Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Got my surgery date....Jan. 10!!!!! Question about surgery day logistics...

:whoo:I am soooo excited!!!! My surgeon's office called today, and told me I could get my Lap-Band on 1/10, or the first week in Feb. Duh! I'll take Jan. 10th!!!! Two weeks from today:clap2:!!! Only negative is my hubby can't take of of work with such short notice (he is a physician, he would have to cancel his scheduled patients), so my Dad or my step mom will have to take me to the hospital on my surgery day. DH can bring me home the next day (my surgeon requires an overnight hospital stay). How long should I tell my Dad to expect to stay with me in the hospital on the 10th? Will I want him there all day, or will I be tired from the surgery, and just want to rest? Do you want visitors that evening? What time did you get discharged the next day?

Thanks!

I can only tell you my experiences. I was scheduled for surgery around 8:00 and had to be at the surgery center at 6:00. I stayed with my family in a pre-op room until they wheeled me out about 7:30. They prepped me for surgery and the doctor came in around 7:40 and said 'let's begin'. I woke up in recovery around 9:45 and got to my room an hour later. My husband and grown children were there. I got out of bed about 20 minutes later to go to the bathroom (nurse in tow of course). I really had very little pain and only used the pain pump around 3 hours. After that I was on my own and never took anything until after I got home and then it was liquid tylenol. Around 2:30 I told everyone to go home. I wanted to rest and couldn't with them there. My daughter was the last to leave around 4:00 and I watched tv the rest of the day. I really couldn't sleep. Comfortable but just not sleepy. My son came back around 8:00 and stayed until 9:30. I got ready for bed and went to sleep around 10:30. I pretty much slept through the night as best I could laying on my back. I started drinking immediately after surgery and continued sipping all the time for about the first 3 days. I never had any problems and started milk mixed with Protein when I got home every three hours with Clear Liquids in between. I was released from the hospital around 10:00 the next morning. I was so tired though that I asked if I could take a nap first. I went down hard for a little over an hour and got up and dressed myself and out we went. I had no trouble even putting on my socks. My daughter took an hour nap with me also before driving me home. She came for me because my husband's driving can make me carsick sometimes. He did that when he drove me home from my gallbladder surgery. I not only had the lapband but had a sizeable hiatal hernia repaired at the same time. This is probably more than you wanted to know but I hope it answered some of your questions.

Congratulations! I had my family with me until they were kicked out. :) My surgery was at 12:30; in recovery about 3PM. My wife stayed in my room with me until about 8pm. I had a couple visitors, but for the most part the dilaudid pretty well kept me loopy and not very social. :eek:

I was home the next day about 3:30. I would say having family around at home was more important than in the hospital, but it was nice to have some visitors.

Good luck! I was pretty good about following the pre-op instructions, and I highly encourage the same. I think it has made my recovery that much easier.

well it all depends on you. Do you feel like you would be scared and having a friend/ family member would help you? I would suggest having the person stay with you until you go into surgery but afterwards is really a toss up. I was soo out of it with pain meds that it would not have made a differance. I literally could not keep my eyes open for more than 30 seconds at a time that first day. The next day I was back to normal. Some people when they come out of anesthesia are very emotional and having someone there might help, others are wide awake and might like company. It is all so individual. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks everyone!

Congratulations!!! I was completely out of it, so I really didn't care one way or another if I had company or not!!

Again, congrats!!!

Brandy

My family wanted to be there but I insisted on not making a huge fuss about it. My mom, grandma and best friend kept me in good spirits. I am glad that they were there to keep me awake after I got into my recovery room because it allowed me to walk, pee, and drink faster than I would've if I was nodding out. I also went home the same day. I was a little loopy and they were able to remember things the nurse had told me to do over the next few days. I would suggest you having maybe a close friend or family member there with you but it's really up to you. Again, I was outpatient and it took about 6 hours from "hi" to "bye". I'm glad I had someone with me the whole time in recovery.

My hubby came down and sat with me for half the day but I really didn't know or care if he was there or not. I stayed in overnight (my surgeon required it too) and was ready to go home early next morning. It was a lot more painful than I thought it would be - I've had lapband surgery before but it was very different to this. I was pretty uncomfortable for the best part of a week but after that it's been great. Good luck

Lesley

My mom came with me. To be honest... I could have took myself. It was such a long day of waiting due to surgeon falling a bit behind. I felt kind of bad that she just sat around for hours!!! Didn't have surgery till 1:30 in the afternoon.

You only really feel yucky for an hour or two after recovery... then I am sure you'd be up to visitors. I did just want to rest. I kept the tv off most of the time. But I was up all night with nerves the night before!!!!

My hubby came down and sat with me for half the day but I really didn't know or care if he was there or not. I stayed in overnight (my surgeon required it too) and was ready to go home early next morning. It was a lot more painful than I thought it would be - I've had lapband surgery before but it was very different to this. I was pretty uncomfortable for the best part of a week but after that it's been great. Good luck

Sorry....I meany I had had keyhole surgery before...of course I've not had lapband surgery before@!!!!!

My wife and I both had to stay overnight. We both stayed with each other until the other was out and in the room and settled in. For my wife it was about 7:30 when they got here to the room We were there from 12:00. We were not able to go in for the pre-op because the area was to small. I saw it the following week when I had surgery. We came back the next moring and left later in the day for each other.

I hope that this helps you out.

Chris

I was scheduled at 7am. Had to be at hospital at 5am. My sister went with me. We went to admitting and were directed to 10th floor for prep. I went down to surgery waiting about 6:30am. Anesthesia, surgeon, Circulating nurse all greeted me. I remember going to the OR and getting sleepy medicine. Then it was 9:20am and the nurse told me it was over and to wake up. I stayed about an hour before being transferred to a room. I slept off and on until about 12:30 - 1pm. Then I got up to bathroom, took a walk in the hall. I had a hernia that had to be repaired before they could band me. The surgery should have been 45 min to 1 hour for banding. I was up when the surgeon came in and he let me go home that night. I had pain for a week after surgery and still have problems with the hernia site. The prescription liquid pain medicine made me nauseous so I could only take tylenol liquid. It was okay.

My first check up was 10 days after surgery because I didn't want to wait till after the holidays. He told me to try soft foods like Soup, mac n cheese, flaky fish. I had a lot of trouble with solid foods except sweet stuff. :eek:I was bad during Christmas, but resolved to stick to mostly liquids to help in weight loss. I went about 3 weeks and didn't loose. In face I gained unless I stuck to less than 1000 cal / day.

I am resolved now to loose the weight. I don't want to have gone through this to fail. I'll do whatever it takes.

I see the surgeon Tomorrow.

Angie