Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

February 2024 Surgery Buddies?

17 minutes ago, BlueParis said:

@Briss72 I don't have pain after one bite but when I eat too fast I deffo feel very very uncomfortable for the next 30-
45 minutes. I can't wait to start swimming again, the pool next to me is closed for maintenenace which is boring!

I feel your pain about the pool our local was close for two long years as it was rebuilt - where I live the gym I’m a part of is part of the council group ‘city of greater Geelong’ so membership is for all centres - they are all within 25 to 30 mins away and I do classes as two of the other centres regularly (splashdown and leisurelink) but nothing quiet like having one 5 mins from home 😀 as a bonus the newly opened centre which opened 2 days before I had surgery has a warm Water pool (25mt) which is only for 16 years and over and separate area from the main pool.

I told my surgeon at the 2 week mark I had returned to aqua classes…. He was pleased fortunately but told me to take it easy lol just waiting for full clearance for Body Pump class haha

7 hours ago, BlueParis said:

Hi @Briss72 I had mine on the 16th! How are you getting along ?

Most days are ok providing I’m willing to prepare with Protein ‘enriched’ products before going to work - I hate having to force in 20gm s of protein before bed.. I’m on soft food stage but I don’t think I’m doing this as well as I can still relying on protein powders and pre packaged drinks instead of sourcing it from food so I guess I’m still on that steep learning curve haha.

basically currently I’m a non cook ( a great pre-heater though) but bestie made me all these nutritious home made Soups that got me through up until now - I’ve still some in the freezer but I just can’t look at them the same at the moment ( kind of like Optifast…. I’ve reached THAT point.

im reading this really cool book which I got from eBay called Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success which is where I found out about this forum ( lists website address in book) by Dr Duc c Vuong which has all these activities to do - so now I’ve got to decided if I can learn to cook 👩‍🍳 haha that’s why I married my husband lol

2 hours ago, Briss72 said:

Most days are ok providing I’m willing to prepare with Protein ‘enriched’ products before going to work - I hate having to force in 20gm s of Protein before bed.. I’m on soft food stage but I don’t think I’m doing this as well as I can still relying on protein powders and pre packaged drinks instead of sourcing it from food so I guess I’m still on that steep learning curve haha.

basically currently I’m a non cook ( a great pre-heater though) but bestie made me all these nutritious home made Soups that got me through up until now - I’ve still some in the freezer but I just can’t look at them the same at the moment ( kind of like Optifast…. I’ve reached THAT point.

im reading this really cool book which I got from eBay called Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success which is where I found out about this forum ( lists website address in book) by Dr Duc c Vuong which has all these activities to do - so now I’ve got to decided if I can learn to cook 👩‍🍳 haha that’s why I married my husband lol

That book is on Audible, and I just downloaded it! Thank you for mentioning it.

My son’s wedding was today and I managed to eat with everyone without getting sick. I’ve struggled with not taking one more bite when I feel a bit full. I think maybe I’m learning finally. I’ve had to set a timer after eating to not take a drink too soon. I never realized what a set habit it is to drink while eating. I am able to eat solids now as long as I take small bites and chew a lot. I don’t know that my stall has broken yet. I went down almost two lbs but nothing else yet. Trying to not get discouraged over that. I didn’t measure before hand so I can’t say if I’m losing inches at least. I was just too discouraged at my weight before surgery to measure anything. I will say even with the little bit of progress I’ve made since surgery I was comfortable in my dress at my son’s wedding. I’m sure when I see pictures from it I will be my worst critic but for tonight I feel pretty so I’ll take it.

4 minutes ago, Noelle74 said:

My son’s wedding was today and I managed to eat with everyone without getting sick. I’ve struggled with not taking one more bite when I feel a bit full. I think maybe I’m learning finally. I’ve had to set a timer after eating to not take a drink too soon. I never realized what a set habit it is to drink while eating. I am able to eat solids now as long as I take small bites and chew a lot. I don’t know that my stall has broken yet. I went down almost two lbs but nothing else yet. Trying to not get discouraged over that. I didn’t measure before hand so I can’t say if I’m losing inches at least. I was just too discouraged at my weight before surgery to measure anything. I will say even with the little bit of progress I’ve made since surgery I was comfortable in my dress at my son’s wedding. I’m sure when I see pictures from it I will be my worst critic but for tonight I feel pretty so I’ll take it.

I've been able to eat ground meat (ground chicken, turkey & some Bison) fairly easy. Three ounces of meat with a few bites of veggies and I start feeling full. I take 20-30 minutes to eat with a lot of chewing. I've been sick a hand full of times since I've started soft foods. Mostly from eating too fast or taking one bite to much. Good to hear that you were able to eat without getting sick.

5 minutes ago, RonHall908 said:

I've been able to eat ground meat (ground chicken, turkey & some Bison) fairly easy. Three ounces of meat with a few bites of veggies and I start feeling full. I take 20-30 minutes to eat with a lot of chewing. I've been sick a hand full of times since I've started soft foods. Mostly from eating too fast or taking one bite to much. Good to hear that you were able to eat without getting sick.

That’s usually what happens to me too. One bite too many or one bite swallowed before I chew good enough. I have been ok with ground beef for the most part. Steak and chicken are usually ok if they are tender and I cut it into really small pieces. If I do end up sick I go back to Soups for a meal or two.

6 minutes ago, Noelle74 said:

That’s usually what happens to me too. One bite too many or one bite swallowed before I chew good enough. I have been ok with ground beef for the most part. Steak and chicken are usually ok if they are tender and I cut it into really small pieces. If I do end up sick I go back to Soups for a meal or two.

I've been trying to eat food to get my Protein in without relying on Protein Shakes. I don't mind them, but food is more filling. I haven't tried steak yet. I've grilled chicken breast and tried it in the Instapot and I can get about half of it down. It fills me up fast, mainly the reason I've been sticking with the grounds meats.

I don't eat meat or chicken, but I do eat fish. Tonight I had 2 ounces of swordfish, 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes with some mozzarella melted on top. I felt horrible after I ate. Maybe I ate too much, but this was full and horrible indigestion. It's the first time I've felt a burning and discomfort like that. I took 1 Rolaids, and within just a few minutes, I felt fine. I'm so glad to know that Rolaids, a simple fix, can help like that.

I, too, struggle a lot with not taking that one bite too many. I want to learn when to stop and do it!!!

8 minutes ago, LisaCaryl said:

I don't eat meat or chicken, but I do eat fish. Tonight I had 2 ounces of swordfish, 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes with some mozzarella melted on top. I felt horrible after I ate. Maybe I ate too much, but this was full and horrible indigestion. It's the first time I've felt a burning and discomfort like that. I took 1 Rolaids, and within just a few minutes, I felt fine. I'm so glad to know that Rolaids, a simple fix, can help like that.

I, too, struggle a lot with not taking that one bite too many. I want to learn when to stop and do it!!!

I grew up in the country. So, the only time I would eat fish is when it's fried. But, those days aren't going to happen anytime soon. Grilled fish is good, but I can't eat it very often. If Bison wasn't so pricey, I would be eating it the most. I try to be mindful of chewing more and taking my time. That's a work in progress.

6 minutes ago, RonHall908 said:

I grew up in the country. So, the only time I would eat fish is when it's fried. But, those days aren't going to happen anytime soon. Grilled fish is good, but I can't eat it very often. If Bison wasn't so pricey, I would be eating it the most. I try to be mindful of chewing more and taking my time. That's a work in progress.

33 minutes ago, LisaCaryl said:

33 minutes ago, LisaCaryl said:

34 minutes ago, LisaCaryl said:

34 minutes ago, LisaCaryl said:

My surgeon has had me taking Pepcid A/C twice a day since surgery. I don’t have a set time that I take it. I’ve noticed a burning after some foods so I take it then. I had a Nissan wrap before this surgery for my acid reflux and they had to take it down to do my bypass. I do notice problems after I eat some of the harder to digest foods like meats.

@Noelle74 Congratulations on your sons wedding!

I'm also struggling with the one bit too many, and learning to eat slowly is complicated .... I've always eaten way to fast.

Also, can I ask if any of you are still constipated and how you're dealing with it ? Thanks

4 hours ago, BlueParis said:

Also, can I ask if any of you are still constipated and how you're dealing with it ? Thanks

I put a scoop of Benefiber in my tea or Protein Shake once a day. The type I bought has 5g Fiber per serving. If I have any trouble after that, I take a dose of Miralax daily as needed.

6 hours ago, BlueParis said:

@Noelle74 Congratulations on your sons wedding!

I'm also struggling with the one bit too many, and learning to eat slowly is complicated .... I've always eaten way to fast.

My surgeon had prescribed Senna so I wouldn’t get constipated. I’ve been taking it daily. I’m down to the last couple pills though and when I don’t take it I usually don’t go at all.

I was given the all clear to restart eating solid food at my 6 week appointment yesterday. Hooray! I'm not hungry but I did miss variety in flavor and texture. Tonight I'm making a 15 bean Soup because the weather is terrible and it sounded soothing.

The doctor did say I'm losing weight at the low end of normal. I need to increase my exercise, which I definitely struggle with. I need to figure out a good way to incorporate exercise every day.

11 minutes ago, NickelChip said:

I was given the all clear to restart eating solid food at my 6 week appointment yesterday. Hooray! I'm not hungry but I did miss variety in flavor and texture. Tonight I'm making a 15 bean Soup because the weather is terrible and it sounded soothing.

The doctor did say I'm losing weight at the low end of normal. I need to increase my exercise, which I definitely struggle with. I need to figure out a good way to incorporate exercise every day.

Congratulations! Be careful though. 15 bean Soup sounds like a lot coming right off a liquid diet & this soon after surgery. I had my endoscopy today, my gastric bypass surgery was Feb. 2nd, 2024. I have an anastomotic stenosis(stricture) & an ulcer. I hate it but it definitely explains the pain & intolerance when eating & drinking & the abdominal pain.