popped stitches....:thumbup:

Thanks for all help to make this clearer to me. You are all the best.:)

Yvonne

Glad to hear that. As long as you know he's good, thats what counts.

You should be able to Google his name, and come up with something.

Sounds to me like you have it all figured out.It pays to do your research. Shirley...

yvonneb3: Be careful!!! You shold eat what your Dr. tells you.

I have the feeling, "I hope i'm wrong" that you don't know, or maybe don't think that you are still going to be counting calories? If not ask your surgeon, once you get a fill what your total calorie consumption for the day should be? He'll tell you. I keep a journal and try to stay between 700-900 a day. If I go over 900,,, O well, there is always tommorow to get it together again, But I do try to stay in my boundry. Good Luck! Shirley..

Yvonne - I also count calories and I log them on fitday.com, but with the mushie stage that's a little hard to do. Right now what's important is to let your stomach heal. I did watch what I ate and still managed to loose, but many do not during this stage. Don't get to frustrated. Give your band time to heal and you need time to get some fills. Many people have some restriction with just the band and others can eat most anything they want, so you need to be careful not to overeat once you're off mushies.

My doctor says that once I'm at a sweet spot that I should only be able to eat 1/2 cup food at a time. Some of us get by with a little more than that. I probably eat 3/4 to 1 cup of food at a time and this works great for me. You will just have to wait and see what works for you. Good Luck.

Hey Judie! - Welcome! You're doing great so far and I just love this over 50 group. Everyone is so nice and supportive. I'm a southern transplant. I've been in Georgia for 14 years now, originally from Oregon. I love living in a small town, but really miss Oregon, it's like a foreign country down here. Keep up the good work.

I am originally from Chicago but I would really miss Oregon is I ever left here!

Yea, We are a chatty bunch of over 50's here!

I am going to unsubscribe to all my threads except this one. I am going to Arizona for about 2 1/2 weeks. I have to use the library computer and I only get an hour. I am kind of excited that I am going to meet up with 4 other people I found on the Arizona thread and have a mini lap band support meeting!

Yesterday I lost a very dear friend to lung cancer. She was diagnosed right after Katrina hit New Orleans while undergoing tests to give her sister a kidney. She had been fighting the battle ever since. I'm so upset that I can't be there with my best friend, her sister, to hold her and tell her I love her. I've cried until there are no more tears, but it just hurts so bad. They are in Baton Rouge and I'm in Ga with a husband that is too sick to travel right now and I can't leave him alone.

I'm sorry to be so down, but I just needed to talk and I know ya'll are always here to listen. Thanks for letting me lean on you...

I am so sorry about your loss - I totally understand - I lost my bff in 92 she was only 51 - it's so very hard - especially since you couldn't be there - you were with her in spirt and that's what count.

Hugs - we are her for you..

Thanks to everyone who writes on this board. I get my band tomorrow morning at 8 am. I am very excited and not as nervous as I was before I started to read this board. I will let everyone know how it goes. Thanks again!!

Hey Gang you have been busy the last few days!!!

Saturday had my StageCoach Fest - Saw Bucky Covington, Taylor Swift, the Judds, Dirks Bently, Rascal Flatts then yesterday GS (17) and I spent the day together...

There is so much to respond to - but the site is so freaking slow.. I am cooking dinner so only have a few minutes -

Denise when do you leave for AZ - how cool that you will meet some other banders from here. What day will you be flying over my area - tell me the time and I will go outside and wave:lol::smile:

I am a natural born Desert Rat - Born in Indio CA - but my Mom was from Texas - I love greens - okra - fried chicken -corn bread - cream gravy - grits - backfat/salt pork - anything fried and dripping in butter - all the food that went in to making me fat:tongue: - I made a pot of greens a couple of weeks ago and had some boiled orka in my rice - but as far as the fried and dripping in butter those days are long gone - :)

As to how much you eat - my doc really didn't give me a limit he just said low fat and sugar free - I follow a Weight Watcher eating plan - I don't count points - I do count calories and keep a food diary

I had 10 days on each stage and ate about 1 cup of food per meal and toward the time I got my 1st fill I ate maybe 2 cups - but one cup was all veggies. I know alot of people say that they gain during mushies but I didn't.

This is where I feel that counting calorie is very important - ya mashed potatoes are a mushies - and aren't too bad as long as you don't load them with butter. I would say mushie stage I was eating about 1 cup of food. I have always kept my calories 900-1200 on average and I didn't start exercising till 6 weeks out - I let my body heal.

Jbflorida - You got it - I will !!!!

Southerngal -Brenda - I saw you posted we've missed you.

Carol - luvrocks - you too I saw you posted but that was 3 pgs back and you all UNDERSTAND THE 50 YR OLD BRAIN - CRS (can't remember sh*t)

Ok buzzer going - I am hungry - did 1 hr weight (legs) with my trainer tonite - I am going to be sore in a couple of days - I wanted to work legs tonite - so that they wouldn't be sore for this weekend when I go see my Man Trace Atkins - I wanta be able to walk :thumbup: and DANCE - great NSV when you lose weight - you can dance again !!!!!

Well ck back later - drink your Water !!

TTYL