Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My port hurts

I am 2-1/2 weeks postop and every time I bend or twist my port feels like it's pulling. It is very sore and for the first time since the week of the operation I could easily take some drugs. I also can't sleep on my side or tummy yet. I'm getting very uncomfortable still sleeping on my back. Is it normal to feel this way still?

I am 2-1/2 weeks postop and every time I bend or twist my port feels like it's pulling. It is very sore and for the first time since the week of the operation I could easily take some drugs. I also can't sleep on my side or tummy yet. I'm getting very uncomfortable still sleeping on my back. Is it normal to feel this way still?

I wish I could tell you if what you are feeling is normal, I am 8 days postop and I too am feeling something strange on my right side, more when i stand to get out of a chair or just move wrong. I wondered if it could be just the healing process, hopefully someone will have the answer.

This happened to me. The pain almost went away and then I accidently twisted way too fast. Then the pain was really bad for about 3 days. Now it's completely gone. I still can't sleep on my port side though...I can feel it under the skin when I do that...like the princess and the pea, only it's the princess and the port! You are still healing...give it some more time. Get some Extra Strength Tylenol- it works pretty well.

Hi,

You should start feeling better with each passing day. I have to say I felt discomfort in that area for about a month. I am two months post-op and feel almost nothing there - I do notice if I do a lot physically I still feel muscle soreness there even now. But for the most part I feel pretty much back to normal.

Unless the pain is really bad then I'd say it's normal. Your port is sutured into your muscle wall. Muscle takes a long time to heal and adjust to having a port attached to it. Mine was sore for awhile too but now I don't even know it's there. Give it another week or two and I think you should start noticing it less.

Sounds pretty normal to me. According to my doctor, your outside healing is done WAY before the inside healing. It takes much longer for the muscle tissue to heal after surgery. Your port is also stiched in place - these stiches can take up to 6 weeks to fully heal (which is why they don't want you lifting anything heavy for weeks).

Every day you'll start feeling better - but that port area had a lot of manipulation. For me it was even a bit sore when the doctor was poking around for my first which was 7 weeks after surgery.

Just give it time. It will get better, but it does sound pretty normal.

When I began working out at the YMCA at seven weeks, I suddenly had such pain in my side--but kept on working anyway. Then I felt a hard ball when I sneezed and was absolutely positive I had a hernia.

Fast forward to eleven weeks in the surgeon's office getting my second fill and I had him check it out--he just said "Silly--that is your port!!" :)

Going back to the YMCA this week again--but adjusting the two exercises that were the cause of my port pain.

As was said, it's a foreign item attached to muscle--it may cause us pain from time to time! (Yes, took about a month after surgery for the port pain to subside...) :)

Yea I just started sleeping on my left side without discomfort a few weeks ago. That was the hardest thing for me post-op was to sleep on my back. Twisting my body just hurt. I gets better with time. Hang in there.