Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feel like the slowest lap band loser ever!!

In two days I will have had my band for 5 months and in that time how much have I lost - 9.7kgs (21lbs)!! I exercise for 30 - 45mins per day and at max eat 1200 calories - usually around 1000. I love seeing everyones success story and feel really happy for them but on the other hand I feel a bit frustrated. Why can't I do this!!! I had visions of being at my goal by my bandverisary but at this rate I just don't know that my goal (another 27kgs/60lbs) is even possible.

I am ready to accept the award for slowest lap band loser ever!!:faint:

Bex

It's so funny you write this, Beka, because Jackie just started a thread too, entitled "Feeling Down", with the same topic~!

I responded to Jackie by relating what I've done over the last 6 weeks--examine everything I'm doing with regard to eating, liquids, exercising, and logging everything to see where I have flaws. And it's worked--I saw exactly where I was falling down!

Best wishes to both of you--we're all going to be okay!! :)

Try changing up your exercise and your caloric intake. Maybe you aren't eating enough??? Try varying it from day to day and also try uping your exercise a few days a week. Maybe some variation will make you lose faster. Also how often are you eating. I eat 5-6 small meals a day to keep my metabolism running high. There is a lot of research to support this and its working for me for the most part (although I have hit a plateau this past few weeks, but after 77lbs lost its to be expected UNFORTUNATELY)

Good luck you can do this!!!

Are you exercising? Exercise is key, even if it's just a 30 minute walk a few times per week.

Also, five months---4 weeks/month x 5 = 20 weeks. You've lost 21 pounds. That's great. Throw in a little more exercise and you could possibly double that in the next 20.

Frustrated as well about not losing fast enough (of course, the holidays do make it tough to get through). I've lost 32.5 lbs. since banded late June last year.....BUT, I had blood clots after surgery :faint: (birth control was the MAJOR clincher, so beware ladies!!), so I was unable to exercise properly or get fills due to the injections needed for the band. Now that I'm down to my last month on blood thinners and starting to get back into the gym, I want to crank up my weight loss. :dance:

My big question is....how do you know when you have enough liquid in your band? I was under the original impression that when you can only eat not more than 1/2 cup at a time you were "there." Even following the lap band rules - no drinking before/during/after meals - I can still eat 1 1/2 cups before I feel full, but not stuffed, just satisfied. :hungry: In my thinking, that sounds like I need another fill. I have a 10 cc VG band with 5.5 ccs in it but I can feel my food plop right through the band. My doc said (when he gave me the last .5 cc) that 6 ccs felt too tight, but I'm just not convinced I'm set up right. Can anyone who is more experienced than myself give me some insight on this one? Any advice is appreciated...:help:

Banded 6/27/07 at Manatee Memorial Hospital in Brandenton, FL. Dr. Jose Erbella and Dr. Gary Bunch, surgical team.

weight.png

make33 - I read your advice on jackie thread, thanks for the great advice - going to sit down today and go through my food and exercise diary with a thin tooth comb. I am not going to let this beat me!!!

jfran - I think I might see if upping my calories does it cause I have seen a lot of people who seem to be 1300 - 1500 that are having great results. Who would have thought you needed to eat to loose weight!!!

LapBandit - At the moment I exercise 30-45mins a day that's why I am surprised that I haven't lost more. Do I have to do more than this?

PamJ4 - I also have the 10cc band and am currently at 5.8cc I am going in to get another .2 on Friday. I used to have 6cc but found it hard after a week so got it taken out but now I feel ready for it again. Hopefully after this one things will start moving in the right direction.

I like the advice LapBandit gave you! As well as the others! If you look and see that you are losing an avg of one lb a week, that rocks! I know it's not fast, and I'm a super slow loser...I'd KILL to lose one lb a week! Are you lifting any weights? They really help build muscle and burn fat and you will lose inches, too, which is a huge bonus! Vary your exercise, as mentioned above! Maybe take a spinning class or something to really torch the calories. I do one hour of cardio and lift weights....jack it up on a few days a week...and make sure you are sweating and working in your target heart range to burn it off! I also agree that logging food is essential...we often eat more than we think we do!

Keep going!!!

My big question is....how do you know when you have enough liquid in your band? I was under the original impression that when you can only eat not more than 1/2 cup at a time you were "there." Even following the lap band rules - no drinking before/during/after meals - I can still eat 1 1/2 cups before I feel full, but not stuffed, just satisfied. :hungry: In my thinking, that sounds like I need another fill. I have a 10 cc VG band with 5.5 ccs in it but I can feel my food plop right through the band. My doc said (when he gave me the last .5 cc) that 6 ccs felt too tight, but I'm just not convinced I'm set up right. Can anyone who is more experienced than myself give me some insight on this one? Any advice is appreciated...:help:

Everything I have learned & read states that when your band is at the sweet spot, you will be satisfied with 1 to 1.5 cups of food....NOT 1/2 cup. If you eat your lean Protein first, then veggies, then carbs, don't drink with meals, and that keeps you satisfied for 3-4 hours, your fill level is right. Sometimes you do hear 1/2 or even 1/4 cup, but that is closer to the gastric bypass patient requirements.

Here is a good guideline for knowing when your fill is right:

Adjustments

I stole it from a guy's blog, but it is posted in multiple places on the Web. :rofl:

In two days I will have had my band for 5 months and in that time how much have I lost - 9.7kgs (21lbs)!! I exercise for 30 - 45mins per day and at max eat 1200 calories - usually around 1000. I love seeing everyones success story and feel really happy for them but on the other hand I feel a bit frustrated. Why can't I do this!!! I had visions of being at my goal by my bandverisary but at this rate I just don't know that my goal (another 27kgs/60lbs) is even possible.

I am ready to accept the award for slowest lap band loser ever!!:faint:

Bex

Beka, you ARE doing this! You are losing an average of 1 lb per week, which is TOTALLY within the expected range. I am also losing 1 lb per week--it feels very slow, but I just have to keep reminding myself that it's a safe rate of weight loss and it's what the band is SUPPOSED to do. If you are exercising and losing weight at this rate, you are most likely losing fat and preserving muscle, rather than losing your muscle along with your fat. Remember what happens from all the past diets that failed? You lose the lean muscle, then you regain MORE fat than before...if you are exercising and preserving the muscle, and building more muscle, then you will INCREASE your metabolism and be more successful in keeping weight off.

This journey is long and tough at times. You HAVE to keep reminding yourself why you are doing it, and give yourself credit for losing 21 lbs in 5 months. I don' t know about you, but if I didn't have my band, I would definitely have GAINED weight in that amount of time. Try not to compare yourself to others. I've done it too, and it's very tempting, but this is very individual and the weight won't just drop off for most of us. As long as you continue losing at the rate of 1-2 lbs/week AVERAGE, you are doing fine. If you are ever wondering if your fill level is right, check out the link I put in my above response. It's very helpful.

Chin up, girl, and keep up the great work! :clap2:

Beka - I think one pound a week is awesome.... Please don't compare yourself with others' rates.

I was watching the Biggest Loser last night and those people busted their butts working out and most of the women only lost one-3 pounds and a few didn't lose any and one even gained a pound. Then the one guy that was considered "lazy" and didn't do much lost weight and everybody was shocked. So, this shows you that all of our bodies are just different. (ESPECIALLY MENS AND WOMEN"S)

But even losing 1 lb a week is still good... If you lost one pound a week for a year that's almost 50 pounds. In two years that's 100 pound loss. And will probably put you at goal. Good luck sugar!