Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else start sleeping with their mouth open post-surgery??

I used to sleep on my side before the surgery, but since the surgery every once in a while I sleep on my back and now sleep with my mouth open & snore which I haven't done since I was a kid! Getting annoyed with waking up to a dry mouth and I know it's not good health wise; anyone else experience this weird phenomenon? Or is it just me? lol

It's funny you should mention this ! I'm a side sleeper, but every once in a while i'll find myself sleeping on my back ! I NEVER slept on my back before. I don't think I snore though -my husband would make sure to tell me LOL I think the reason I can sleep on my back now is because I must have lost weight in my butt and I can lay flatter rather than have that big rear end make my back arch ! It's funny the odd little things we notice after surgery.

This gets bought up every now & again. It happened to me at times. I think it’s because we don’t have the fat around our necks to keep our mouths closed when we sleep. The muscles are probably a little slack because they didn’t really have to work before to keep your mouth closed.

Wait until the bony shoulders, knees & ankles actually make sleeping on your side painful. It used to wake me every 2 hours +/- & I’d have to roll over to my other side to tame pressure off those joints. .

6 hours ago, Arabesque said:

Wait until the bony shoulders, knees & ankles actually make sleeping on your side painful. It used to wake me every 2 hours +/- & I’d have to roll over to my other side to tame pressure off those joints.

This started happening to my knees last week! I've been using a pillow to help cushion them at night. Nothing in all of my pre-op education classes prepared me for this.

I think this is me too. About twice a week I am waking with that dreadful scary dry mouth. I

14 hours ago, summerseeker said:

I think this is me too. About twice a week I am waking with that dreadful scary dry mouth. I

Also, hate to tell you @summerseeker, what friends & I call Sahara dessert mouth or Egyptian mummy mouth, is a common affliction of women once we pass a certain age. Sigh!

18 hours ago, BeanitoDiego said:

This started happening to my knees last week! I've been using a pillow to help cushion them at night. Nothing in all of my pre-op education classes prepared me for this.

Doesn’t surprise me they didn’t tell you. Though I think it’s one of those things you have to experience to truely understand the pain. I tried a pillow but found it uncomfortable so I just put a hand just above my knees. (It’s how I used to sleep as a child.)

I have noticed I wake up on my back with my arms over my head a lot (it actually hurts my shoulders and i dont know why i keep doing it), and quite a few times with my mouth open and seriously dry. I've also noticed my cpap doesn't fit well anymore. It's like my nose has shrunk. I keep questioning if I still need it because I also feel like I can't breathe with it on. I'm planning on calling the Dr today about it.

13 hours ago, Arabesque said:
On 9/13/2023 at 4:03 PM, summerseeker said:

Also, hate to tell you @summerseeker, what friends & I call Sahara dessert mouth or Egyptian mummy mouth, is a common affliction of women once we pass a certain age. Sigh!

On 9/13/2023 at 12:08 PM, BeanitoDiego said:

Oh no, I can not be getting old. Inside I am only 21 Lols