Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

not banded yet

I am hoping to have my band done in the next two months. I want to know if anyone in Birmingham, Alabama who has Viva insurance had any problems with them covering the surgery. I call them last year and they said if would be covered in 2008. I am not sure they will:help:

I had Blue Cross. They did great. I used Dr. Touliatous at Trinity in Birmingham. They had to repair a hernia first. What a surprise. I'm 4 weeks post op and still eating mostly liquids and staying less than 1000 cals.

Good Luck:)

this is my first time visiting this site. I live in Bessemer/McCalla area. I'm getting band on 2/13/08. Dr. Cottingham is during my surgery. I'm a little scared but ready. I'm taking all suggestions on what to eat and what not to eat.

Hi,

Congratulations! Hope things go well for you. Are you asking about pre or post operation? I had to restrict to 1000 calories 1 mo prior.

Post is mostly "full" liquids which include Jello, pudding, cream Soup without chunks, Protein Shakes, etc. All sugar free and fat free. Sugar free popsicles are great. They have the same good taste and are cool on your throat. After 10-14 days you can try other things that are thicker. You can buy Protein at Wal-Mart near the Prescription drug side. whey protein in either vanilla or chocolate. GNC has protein power. Campbells has soup at hand in Tomato, cream of chicken, and others that are quick and easy. Carnation instant Breakfast that is sugar-free is good to mix in milk with the protein power for a better flavor.

Thank for the tips. When did you get band? How much did you lose in the first couple weeks? Also I'm planning on going back to work on the 6 day after my band.

I was banded 12-11-07. I lost 8 pounds by 2 weeks. I went back at 4 weeks and had lost 4 more for a total of 12, I've been averaging about 12 pounds a month. Everyone is different, the more you have to loose the faster you loose. I've had to be careful to stick to calories I can count, like liquid, yogurt, Jello, pudding, Soups,etc. I was off for 4 weeks. I was really tired that first couple of days back. I'm a nurse in a busy unit. That was the most work I had done since surgery.

I can eat out if I'm careful what I choose. Cream Soups, verry runny potatoes or foods. I like Panera bread, I get Soup and eat the meat out of a sandwich, but very slowly. I had a fill at 4 weeks, (1cc), and felt like post surgery. It's better now. I have found Protein bars in chocolat and yogurt nut that help with the candy bar craving. I don't want those sugary Desserts any more. I do occasionally eat a small piece of mint, chocolate, or cookie.

The best part is trying on clothes that use to be tight and hang on you! I can also go into regular XL clothes in some stores. What a Rush!!

Good luck to you. I definately know this is what I needed to do. I don't relapse to the old size after a month of dieting, I see permanent progress.

Hey Have you called your insurance company this year? When you call just make sure you say " adjustable lap band" as there are other types of bands out there even if they are not widely used. Also make sure to ask what their requirements are as it differs between insurance co. Some have diet requirements others like mine didn't seem to be too strict and based it mostly on BMI and history of obesity. I have United Healthcare and they told me it would take a month or more to find out if I was approved or not and it took about a week. Have you been to an information seminar yet? They give you alot of good information about insurance. I went to my seminar back in Oct but couldn't get my intial consultation until Jan. Dr Touliatis will be doing my band also. I am just waiting to be put on the surgery schedule.

I'm getting band on 2/13/08. Dr. Cottingham is during my surgery. I'm a little scared but ready.

How's it going? Did you do well? Thinking about you.:thumbup: