Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flipped port operation

Thanks for the info everybody! I am having surgery tomorrow for a flipped port and was real nervous about it until I read this thread. Hopefully I dont' have any more problems.

Hey Megster... how did the port revision surgery go?

I just found out today that mine has flipped AND my restriction is too much. Because of this, it looks like they might push me through within the next couple of days.

A little nervous about it. How would you compare it to the lapband surgery itself?

Thanks!

Hey!

I wasn't happy at all about having to have the port revision... but it was really simple. It's just like any other surgery as in no solid foods, you're knocked out...etc. However, as soon as I woke up I was fine and ready to go home. You're a little sore but I was back at work the next day... it's nothing like the first surgery. The only part I hated was I ended up paying five hundred dollars. My insurance covered most as the revision surgery was $3500.00 It's more of an annoyance than anything, because you feel like it's a setback. Usually the doctor will do a fill during the revision also. Hope this helps!!:lol:

My port had turned sideways and was embedded in scar tissue. He replaced the port and the tubing this past Tuesday and the pain from this surgery is 10 times worse than the original and I have a high pain tolerance. He moved it from my left side to the middle under my breasts about 4 inches. The port removal site and new port insertion site don't hurt at all. I have this terrific pain on my left front side probably where he tunnelled with and instrument. Feels like someone is stabbing me with a hot poker when I move. It hasn't gotten one bit better and it's been 2 days. I'm concerned that somethings not right. Will give it until Monday before I wig out. This may be a minor setback but it sure has me down.

Hi, Could someone please explain how you know if the port has flipped ?

I was banded 9th June 2008 and it has always been sore but lately it seems like a corner is poking through my skin.

Christine, my port flipped and I had revision surgery to correct it. Between the time I arrived at the hospital, had my surgery and went home, I don't think I was even there for two hours. It was a very simple procedure and I returned to work the next day. You may feel a bit of the "pull" that you felt when you had your intial surgery, but not nearly as bad. I felt 100% within a couple of days.

Katy, I had no idea mine had flipped until I went in for a fill and the doctor was unable to access my port. Nothing had felt any different to me. My best suggestion to you is that you make an appointment with your doctor to have it checked out.

Guest Leslie2Lose

My port flipped as well. I found out at my first fill. Like Susan, my recovery was much better and I was back at work the next business day. I had my revision surgery on a Friday. It delayed my fills a bit, so I had to deal with band-hell for a bit longer than most. I'm finally (four months out) close to my sweet spot. Good luck!

Hi Susan,

Thank you. I'll certainly do that. For my first fill, he seemed to push the port up and flat to do the injection. I told him that it was sore there and he said that it would get better. I hope so.

I had a revision on a flipped port, too. Went in for surgery under general anesthesia. Was in a little pain, stayed home for a week.

The fill before, I was in a lot of pain for several days and then went in 6 weeks later to get a fill. I had no idea that I had a flipped port until the doctor told me I did because he couldn't access the port to give me a fill.

Hi..

YOu have lots of replies but I thought I would tell you my port repositioning op experience.

Surgery 18th June

1 week post op: pain in port site.. extreme pain

2 weeks post op: hospitalised-infection around band site (haematoma)

3 weeks post op: port pain

4 weeks post op: unsuccessful fill.. port repositioning surgery.

So my doctor had me go back to the hospital that evening at 8.30 he had me dress in scrubs and wheeled me to surgery. he said he was going to try and fill using the fluro. He knew it had flipped as the operating room was buzzing with people already. He tried many times with local anesthesia and couldn't access it.. So at 9pm I had my entire port repositioning surgery under LOCAL anesthesia. They put up a curtain in front of my face so I couldn't see.. I felt some pulling and pressure but no pain. They kept giving me locals.. all in all it took an hour to reposition and finished by 10pm. I was home by 10.30 pm at school and teaching at 8am the next morning.

for me PIECE OF CAKE!!. I actually ENJOYED hearing what was going on. The nurses were telling me what was happening and holding my hand.. it was quite an experience actually!.

The only pain was similar to first surgery.. the being 'pulled' feeling. but that subsided after a few days..

hope this helps

what causes port flippage? I was banded last Thursday, and have been following my post op instructions to the letter, but I have a sharp pain on my left side anytime I use my stomach muscles to get up from laying down, or sneeze, or cough etc. I thought it was probably normal, but after reading these posts, I am wondering if it could be something more serious.

Thanks so much-

Targa

what causes port flippage? I was banded last Thursday, and have been following my post op instructions to the letter, but I have a sharp pain on my left side anytime I use my stomach muscles to get up from laying down, or sneeze, or cough etc. I thought it was probably normal, but after reading these posts, I am wondering if it could be something more serious.

Thanks so much-

Targa

Not to be alarmed, it is normal to feel what you are feeling.

Man...I went to the office today for my first fill I was sooo excited after about 20 sticks and 2 doctors I was told to go to the hospital for an x-ray because they are almost 100% sure my port flipped completey over..meaning I will need another surgery..great just what a full time student mother of 2 and wife needs. :thumbup: Oh well what can I do?