Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lower BMI'ers--2008!!!

Hi all!

I'm new to this. I was banded in Aug 07. I weighed 121 kg (265 pounds) and I now weigh 105 kg (230 pounds). So, slowly but surely I'm getting there. I had problems with fills trying to get to my "

sweet spot" but I think I'm pretty good now. I've got 5.6 mls/cc in a 10 ml/cc band. I've just joined a gym the other day but have yet to get my butt there. I can pretty much eat what I want (except chicken and steak), but it's a lot smaller portion wise and I have to chew like crazy. My problem is with eating healthily. I still find myself eating crap. I crave junk food! Does anybody know of any lap band friendly recipe books? ?

Ash

weight.png

There are recipes on the food section of this board. There is also someone trying to gather recipes to make a cook book.

I am so very upset. Aetna has denied my request to have a Lap Band. I haven't received the letter saying why I have been denied. I called Aetna and they said it was not medically necessary for me to have the Band (my BMI is 37). I have a co-morbidity...sleep apnea. I have been over weight since my first daughter was born in 1991. I was looking forward to having my body back. My doctor is waiting for the letter to see if we can appeal. I have had all the test and waited a year and a half...for nothing??? Have any of you appealled and won?

I'm so sorry, lhallab. That really stinks. I can only empathize--I didn't go through insurance because my company didn't cover it so I was self-pay. It was a hard decision since we had to use our retirement but we figured if I didn't do something about my weight, I wouldn't live to enjoy the retirement anyway. Good luck--if you appeal (I have heard of some people winning appeals) and still don't get approval, you might consider doing what you have to to self-pay. I'm so sorry for your disappointment after all this time. Remember it's not all in vain--I'm sure you've learned a lot along the way and will appreciate your band that much more when you can get it. Best of luck!

I am so very upset. Aetna has denied my request to have a Lap Band. I haven't received the letter saying why I have been denied. I called Aetna and they said it was not medically necessary for me to have the Band (my BMI is 37). I have a co-morbidity...sleep apnea. I have been over weight since my first daughter was born in 1991. I was looking forward to having my body back. My doctor is waiting for the letter to see if we can appeal. I have had all the test and waited a year and a half...for nothing??? Have any of you appealled and won?

I too was denied by insurance and had made up my mind so I went self pay as well. You'll find if you want it bad enough no one will stand in your way...I would definitely appeal and if you can get your Dr. on your side that would help. Good luck!

Sorry I was a self pay too. My insurance booklet says right in it no weight loss surgeries of any kind are covered for any reason. I took out a 2nd mortgage on my house and I would do it again.

Thank you all for responding! If you had the procedure in Mexico, how did it go? My husband and family are freaked out about having this done there.

There is a thread ''how to choose a Mexican surgeon" I believe Alex moved it to the magazine section. I would read that before going to Mexico. There are good doctors there but there are some very bad ones too.

Hi Low BMI Bandsters!!!! This is soupgirl and I'm back...

SO much going on. Moved across country and getting married soon.

BabyGotBack...where are you?

My 'bandiversary' is May 29th and I've only lost 20lbs. Thought it would be more than that...so I was depressed for a while, but I got over that.

Anyone having pain at their port site? Hmmm...kinda nerve wracking!

Can wait to hear from some of you...

Sorry guys! I have been away for a while.

I am doing well. I have not had a fill in a long time since I pb, and get stuck for 2 weeks out of the month.. But, it is not enough to lose.

How are you all doing?

Hello, troops! Just checking in after quite the long absence.

I was banded (after a long ins fight) on March 17. Had to push myself up to BMI of 39 to get approved. BMI is coming back down now (I was getting panicky!), but I've still only lost 20 lb, most of it the first few wks of recovery. My fault, really, not the band - it's doing it's job, now I just have to move my "bahooky" (DD's word!) and the weight will come off.

I had dreams of being two sizes smaller by now, but I have to remind myself that it's not magic...still gotta work. The good (fantastic, actually) news is that although i've had a bunch of health challenges in the family the past few months, I have NOT GAINED any weight. Pre-band, I would've been up an extra 15 or so by now. So, although I'm not skinny yet, my band buddy is there for me. :tongue:

Hope you're all doing well - I like to hear where everyone is on their weight loss journey, as it helps me remember that when you start out w/a lower BMI, a 100 lb drop in two months is NOT realistic!! :)

Hi All,

Well, I am like 14 lbs from my goal. I can't believe it! I am just shy of 7 months post op. I remember going to an info seminar in Orange County and the doctor saying "if you have a lower BMI it will take you longer to lose the excess weight". I have proved him wrong. I am still at 2 fills and there is no chance I will be getting another one soon. I also PB 2 weeks out of the month. If anything I need a slight unfill. I have noticed that my hair is "shedding" a lot more now. I think this is normal but not too sure. I started taking a multi Vitamin to see if that helps. Anyway, enough of my drama. I feel pretty good and I am glad to almost be at goal! Hope everyone is doing well. Nicky

Hi All,

Well, I am like 14 lbs from my goal. I can't believe it! I am just shy of 7 months post op. I remember going to an info seminar in Orange County and the doctor saying "if you have a lower BMI it will take you longer to lose the excess weight". I have proved him wrong. I am still at 2 fills and there is no chance I will be getting another one soon. I also PB 2 weeks out of the month. If anything I need a slight unfill. I have noticed that my hair is "shedding" a lot more now. I think this is normal but not too sure. I started taking a multi Vitamin to see if that helps. Anyway, enough of my drama. I feel pretty good and I am glad to almost be at goal! Hope everyone is doing well. Nicky

Good for you Nicky! Don't you love to prove 'em wrong? tee hee

You're looking so great and I know you feel it too...i'm so happy for you.

I hover around 40 BMI but have recently developed high blood pressure and have to go for more blood work Monday. I think they are checking for diabetes. I have suffered from depression and arthritis for years. I am just now beginning to check in to lap band surgery. I have Cigna insurance and have heard they are hard to get approval from and hate to admit that developing the co-morbidities may actually be an asset (?!). I'm curious about the 6 month doctor supervised diet that most insurances require. If you are successful at losing weight during the 6 months and your BMI drops and co-morbidities lessen would you still be a candidate for lap band?