Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HUGE disappointment

I was banded 9/12/07. I have had 4 fills. Not sure of current fill volume but I think it's around 7. I continue to find ways to circumvent the band. When I eat and feel discomfort I just wait until it passes and continue eating. I am eating many of the things they said I wouldn't be able to eat (soft bread, tortillas, etc.). I initially lost about 14 lbs. It was easy at first because I was afraid of food. The more I discovered I could eat the harder & harder it was to eat healthy, small meals. I kept getting more fills but was still able to eat excessively. I have now gained back almost 7 lbs and I am extremely disappointed and feel misled. I was told the band was pretty much foolproof and that you have to lose wait because you can't eat much. NOT TRUE FOR ME. Is there something I need to do or am doing wrong. I'm going to my doctor but the earliest I could get in was the end of January. I am so scared that I am going to gain all my weight back & then some. I am an emotional eater.

ANY ADIVCE??:think

Well, I hate to say this, but you said it all in your post. "I continue to find ways to circumvent the band." If you want this to work, why are you looking for and finding ways around your band? Who told you that this was a foolproof method of loosing weight? When I did my research the first thing I discovered is that it wasn't a foolproof, no work, and no dedication method. I learned that you had to eat healthy, and be in constant consideration of the band ( for the most part) until you learned what foods you could tolerate and what foods you had to lay off of. I also learned that you had to exercise to achieve maximum benefits. Just because you can't eat much doesn't mean you will loose weight. If you can only eat 1/2 a cup of ice cream and you eat that at every meal are you expecting to loose weight? Keep in mind that the band doesn't restrict your "head hunger" or "emotional hunger." That is why many of us belong to this forum and other support groups, and some even see therapists to deal with their emotional issues related to eating. When you got your band did you see a nutritionist and psychologist, did you get a basic eating instruction manual? Most of us on here were required to see the nutritionist and psychologist before the surgery even took place. That was so we understood that this was not an end all quick fix. I was a self pay and went to mexico to get my band and I even had to see them before my doc would perform the surgery. I am not trying to badger you, I think maybe you were missinformed and are going thru bandster hell, which gets to all of us. My advice to you, would be to check out some local support groups maybe OA (overeaters annonymous) or maybe joining your local weight watchers ( that is why my psychologist suggested to me) for support. Also you might want to see a therapist to deal with the emotional side of things. I have heard on here that when people get stuck in this rut, they go back to basics. They start from the begining, liquid diet, then mushies, then start introducing solids again. It may help to put you back in the mindset. Also, I would try getting another fill. For some it is hard getting to that sweet spot of restriction and takes several fills to find it. Stay positive and know that you can do this and you can make the band work for you. Stop trying to find ways to cheat yourself of your goal. I hope you find something that helps you thru this. You are not alone in feeling this, I think every bandster goes thru this in the beginning. That is why we call it "Bandster Hell!" Good luck, and best wishes!

When I first got my band, I initially lost 20 lbs as well, but then it started slowing down. I too found ways to circumvent the band so to speak, mostly by drinking and forcing food through. I was getting frustrated as well (I never gained, but I lost REALLLLLY slowly) so I kept going back for more fills every month. I finally hit my sweet spot last month, and now the pounds are melting off. I can no longer force food through, and I can eat very little. My point is, hang in there, keep going for fills, and eventually you too will find your sweet spot. The band is almost foolproof, if you have enough fill in there, you WILL lose.

EDIT: Just noticed I'm using my wife's account who hasn't done it. I did the surgery about 9 months ago just as an FYI.

I was banded 9/12/07. I have had 4 fills. Not sure of current fill volume but I think it's around 7. I continue to find ways to circumvent the band. When I eat and feel discomfort I just wait until it passes and continue eating. I am eating many of the things they said I wouldn't be able to eat (soft bread, tortillas, etc.). I initially lost about 14 lbs. It was easy at first because I was afraid of food. The more I discovered I could eat the harder & harder it was to eat healthy, small meals. I kept getting more fills but was still able to eat excessively. I have now gained back almost 7 lbs and I am extremely disappointed and feel misled. I was told the band was pretty much foolproof and that you have to lose wait because you can't eat much. NOT TRUE FOR ME. Is there something I need to do or am doing wrong. I'm going to my doctor but the earliest I could get in was the end of January. I am so scared that I am going to gain all my weight back & then some. I am an emotional eater.

ANY ADIVCE??:think

My advice, read your post as if you were reading someone elses post.

Read it and give yourself your own advice. Your sabotaging yourself, im sorry but that is what your doing . When you go to your doc be honest with him, Dont say " well im eating this and that and I dont know why im not loosing" tell him exactly what you told us . You did not say anything about exerscing either. Are you doing any ? Walking even ?

If your an emotional eater and you know that maybe try some counseling , to help you figure out some other things to do besides eat when you eat during those emtional times.

Look , NOTHING is fool proof, you have to work it for it to work . If i sat her and said " I dont understand why im not loosing , im eating mashed potaotes and ice cream all day long and it goes down fine" Would you tell me " I think your doing fine " no , sorry if im being harsh but I think it does you more good to tell you the truth .

Tell your doc what you told us . And have him/her help you figure out what size fill you need, if you can revisit the nutritionists that is probably a good idea as well.

I have the LEAST amount of will power of anyone I know, seriously .

You can do this , IF I CAN Do this You can do this .

Keep it up , work the band and let it work for you , but the right way

HTH

Mindy

I have seena few people post here that said they were able to eat more than they expected. some needed more fills, others said the Dr took all the Fluid out of the band and re-inserted it.

Are you journaling your calories and Protein intake? Are you remembering NOT to drink right after eating. The best thing to do is go back to basic band rules, and write it all down, so you can show your DR.

Yes those are great ideas as well.

Also you said that you found yourself eating then waiting a while for it to go down and eating more ? Is that because you were not full ? Perhaps your not eating enough Protein ? Or your just not use to eating that small amount . I had a hard time wrapping my mind around " Ok this small amount of food is what I can eat" that took me a while to get use to .

Mindy

I don't know how many times I have heard that the band is a tool, it does not do all the work. Hence, I still have to make healthy choices. How did you miss hearing/reading that the band is just a tool? It's ALL OVER this board. My nutritionist, my social worker, my surgeon, and the surgeon's assistant (NP) ALL told me it was just a tool and would not do all the work for me.

So, yeah...I could sit down and drink 5,000 calories of milkshake per day. It all goes through the band, why not? That doesn't even make sense that you would continue to lose weight eating whatever you want. Now, it would be much different if you were eating your Protein FIRST, then your VEGGIES, and if any room left, THEN whole grains or fruits. But choosing foods that will halt weight loss...I'm sorry, but you're not going to lose weight.

I'm not being condescending...I just don't understand how somebody can get SO FAR on this journey and still not understand how the tool works. I would strongly recommend you get in touch with a nutritionist. Whether that be the one through your Dr's office, or just one that specializes in Bariatric Eating, it would be a very good idea. Did your Dr give you a list of things to eat once you get to solids? I would try following that. Just remember:

1. Protein

2. veggies

3. whole grains or fruits

In that order. :scared:

I feel very much like the author of the post. I am doing this all on my own. The band, after 6 fills provides no restriction. What was the point of it all, when I again am doing this alone? To have a surgery and pay someone's salary? The lapband is a huge dissapointment and I totally regret it.

I feel very much like the author of the post. I am doing this all on my own. The band, after 6 fills provides no restriction. What was the point of it all, when I again am doing this alone? To have a surgery and pay someone's salary? The lapband is a huge dissapointment and I totally regret it.

The more conservative the fills, the more fills it will take to achieve satisfactory restriction. Be patient - you will get there. But in the meantime, you have to remember not to put all of your eggs in one basket. It's not JUST about the level of restriction (that's the TOOL part) It's only one component.... It's also about exercise, food choices, hydration, sleep... it's a package deal. In fact, all of the these other factors combine to be much more important than your fill level.

Losing fat - with or without the band - with or without good restriction - is HARD WORK! It isn't just about how little you can eat... Don't think you can subvert the process by eating 800 calories a day and being sedentary. That is a recipe for disaster in the long term.

Work hard, train hard, and you shall conquer...

Brad

It isn't going to work until you get restriction. ALL of us had surgery because we can't do it alone.

What if you get your next fill under fluoro so you can get restriction on the next fill? Six fills... that's ridiculous! Understand, I am not blaming you but I am blaming your fill person.

I hate these huge mega bands, it takes too long to get restriction and people become disappointed and give up. Don't be one of those people, be firm with your fill person and tell them this is without excuse, take control here and tell them you/your insurance company is not going to continue playing this game. Be firm, get it done.

Everyone on this post has good advice. I have one other suggestion. Take a picture of yourself and put it on the fridge, the pantry and anywhere you have food. You got the band because you don't want to look like that anymore. Pull up your bootstraps and get over it! YOU are the only person that can make it happen. No piece of plastic and no one else can make it happen. The band is only as good as YOU make it. Stop eating. Go to support groups and get some help with your habits. That is the only way you will break them!

I continue to find ways to circumvent the band.

You told how you failed yourself in your 4th line. AS you should already know, the band being nothing more than that, can't change your mind and your eating habits. YOU have to do that. Sounds like you need some serious help changing your mindset/habits. Good luck. You will be in my prayers.

Jimsgirl..... it sounds like you don't have good restriction yet. The number of fills differs from person to person. My husband is there, I'm not! We both have the same size bands, 14cc, WE both have 7cc's in them. I'm different from him, just the way you are different from me.

I also feel exactly the same way that the person the posted the original message feels. I'm finding ways to eat more than I should. I also eat until it gets stuck and then once that feeling passes, I eat again. I know that I'm sabotaging myself, yet I don't know why I do. That is where my problem lies. I was seeing a counselor because I am addicted to food. Plus, I am an emotional eater. After a few months of seeing my counselor she told me that she thought I was strong enough to do it on my own. I don't think I am. I will probably call her to go and see her again.

I appreciate all of the posts that everyone added. It has made me realize that me and only me can change my weight, and the lap-band alone isn't going to do it. I know deep down that I've always known that. I just don't understand why I choose to ignore it. You all have opened up my eyes to what I need to do. I've been sitting here reading all of the post and crying because everything you have said is 100% true. I guess I'm just really sad at myself because I've done this to myself. No one else is to blame for my weight gain and lack of weight loss. Just me! That's why I'm sad.

Another reason I'm having a hard time with my band is because I have to pay for all of my fills out of pocket, and I just can't afford to do that right now. I've only had one fill since my surgery (oct. 30, 2008). My husband and I are struggling with money and so it's very difficult to get filled. I know that I need to do more on my own to help lose the weight, but having a fill would definitely help.

Thanks again for all of the wonderful posts and I'm glad that I read all of them. It was like you all were talking to me, not just to the other person. Thanks again. I hope I can do better from here on out. Wish me luck! :redface:

Well I've also had 6 fills which puts me to total 7.4 cc. I still don't have good restriction as well. On the other side, even though I could still eat a lot each meal (2 cups of food), it is still half of size of what I used to eat before the surgery. I am not giving up. I do get frustrated from time to time for lacking of good restriction, feeling hungry and a slow paced weight loss progress. We just have hang in there until we finally reach the sweet spot.

Edited by EmmaWang

stop using money as an excuse - if you get a fill you will save so much more money on food!!! stop making excuses.