Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I Eating Too Much?

I'm 4 days post-op and I was last told to only eat 2 oz. every hour, but I think that's too little. I mean, right now I'm drinking High Protein Slim-Fast 11 oz. drink, so am I violating the rules?

I don't think I'm getting enough protein, so I think I need this.

Well, apparently I can't have Slim-Fast. I just spoke to the dietitian and she said that I can only have 2 oz. every hour so the Slim-Fast could only be consumed over a 5 1/2 hour time period. Even though it is 15 grams of Protein, she said it is a poor way to get the 70 grams that I need every day.

She said I need to consume the high-protein powders with my meals. Boy that sucks!

I tried 8 oz. of Scitec Nutrition's Protein Delite just prior to my surgery and could hardly stomach it. I had a sick sweet coconut smell. I mixed with Water, but half-way through I had to mix some milk with it.

How can people do this??

i'm 5 weeks out.....i never ever after banding could have any liquid calories...no Protein Drinks no slim fast... at first i could only eat about 1 oz if i was lucky...of the broth...i was on clear broth for 2 weeks... mushies for one week then ...the doc said..eat whatever i want in moderation....eat till i was satisfied.... and it's helped...i havent weighed myself since my 2 week visit ...i go back jan 8 for my first fill...however......i am starving at times!!!! and the holidays ..ugh...i ate good.....i still feel like i'm losing though.... So ..heads up ...if a greedy gus like me can do it , you can to. it'll pass ..then you can eat 3 normal meals ...with a snack if you wanna.... now i eat normal food....i do choose to take bread out.....or rice...or potato.... but they are on my list ..i can have them.... so it'll get better i promise!!!! gl gl :) you have to grieve your' friend food.... i know i did and still do!

I was told shakes are alright, so I dunno.

You're still on liquids? They said mix powders with your 'meal', what is your meal? If it's still liquids, ignore this..

But if you're on solids, the canned chunk ham/turkey/chicken are super high Protein and low calorie.

I've eaten some yogurt (not a full 6 oz. cup, just about a third) since I first started this thread. I covered the Slim-Fast and put it back in the fridge. I'm hungry right now. I last ate about 30 minutes ago.

I usually squelch the hunger with Water, so I'm not concerned that I want to eat right now.

when i was 2 weeks post op on clear liquids...what saved me was egg drop soup..try it.... it was on my list and i still have it for lunch....i can finish way more now...when i started out it was less to fill me up...now i can drink a cup of it to a cup and a half... if thats on ur list ..try it...seems like ur getting some takey outey too lol gl!

Egg drop soup.. great one!

I forgot about that, lots of Protein, and its yummy and.. should count in the liquids, depending on which phase you're in. If you're in Clear Liquids, strain out the egg bits.

I would get a pint from my favorite Chinese place and it reheated well.

And my favorite clear liquid (and I drank during the normal liquid phase), was Campbell's chicken noodle soup.. strained.. I bought the to-go things that are like in a cup, heat it, then sip it through the other hole (not the one you're suppose to drink it through), it was a tiny hole and made it where I only got the liquid. Or you could strain it in a normal strainer.

Then you can add non-flavored Protein powder, but make sure you add it BEFORE you heat it up, otherwise it's clumpy and disgusting.

I have not tried it but i hear great things about the unjury powder . It is suppose to not have a taste to it so you can add it to just about anything .

you might want to try it ? Welcome to the Unjury Homepage

Again I have not tried it , I dont tolerate the powders well because of my Migraines. The only Protein type shake I can do is Bolthouse farms, But if your still on clear liquids those will be a no no for you too. Slim fasts always made me hungry . So i did Boost until i discovered Bolthouse Farms they have 20 grams of Protein per bottle . They keep me full for several hours. One small bottle though is 2 servings so keep that in mind if you try them when the time comes.

HTH

Mindy

Hi there . . . we also have a December 2007 group where you might get more answers from people who are at about the same time frame as you are . . . you're always welcome there.

Chris

I just got a call back from the PA. She was adamant that I only consume 2 oz., but then she said I could have some bit of a cracker with my Soup. Wouldn't any bit of a cracker take up a substantial portion of an oz. She also said the Protein drinks between the 3 meals, although she said those should be limited to 2 oz. Heck, for a 6'2" guy, 2 oz. is nothing. Believe me, I try to make each oz. last. Of course, she said I could have all the Water I want. She said that if I eat to much, the pouch will expand. I'm confused. How can some liquids, which I would think would go straight through if consumed slowly, cause the pouch to expand? How can there be a pouch? I mean, this is a lap band, not a bypass. No pouch was formed. My stomach was just belted. To me, I just have an upper and lower stomach. Maybe I'm being to semantical, but this phase just seems silly to me.

Also, how can anyone get 70 grams of Protein in 6 oz. I mean, an 8 oz. mix of one Protein Drink is like 20 grams. This doesn't make sense to me.

GNC Isopure Protein is 50 grams of Protein. You can mix it with 8oz or 12oz of Water. I mix it with 8oz of Soy milk and bit of ice in the blender. I have this in the morning and it fills me up! I am a big girl. :) No problems staying satisfied on that amount of protein.

The "pouch" they are referring to is the stoma that is formed over the band. You don't want your stoma to have to "churn" or work to digest any food. It needs to heal. That is why it is imperative you only drink liquids that can pass through the opening.

Well, apparently I can't have Slim-Fast. I just spoke to the dietitian and she said that I can only have 2 oz. every hour so the Slim-Fast could only be consumed over a 5 1/2 hour time period. Even though it is 15 grams of Protein, she said it is a poor way to get the 70 grams that I need every day.

She said I need to consume the high-protein powders with my meals. Boy that sucks!

I tried 8 oz. of Scitec Nutrition's Protein Delite just prior to my surgery and could hardly stomach it. I had a sick sweet coconut smell. I mixed with Water, but half-way through I had to mix some milk with it.

How can people do this??

This is just a thought, I wonder if your surgeon is a band surgeon, or a WLS? It sounds like you're on a RNY type post-op diet. I was, that's what my surgeon used for all WLS types, and I know that when I did the math and followed their guidelines, it was physically impossible to get in all the requirements. There were guidelines for how much Water to sip over what period, how to mix Protein shakes... and between the protein requirements, drinkingl imitations, etc. -- literally no way I could have followed what was in the instructions. So I called, and asked them some tough questions, and finally they told me I had been given a RNY diet, that I should follow as much of it as I could, but that really as long as I followed the food stages, everything else was subjective.

I tried a LOT of Protein Shakes, and I can tolerate more of them now, but in the beginning the only one I found that didn't make me gag just to smell it was a brand called "Six Star" - the only place I could find it was Wal-Mart. And I had to mix it with milk (I don't even drink milk, so this was a stretch for me). It has really good ratios, and is even pretty cheap to buy. That never happens! Like $15 for a cannister, compared to the $70 I was paying for gag-me-with-a-spoon Isopure. My favorite ways to make it (just to pass on some ideas) included the choco powder with a spoon of creamy Peanut Butter, the choco powder with some DaVinci sugar free Kahlua brand flavoring (I added ice to this and tried to tell myself it was a mudslide), or the vanilla powder with half milk, half low sugar OJ, and a packet of Splenda.

Just like a stormy week at sea won't kill the sea life, a low protein week or two won't kill us. What matters most of all right now is water. We can go a very long time without eating, but not so much for hydration. The agreement I finally reached with my surgeon was that I would drink water, and when I had room left over I would eat, as long as I agreed to take my vitamin/calcium no matter what. (I had this issue where I lost my appetite in the pre-op diet, and it never came back - still never really has - so I literally had to make myself eat). So I did, and it worked well.