Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night Snacking

Outside of the normal holiday non-diets, like everyone else, I have also been struggling with night snacking. I have still been eating the goodies during the day, not as much thankfully, but at night is when it has been getting to me. For some reason I just cant kick this one. I will snack on things sometimes until 11 at night. I know this is wrong, but I still continue to do it. I need some suggestions. We are starting back to the gym today after a very busy holiday season so I know that will help some, but I just need to get this one under control. When I came into work this morning i immediately moved all the snack things away from the desks. Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, any suggestions?

I have snack issues myself. Unfortunately what helped me is likely not to help you at all--my reflux returned! I have to stop eating after dinner, or I will reflux through the night.

I used to go in and brush and seriously floss my teeth so I would be discouraged from eating anything, and it helped some.

Do you crochet or knit, or something you do with your hands that makes eating and doing it impossible? I make handstitched christmas stockings, and noticed during the eveneing when I was working away at them, I did not have anything to snack on--I was not free handed, and did not want to chance getting them dirty. So--maybe a new hobby?

Good Luck, I sympathize, as well as empathize!

Kat

Thanks Kat, unfortunately I dont knit or crochet. I do like to read, but I have found that I want to snack when I do that. Just another vicious cycle. I did change my ticker today. Thought it was time. Since I had my band replaced in october, I have only lost 12lbs. What a reality check. I am so discouraged right now.

For Christmas I got a pair of gloves from Bath & Body works, they are lined with some sort of softener---you use your lotion, and put the gloves on, they did wonders for my cuticles!!! I tried them for just a short while last night--but I was able to read with them, but would not want to mess them up with food!

Maybe pamper your hands!!!

Have you been seeing your Dr. regularly since the band replacement, for fills? Sometimes it takes awhile to get to the spot where it works its best. I thought I might make it through the last of this weight without another fill---but I was able to eat a cinnamon roll yesterday for breakfast---so I am thinking I might need that fill!!!

Good Luck to you---

Kat

Kat

What Kat817 suggested was a really great idea. Try and keep busy. You could also brush your teeth or chew a super minty gum which makes anything you put in your mouth taste really gross. If you HAVE to eat something there is fat free Jello that is only 5 or 10 calories or cucumbers and things like that that aren't bad for you. I know it is hard at night because that is the hardest time of the day for me as well!

Great suggestions, i did get a bath and body works gift card for christmas, so i am gonna get some of those gloves. and i just need to restock my frige with good stuff instead of junk. i also have a 10cc band and right now im at about 6. my next appt is next friday and i was gonna get another fill, but im not sure if i will. right now im trying to get over a cold and have been coughing. im afraid if i get another fill when im still coughing like this, i will end up slipping my band again and lord knows i dont want to go thru that again. thanks guys for your suggestions. keep them coming, im up for change.

The evening hours are the hardest for me. I can go all day without eating at all and it does not bother me, but in the evening I always think I need something. A lot of times I get up and go to the gym to keep from snacking. Sometimes i give in and snack, I do try to have healthy Snacks. Donna

I'm not a night snacker. I'm a night BINGEr!!! Once the kids are off to bed it's like the kitchen just calls to me. The only thing I have found to combat it is going to bed! As soon as the cravings hit I have a glass of ice Water, get myself ready for bed and go to bed. I have trouble falling to sleep so sometimes I use that time to meditate and do relaxation techniques to keep my mind off food.

Often, I think the hunger just hits because it has usually been hours since dinner by that time and my mind and body is just expecting food must be coming soon.

The only other tip I have is that sometimes I make a deal with myself that if I wait until the morning, I can have whatever it is that I was craving and I'll be able to start fresh with another days worth of calories. Usually by morning I'll have forgotten about it or only want a little of it anyway.

Good luck!

I have learned the Oprah trick of not eating after a set time. I have a time of 7 or 8, and that is it. Also, I do not have acid reflux thankfully, but I want an empty pouch by the time I go to bed. Sometimes I 'flush' it by drinking hot Water.

Good luck, it is just a matter of changing your habits and this is a healthy one.

I haven't embraced the feeling of emptiness though, I know that that knawing feeling is our body actually losing weight.

I love to snack. All day long.

That has always been my problem. The key is removing the items that you are weak for.

During Christmas there were all these CC Cookies around.... I couldn't resist and everytime I was alone with those 6 dozen Cookies I grabbed a couple.

<shame> eating in secret again!!

Night time is tough for me too.

Last night I ate an entire grapefruit, a bag of microwave popcorn with Ranch popcorn topping and a can of Amy's chili.

That was dinner/snack and I was up till 4am.

Whenever I start to feel hungry, I grab popcorn.

I have had 1 fill so far, so I am not at my sweet spot, yet.

This morning, after I had 2 pieces of turkey bacon and two eggs, I was still hungry so I ate a bag of popcorn.

It is not the best idea in the world but its the low cal food that fills me up.

Hang in there,

Rose

Outside of the normal holiday non-diets, like everyone else, I have also been struggling with night snacking. I have still been eating the goodies during the day, not as much thankfully, but at night is when it has been getting to me. For some reason I just cant kick this one. I will snack on things sometimes until 11 at night. I know this is wrong, but I still continue to do it. I need some suggestions. We are starting back to the gym today after a very busy holiday season so I know that will help some, but I just need to get this one under control. When I came into work this morning i immediately moved all the snack things away from the desks. Has anyone else run into this problem, and if so, any suggestions?

This is a big problem for me. I am a night owl, I can not go to bed early. I probably need to get something from the doctor to help me go to sleep.

This was my biggest problem before getting banded. I snacked all night long. Now, when I feel the need to snack at night, I make a cup of chai tea with splenda (no calories), or a cup of diet hot chocolate (only 25 calories). That seems to calm my cravings.

Good luck to you and hope things get better soon.

I am doing the same thing at the moment... it's very hard with no restriction. Luckily I have maintained my weight during the xmas break but I could have lost more if not for the snacking. I am on steroids for a severe allergy attack and they are making me hungry... can't wait to get off them. I will be back to work on Wednesday so that should help as well... idle time and idle hands make for a full belly! :hungry::hungry::eek:

I was also going to suggest a hobby to keep your hands busy. (knitting, x-stitch, etc)

This is a problem for me too because I usually stay up well past midnight. What time do you eat dinner? I started eating dinner a little later. I know they say it's bad to eat late but eating dinner at 7-7:30 seems to keep me away from looking for Snacks at night.