Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sadie and diarrhea

Hello everyone

I am considering the Sadie over gastric bypass. I spoke with the dietician about the Sadie procedure and everything seemed good but then she tells me I might have involuntary diarrhea. Also I may have very smelly bms and gas. Does anyone have any info about this? I really don't want to end up in diapers

Thanks

Does she mean just after the surgery? It’s not uncommon to experience some very sudden unexpected diarrhoea (no warning cramping) in the days after surgery regardless which surgery you have. Yes, it can be quite smelly too & dark as it contains remanent blood from the surgery. It happened to me but only once. A friend had it for a couple of days though her surgeon recommended she wear disposable knickers for a week or so just in case this happened. A godsend she said. We both have sleeves.

Can’t comment on whether it can be a long term issue with Sadi. Can’t recall anyone mentioning it here either.

Don't take advice from a Dietician. They advise you about things they read in books.

The Sadi is a fantastic option but creates an imbalance like all WLS's do. My bowel movements defineately smell worse, which is a result of undigested food passing through your colon. Your other option that you have in place now is to keep it and get fat(ter). The gas is a direct result of what you eat. I eat the wrong foods every day and lots of them. It causes gas and multiple bowel movements. The other other for me is for the food is be digested and stay on my body.

The bottom line is I'm thin and extremely fit in my 60's vs Obese and inactive in my 40's prior to the Sadi. I take a moderate amount of Vitamins (far less than normal DS patients), and if I eat too much food (which I do daily), I have gas and extra bowel movements to pass the food out. It's a tradeoff most people would live with.

I had the SADI-S…it’s been 7 months.

Right after surgery my bowels were in turmoil as expected. Diarrhea, Constipation.

Before surgery I had IBS. Once things settle down my BMs are much more consistent. Most likely because my diet is consistent. As Wellington states above, you can control and use your diet to control your bowel movements. Get out of line with your diet and you get out of line with the results.

Yes, there is more flatulence and odor, but it is an acceptable trade-off for what I have gained. Don’t let the small things get in the way of a life-changing decision that can save your life.

10 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Does she mean just after the surgery? It’s not uncommon to experience some very sudden unexpected diarrhoea (no warning cramping) in the days after surgery regardless which surgery you have. Yes, it can be quite smelly too & dark as it contains remanent blood from the surgery. It happened to me but only once. A friend had it for a couple of days though her surgeon recommended she wear disposable knickers for a week or so just in case this happened. A godsend she said. We both have sleeves.

Can’t comment on whether it can be a long term issue with Sadi. Can’t recall anyone mentioning it here either.

Thanks for your reply

She said life long. Up to 4 5 times a day. Scared the hell outta me. Diapers for.a couple weeks or so that's no problem.

8 hours ago, Wellington4321 said:

Don't take advice from a Dietician. They advise you about things they read in books.

The Sadi is a fantastic option but creates an imbalance like all WLS's do. My bowel movements defineately smell worse, which is a result of undigested food passing through your colon. Your other option that you have in place now is to keep it and get fat(ter). The gas is a direct result of what you eat. I eat the wrong foods every day and lots of them. It causes gas and multiple bowel movements. The other other for me is for the food is be digested and stay on my body.

The bottom line is I'm thin and extremely fit in my 60's vs Obese and inactive in my 40's prior to the Sadi. I take a moderate amount of Vitamins (far less than normal DS patients), and if I eat too much food (which I do daily), I have gas and extra bowel movements to pass the food out. It's a tradeoff most people would live with.

Thanks for your reply

The trade off sounds fantastic 👌

5 hours ago, Fred in Pa said:

I had the SADI-S…it’s been 7 months.

Right after surgery my bowels were in turmoil as expected. Diarrhea, Constipation.

Before surgery I had IBS. Once things settle down my BMs are much more consistent. Most likely because my diet is consistent. As Wellington states above, you can control and use your diet to control your bowel movements. Get out of line with your diet and you get out of line with the results.

Yes, there is more flatulence and odor, but it is an acceptable trade-off for what I have gained. Don’t let the small things get in the way of a life-changing decision that can save your life.

Thank you

I had DS which is similar to SADI and has the same bathroom warnings. I can confirm things were WILD for a few weeks post op. I felt so bad for my poor spouse and kids lmao. But after about 2 - 3 weeks things went back to normal for me. Normal poops and pretty normal smells. Are things possibly a little stinkier than they were before? Maybe but not by much. And it's still nothing compared to my teenage son lol. Like I wouldn't be afraid to use a public restroom if need be. I haven't found any triggers yet that make things worse, but then again I'm still being super careful with my diet.

TL;DR - things definitely were gross for a minute after surgery but then it went back to normal.

Best of luck to you!!

This is good to know! I've been a little worried about it too. I'm having a DS in less than 3 weeks and there aren't many around to talk to!

17 hours ago, ChunkCat said:

This is good to know! I've been a little worried about it too. I'm having a DS in less than 3 weeks and there aren't many around to talk to!

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! DS makes up less than 5% of all bariatric surgeries so we're definitely a rare breed lol. But I have found a handful of people between Reddit and Discord who had DS and were willing to chat. It's definitely not like finding RNY or VSG buddies though. I'm only eight weeks out at this point but I'm happy to help if you ever have any questions.

5 hours ago, LittleWanderer87 said:

Congrats on your upcoming surgery! DS makes up less than 5% of all bariatric surgeries so we're definitely a rare breed lol. But I have found a handful of people between Reddit and Discord who had DS and were willing to chat. It's definitely not like finding RNY or VSG buddies though. I'm only eight weeks out at this point but I'm happy to help if you ever have any questions.

Thank you!! I'll message you my Discord or whatever you prefer, it would be nice to have a fellow DSer to talk to through this! 8 weeks in, so you are returning to "normal" food now. That's great progress, congrats on getting this far!

53 minutes ago, Suzytoronto said:

Hi everyone

Just a update I had my surgery I decided on sadi and things are going very well. I want to thank everyone for their support.

Oh I'm so glad! Congratulations on your surgery! I just got the DS done a week ago. So far, so good!