Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

October 2023 surgery buddies

Congratulations! Oct 16 (bypass). Excited, nervous, excited, nervous. Can barely believe it’s HERE. Best wishes and see ya in the normal size clothing section!!

18 hours ago, Eterrell1975 said:

Scheduled for 10/17. I am on day 3 of preop and I feel better today than I did the last 2 days. It’s a struggle - I keep thinking of the food I want to eat. popcorn. pumpkin cake. Rice!! Ughhh

Just got to day 6 but those first few days were rough! Making the mental transition to realizing you will never eat the same again- may not be able to ever handle some of our favorite foods, not to mention with the holidays coming up, foo is advertised EVERYWHERE!! It got better by day 5, pretty clear sailing now. Very best wishes!!

On 9/26/2023 at 7:23 PM, LNoone said:

Manda1031 my date is oct 3 also!

I just saw this notification. How are you doing?

6 hours ago, Shotputqueen said:

How is everyone doing? I'm feeling pretty crappy, but today is better than yesterday. I haven't been meeting my Protein or fluid goals, but I'm really trying hard. I am feeling run down, but I think that's normal. Hoping I feel stronger soon.

Hi! I'm doing ok. Every day has gotten a little bit better.

On 10/6/2023 at 7:39 PM, Wildflower Bohême said:

My one week pre-op diet starts Monday, and I'm starting to get scared. Not of the actual surgery, really. I mean, I can talk about how great the benefits of bariatric surgery will be and how mindful of my eating I will become, and I'm really thankful that I've come this far and that I am able to do it... but the reality is coming, where I'll be in it, and not just talking about it.

It seems like maybe the attachment to my old ways of eating is rearing up and trying to pull me back. Like hey, you do realize that you can't stop this train a month in, right? Can't say, oh this diet is too hard, forget it, I'm gonna go eat a pizza now. I mean, that's part of why I want this surgery, because of that restriction.

But it's scary, because ending diets is all I've ever known. Not to mention the dumping and hypoglycemia that seems will follow for the rest of my life. This is new territory here, and it's serious. I know I'm going to go through with it and that it'll be great, at some point. But now that it's finally here, I'm just freaking out a little 🙃

My surgery is in two days and I can relate to this so much. Its so scary how food has become an addiction to so many of us. I am actually SCARED of not being able to eat or drink what I want or how much I want. It sounds completely insane, but I get it. We are changing our lives in a big way, but its 100% for the better. ❤️

Hi there. I had the exact same reaction when I started my pre surgery diet. I mean, the diet itself is ugg boring but the MENTAL reckoning- WOW! Wasn’t prepared for that. It took a lot to get to where we are, and it’s going to be hard work getting to where we want to go, but what a prize we’re hoping to find on the other side- US, who we want to be, what we want to be able to accomplish. I’m half way through my pre-op (2 weeks), surgery next Monday. It got better a few days in, something everyone assured me would happen. Dig deep and best wishes!!

Edited by GrannyMaggie

On 10/6/2023 at 10:46 PM, Jennifer U said:

It’s scary for sure, but I’m focused on how I will look and feel afterwards and that’s better than pizza.

2 hours ago, jacquelynn22 said:

My surgery is in two days and I can relate to this so much. Its so scary how food has become an addiction to so many of us. I am actually SCARED of not being able to eat or drink what I want or how much I want. It sounds completely insane, but I get it. We are changing our lives in a big way, but its 100% for the better. ❤️

46 minutes ago, GrannyMaggie said:

Hi there. I had the exact same reaction when I started my pre surgery diet. I mean, the diet itself is ugg boring but the MENTAL reckoning- WOW! Wasn’t prepared for that. It took a lot to get to where we are, and it’s going to be hard work getting to where we want to go, but what a prize we’re hoping to find on the other side- US, who we want to be, what we want to be able to accomplish. I’m half way through my pre-op (2 weeks), surgery next Monday. It got better a few days in, something everyone assured me would happen. Dig deep and best wishes!!

Thanks everybody!! It feels so good to know that other people are in the same boat and understand. I'm cheering you all on!

The next day after I wrote that post, I started to feel better. I think I just needed to get it out, you know? I'm focusing on the day by day. I saw that Halloween comes directly after my graduation from puree to soft foods, so I looked up Autumn/Halloween-y bariatric recipes for both of those stages. It gave me something concrete to look forward to (apart from the scale going down lol). ☺️🍂

Hi for my survey I have to do a 8 day pre-opt diet 3 shakes a day and solid Protein and veggies for dinner it’s an 800 calorie diet. I have been buying the premiere Protein Drinks but some of the different flavors so far, the cinnamon roll is my favorite, root beer float is really good. Birthday cake is good as well as the pumpkin spice they all have the same amount of nutrition, protein and calories. I’ve been drinking the shakes since January I do a vanilla for Breakfast with 6 ounces of Decaf coffee and that’s a great morning shake for me I’m not too fond of the vanilla by itself. The banana flavor is also really good. If you like banana with this brand. Hope that gives you some good ideas. Good luck on your journey you got this.

I like the Premier Protein drinks.

So far, my favorite flavors are chocolate, vanilla & caffe latte. I have also tried caramel, chocolate Peanut Butter & pumpkin spice - all a bit sweet for my taste.

I'm on the Pre-op diet with surgery scheduled on the 20th. It is perfectly normal to be scared - I know I am! This is life changing, but we got this 👍

Just had my sleeve surgery yesterday, 10/9! Nice to meet everyone! Going well so far. The recovery room experience was definitely unpleasant -- a lot of nausea but nothing to throw up! I was very uncomfortable until the early afternoon (surgery was at 7:30AM), then I got up, went to the bathroom, walked, and felt so good they sent me home without spending the night in the hospital! I feel MUCH better at home, almost like nothing happened!