Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I’m just beginning my second week of my pre op learning and it’s been a fun, interesting week (for me anyway!) I started eating a little better, getting more Protein in to my daily diet and logging everything. Good news is that I’m 9lbs down in the first week so I will take that win thank you very much. I’ve also been practicing mindful eating too. My approach to eating was to hoover food up as quickly as possible but, after reading about WLS and what I need to concentrate on post-surgery, I have made sure that every meal has taken 20 mins to eat, that I eat off a plate, put my cutlery down between bites, don’t put more food in my mouth when I already have some food in there etc. Being a sceptical kind of person, I wasn’t really sold on the benefits of this but I gave it a whirl, just to see. I will definitely hold my hand up and admit that my scepticism was misplaced. My head and stomach now recognise that I have actually eaten something and it’s registered with them. I now have a feeling of fullness that I didn’t have before, which really is an eye opener. I know it probably sounds strange but I honestly cannot remember having this? Disordered eating has been such a part of my life for a very long time.

I’ve also been giving different sources of protein a try, not for post-op as I’ve really taken on board people’s findings of tastes etc changing after surgery, but for the liver reduction diet and to give myself some variety now as I move towards that. I have tried protein Water (a bit sweet but doable) protein yoghurts and protein puddings. Hubby recommended some PHD whey protein but I haven’t tried that yet. The bag isn’t yet open and all I can smell is overpowering vanilla 🤢 I will try it at some point this week, just to see if it tastes better than it smells! I’ve also ordered some 0%-everything flavour drops to try in Greek yoghurt etc, just waiting for those to arrive.

My Bariatric plates arrived this week, plus measuring cups and spoons. I’ve been consistently taking my Multivitamin, Vitamin D and folic acid (because of pre-existing meds) have taken the dreaded ‘before’ photos (and managed not to cry) and generally had a positive week. I know my surgery may be a long way off but things are moving in the right direction and I’m happy about that.

Onwards and downwards!

Off to a great start!

Just as a side note for Protein Water - I use MyProtein which is a UK based store (and they always seem to have sales on!), and their clear whey protein isolate is lovely. So many different flavours - I have peach tea and also the watermelon one, and it is really nice!

29 minutes ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

Just as a side note for Protein Water - I use MyProtein which is a UK based store (and they always seem to have sales on!), and their clear whey Protein isolate is lovely. So many different flavours - I have peach tea and also the watermelon one, and it is really nice!

I’ve used MyProtein for the flavour drops and some Protein Bars I’m waiting on for delivery (also good when you find some discount codes 😉) Not a fan of peach but I love watermelon so will have a look at that. Do you have any suggestions for unflavoured Protein Powder? I want something I can put in such as scrambled eggs, Soups etc but I’m struggling to find anything!

4 minutes ago, MrsFitz said:

I’ve used MyProtein for the flavour drops and some Protein Bars I’m waiting on for delivery (also good when you find some discount codes 😉) Not a fan of peach but I love watermelon so will have a look at that. Do you have any suggestions for unflavoured Protein Powder? I want something I can put in such as scrambled eggs, Soups etc but I’m struggling to find anything!

I love a good discount code 😂I swear I have stocked up on so many of their Protein Snacks which I am excited to try - also I went to Icelands and they have done a crossover with MyProtein and they have loads of food in there! The chocolate ice cream is AMAZING, and if you are having a bypass and need to stay under 7g of sugar per 100ml/g then it is perfect!

Honestly I am SO struggling to find unflavoured Protein Powder - I think I am a bit like you in the sense when I smell something and it makes me gag, I really cannot drink it, and I have yet to find something that suits me :(

14 minutes ago, Bypass2Freedom said:

I love a good discount code 😂I swear I have stocked up on so many of their Protein Snacks which I am excited to try - also I went to Icelands and they have done a crossover with MyProtein and they have loads of food in there! The chocolate ice cream is AMAZING, and if you are having a bypass and need to stay under 7g of sugar per 100ml/g then it is perfect!

Honestly I am SO struggling to find unflavoured Protein Powder - I think I am a bit like you in the sense when I smell something and it makes me gag, I really cannot drink it, and I have yet to find something that suits me :(

I bought a couple of things from Iceland when I tried the Ill-fated but hospital mandated SW diet…what an absolute waste of time. Anyway, I have a bag of the MyProtein chicken satay skewers in the freezer which I need to try. Currently having some I found at costco which are really nice but will get around to the others when the Costco ones run out. I will have to look at the ice cream though, just for those times you want *something* 😊

Posted (edited)

I have an unflavoured Protein powder that I put into Soups etc. but not sure what countries it can be purchased/delivered in - https://www.barinutrics.eu/fr/produits/barinutricsr-whey

It doesn't have a smell (just double checked) and once it is blended/mixed in I have had no issues but it can clump a bit.

Edited by FifiLux

Thanks @FifiLux for that information. 🙂 I’ve just checked and it seems to be Italy, France and the Netherlands, no UK ☹️ However I have found something on MyProtein which may interest you too @Bypass2Freedom https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/total-protein-blend/10529951.html which I will try when I have some spare cash. I just wish that they offered sample bags across their whole range so you don’t waste money on a big bag if it’s something you cannot stomach. Also found https://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/clear-whey-hydrate/12869895.html?variation=12869898 which they do in Lemon & Lime which I wouldn’t mind trying too.

I have the lemon and lime and it is fine for what it is.

I tried the pre-mixed/made (found it weird that it was pea Protein based) one first and once I could stomach it I then ordered the clear whey powder. I must get back to using it again, I have the little Robinsons no added sugar lemon pots that I carry with me everywhere that way it makes me drink Water.

I also use the MyProtein pancake mix, maple Syrup flavour, as I find a couple of small ones with a bit of fruit is a nice sweet treat every now and then, though I use half their measurement advice as I can only eat two small pancakes.

I then also use their crunchy Peanut Butter in some of my foods - satay chicken, homemade Protein Bars etc.

In my next order I am going to get the peanut butter powder as I think it might be easier to incorporate.

1 minute ago, FifiLux said:

I have the lemon and lime and it is fine for what it is.

I tried the pre-mixed/made (found it weird that it was pea Protein based) one first and once I could stomach it I then ordered the clear whey powder. I must get back to using it again, I have the little Robinsons no added sugar lemon pots that I carry with me everywhere that way it makes me drink Water.

I also use the MyProtein pancake mix, maple Syrup flavour, as I find a couple of small ones with a bit of fruit is a nice sweet treat every now and then, though I use half their measurement advice as I can only eat two small pancakes.

I then also use their crunchy Peanut Butter in some of my foods - satay chicken, homemade Protein Bars etc.

In my next order I am going to get the Peanut Butter powder as I think it might be easier to incorporate.

Several years ago I had a run on the cake in a mug mix from MyProtein and OMG, it was so so nice! Me and hubby went silly on it and had to stop buying it in the end 😬 I’ve had a pancake mix before but can’t remember where I got it from, possibly Exante?? I think that’s part of MyProtein now anyway.

I was thinking Lemon & Lime as I want something a bit tangy? I drink lime cordial at home so something similar would be good

8 hours ago, MrsFitz said:

Disordered eating has been such a part of my life for a very long time.

[...]
I have tried Protein Water (a bit sweet but doable) protein yoghurts and protein puddings. Hubby recommended some PHD whey protein but I haven’t tried that yet. The bag isn’t yet open and all I can smell is overpowering vanilla

I'm sure that 99% of us here feel you on the disordered eating. ❤️

RE: protein water: I find most protein water/powders excessively sweet. If you hunt around, you may find one that's sweetened with a sweetener that seems less powerful to your taste buds -- but I myself have had very little luck. Instead, I Water it down further and add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to help cut through it a bit. It might take you longer to drink 1 serving -- but the protein absorbs the same.

Same with the Protein Powder / shakes -- water it down with more milk if you need to, or add other flavours. I've had great luck adding instant Decaf coffee to vanilla, and unsweetened Peanut Butter powder to chocolate (PB&Me No Sugar Added is a great friend! A little tougher to stir manually, but perfect in a blender or with a frother). Depending on where you live, there may be milk brands that have added protein already, which is a bonus,

For cooking, I've yet to find an unflavoured protein powder that is tasteless and doesn't clump up, etc. If you're not vegan/vegetarian, Bone Broth powder is a great protein additive with minimal flavour -- just make sure you check the sodium, cause some brands are nice and low and others are crazy. It usually comes in both a chicken and beef broth variety. Usually the flavour is mild enough to be complementary to savory dishes.

It sounds like you're well ahead of the game, doing all this work pre-OP, so I'm sure you'll do great! You sound very organized & mentally prepared.

2 minutes ago, JennyBeez said:

I'm sure that 99% of us here feel you on the disordered eating. ❤️

RE: Protein water: I find most protein water/powders excessively sweet. If you hunt around, you may find one that's sweetened with a sweetener that seems less powerful to your taste buds -- but I myself have had very little luck. Instead, I Water it down further and add a squeeze of lemon or lime juice to help cut through it a bit. It might take you longer to drink 1 serving -- but the protein absorbs the same.

Same with the Protein Powder / shakes -- Water it down with more milk if you need to, or add other flavours. I've had great luck adding instant Decaf coffee to vanilla, and unsweetened Peanut Butter powder to chocolate (PB&Me No Sugar Added is a great friend! A little tougher to stir manually, but perfect in a blender or with a frother). Depending on where you live, there may be milk brands that have added protein already, which is a bonus,

For cooking, I've yet to find an unflavoured Protein Powder that is tasteless and doesn't clump up, etc. If you're not vegan/vegetarian, Bone Broth powder is a great protein additive with minimal flavour -- just make sure you check the sodium, cause some brands are nice and low and others are crazy. It usually comes in both a chicken and beef broth variety. Usually the flavour is mild enough to be complementary to savory dishes.

It sounds like you're well ahead of the game, doing all this work pre-OP, so I'm sure you'll do great! You sound very organized & mentally prepared.

Thank you so much for your tips @JennyBeez👍 I did wonder if things could be diluted but wasn’t sure if it would alter the composition of it or not? Will definitely try adding a dash of lemon or lime juice though, that sounds great. Hubby has the job of mixing powders as he has used them previously so has ‘the knack’! I lack patience at times and would just drink it, lumps included…

I’ve found some frozen beef Bone Broth discs at M&S which sounded ideal as you can just use one disc at a time. I haven’t bought any yet as I’d thought I’d leave it until I tried making some Soups in the colder weather…actually that could really be now as it’s stupidly cold in the north of England 🥶

I’m trying to get organised as I can get overwhelmed with things sometimes (many thanks menopause anxiety 😡) so trying to avoid that if I can. I’m also trying to work on the mental gymnastics that my mind can go through when it comes to weight, diet, food blah, blah, blah. I want to eventually draw a line and just have a somewhat reasonable relationship with myself, before it gets too late!