Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Torn between counting carbs or counting calories

I've done good doing both ...eons ago I lost 40 pounds counting calories and the year before surgery I've lost 30 pounds counting carbs. I gained back the weight counting calories , but not counting carbs. My team always stresses calorie counts .... and when I mentioned I count carbs,they kinda looked at me like I have 2 heads and went on talking about calories. LOL It's so hard to count calories,especially if there's an item with alot of ingredients in it . Ex; Broccoli salad " broccoli,sunflower seeds,cherry tomatoes,green onions,green peppers etc. " Dietician said weigh every ingredient ,add up calories and divide by servings. No thank you . I don't want to feel like I'm back in math class LOL. What do you count ? Have you done either and lost doing it ? I want to count carbs and Protein ,but they have me questioning my choice.

I never counted calories or carbs or much of anything else.

Well, that's not true. I counted meals: 3. Each of which were 3oz Protein + 1oz veggies.

Most every plan has as the first rule: Focus on protein first. It's the rest that seems to vary.

I often think that following your surgeon's plan is more important than what is in the plan. It's about learning to eat again with some form of discipline. In the early months you get the positive reinforcement of losing weight, which makes continuing the plan easier.

Let's face it, doing it our way didn't work. Do it your medical teams' way.

Good luck,

Tek

I’m still in pre op and my nutrition team want us to focus on Protein first and build our meal around protein and Portion Control. They do not want us to focus on calorie counting.

I do both. I use the Baritastic app, and I set my calorie and carb goals and try not to exceed them. I think some people take issue with carb counting because there's good carbs and really, really bad carbs. For me, carbs are really important to monitor because I really don't like vegetables. I can eat a bit of fresh salad, but that's about it because I have texture issues. I can't stand cooked veggies, to me it's inedible slime. Lol! Obviously, good carbs are necessary for Vitamins and minerals and proper digestion, but carbs with no nutritional value (junk food) only "nurture" us emotionally. Ironically, after we eat crap that makes us feel good momentarily, we start to feel like crap, emotionally (guilt, mood swings) and physically (joint/muscle pain).

I stand by my carb detoxes. I never realized how mood-altering crap food can be. I was starting to use junk food like I was using alcohol, just for instant gratification and distraction, alcohol and carb hangovers be damned. However, I was extremely frustrated, and easily irritated all.the.time. My joints hurt when I eat crap. My sleep suffers too. Once I went below 50 carbs a day, my whole attitude changed. I felt better physically and emotionally.

Very healthy Proteins are moderately high in calories (beef, chicken, seafood), but Protein is very necessary with our bariatric surgeries. This is why I give myself more leeway with calories than carbs.Bad carbs, on the other hand, offer nothing but momentary satisfaction. Momentary satisfaction is good once in a while, but the problem with loading up on bad carbs again is that, like a drug, the more we ingest it, the more we crave it. The less we have it in our system, the less it calls our attention. People think I'm being dramatic, but I know how I feel when I detox from carbs and when I start eating crap again. It just snowballs, and eating junk becomes more and more "important" as the day progresses.

Using the app really helps me keep a realistic awareness of my nutritional goals. Because I'm only 3 months out, my goal settings right now are 750-800 cal, 70-80g protein, and <50 carbs. I have good days when I hit only 600 cals, 30 carbs, but 85+g protein. I also have my bad days when I consume 875 cals, 60 carbs, but only 65g protein. I think they really go hand in hand because the more carbs I eat, the more calories I'm consuming (and the less protein I get). I worry more about my carb intake because when I go over on my carbs, I know it's because I had bites here and there of junk food (not good carbs). At the end of the day, it really all comes down to what kind of carb intake you have. If your carbs are coming from fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, then it's great! But if not, then maybe take stock of them. Either way, I wish you the best always on your continued weight loss journey! :)

P.S. Prior to my surgery, my doc wanted me to lose weight (so he could help me lose weight) so I did a semi-liquid, hyper-low carb diet and lost 32 lbs in 38 days. Didn't count or give a flip about calories. I only drank 3 shakes a day, they wanted me to drink 5. Tan locos! I couldn't drink 5. I did 3 shakes and a hearty all protein dinner.< /span>

Edited by CarmenG

I do both. Actually, I log my calories, carbs, Protein, and fat. I'm so used to it at this point that it's second nature. One week I'll work out 5 days and rest 2. Then the next week I'll work out 4 days and rest 3. I also stick to my routine, but switch up the actual exercises within the routine so I "confuse" my body and what I'm doing continues to work.

Workout days (alternate between heavy cardio, weight training, core/strength training, wall/beginner pilates):

Calories: 1200-1300 (depending on what I'm doing that day)

Carbs: 35-40

Protein: 90g

Fat: 45-50g

NON workout days (rest days):

Calories: 900-1000

Carbs: 20-25

Protein: 60-70g

Fat: 30-35g

I've never counted carbs. I track calories. The dietitians at my clinic don't like us doing either, but counting calories works for me. I think a lot of it is personal preference and what works for you.

I didn’t have to count carbs or calories either. Just told to keep my carbs (sugar, fat) low & given a list of carbs to avoid (bread, Pasta, rice, etc. - anything low processed).

Portion size was what I had to focus on (& Protein & fluids of course). 1/4-1/3 cup from purée increasing to a cup at about 6 months. I still watch my portion sizes.

I used to randomly check calories just out of my own interest while I was losing & I still do this. Simply because if you are consuming more calories than your body needs to function effectively you will gain weight. (An additional 100 calories a day equates to 10lbs over a year 😱 yikes!) But yes working out calories for complex meals like salads, Soups, stews, etc. you cook yourself can be challenging & never completely accurate. I tend to focus on the protein content only then. I check the weight of the protein in the Soup, casserole, etc. & work out about how many portions that would be of the finished meal. Hard to weigh meats with bones to work out the calories too. I go to recommended serving sizes then to help guide my portion.

To eat carbs or not in the long term is really up to you and what works for you in regard to what types, how often, how much. I only ate rolled oats while losing and then could start adding other whole or multi grains carbs from maintenance. The carbs in vegetables & fruit were always okay & were a free pass. I only eat two serves of multi/whole grain carbs a day & still don’t eat bread & similar products, pasta, rice. They sit heavily. Don’t miss them & I do feel better without them - no bloating, less wind, etc. but that’s me.

There’s nothing stopping you counting your own carbs & keeping them at a level you’re happy with while you’re losing if you want. As long as you monitor, the best you can, the calories your team is asking for. Remember once you work out the calories for a specific salad, soup, etc, you don’t have to do it every time you eat those recipes. As long as your portion remains the same (adjusting for the increase in portions as you progress) the calories will be pretty accurate.

If you count carbs you still have to be mindful of how many calories you consume.

And if you count calories you have to be mindful of how many of those are from carbs. Fruits and veggies I don't worry so much about.

I used the Baritastic app during my 3-month pre-op diet basically to show my nutritionist what I was eating and to make sure I was staying within my limits to lose the weight needed for surgery. Afterwards I don't use it. Logging and thinking about food 24/7 drives me nuts. But I do practice mindful eating and if using it helps keep you on track, then do it. I did like the recipe feature. Just add all ingredients and then your serving size. It does all the math for you.

I pretty much know what foods to eat and which to avoid and the WLS restricts my amounts anyway. Portion Control, I think is most important. By now I've gotten pretty good at eyeballing what I put on my plate. Some days I can finish it and others I push it away. As long as my weight continues to go down, I know I am on the right track.

I'm hoping by the time the honeymoon phase is over and normal hunger returns, I will have formed new habits to maintain my losses and continue losing weight to goal.

I’ll be 5 years post op in October, and I was (and still am) an avid tracker so I log everything I eat, and my app figures out the cals and macros.

During weight loss phase I focused on being ultra-low carb (under 25g NET carbs a day). I also went low-calorie but this sorta happened on its own cuz I didn’t really want to eat much anyway…I.e., by the time I got to goal, I was consuming sub-800 cals a day.

lost all the weight I wanted plus a bit more, and looked like death’s older sister lolzzzzz.

i eventually got over my fear of carbs during maintenance and by around 2-3 years post-op, was eating whatever carbs I want (not just good carbs, but the not-so-great ones as well…I’m looking at dessert and chips!) BUT I still make sure to stay within my maintenance calorie range1800-ish cals a day normally, 2300+ cals when I’m in an exercising phase.

Its worth noting that I actually weigh LESS today (119 lbs) than I did when I was death’s sibling after reaching goal (127 lbs) yet I look waaaaaaay healthier (not so gaunt) now. I think it’s the carbs. While I really liked how my body looked back then when I was low-carbing, my face really suffered. Now, though my body looks less fit and “softer”, my face is also looking “softer” and is quite pleasing to look at in the mirror lolololzzzzzz.

long story short, weight loss is ultimately down to calories in and calories out, however way those calories are comprised (carb, fat, or proteins). Stay under your maintenance calories and you WILL lose weight. The trick is finding out what your maintenance calories are at ANY GIVEN POINT IN TIME because it isn’t static and changes with age, activity level, health status, sleep patterns, stress levels, etc….which is why I’m a big proponent of food/body weight/activity tracking cuz all that data helps to figure out patterns and stuff.

i get it’s not for everybody though. But I totally credit tracking to me staying under goal weight this entire time (5 years post in October).

Good Luck!❤️

Most post-op diet plans I see here seem like standard weight loss diets. Some of them seem quite draconian.

My surgeon's philosophy was different. From the very beginning he stressed that I was learning a new way of eating. This was a new way for me, but most rational people would view as "healthy" and nothing much out of the ordinary. This would be for the rest of my life. As I said in my previous post, I didn't count things in my plan beyond basic meal planning: Protein first then some veggies.

I started at what most here would call a "maintenance diet." In the first 6 weeks, it was no different than my most recent 6 weeks, other than the food was pureed. When I reached goal, nothing changed.

I had no desire nor inclination to live the rest of my life dieting.

Good luck,

Tek

Edited by The Greater Fool

The Greater Fool I love your approach ❤️❤️

11 hours ago, The Greater Fool said:

I had no desire nor inclination to live the rest of my life dieting.…

That’’s much like why I don’t like to use the word ‘diet’. I hare people asking what diet I’m on. Sure I was on a diet while I was losing but now this is just how I eat. It works for me but it may not work for anyone else. I prefer to say ‘a way of eating’ instead of diet because to me there are too many negative connotations with the word diet. Restriction, punishment, limitations & failure. And much like @The Greater Fool, how I eat now is very much like I ate when I was getting closer to maintenance based upon what I learnt about my needs & preferences as I was losing & adding & trialing foods. Slightly larger portions than then of course & more Snacks, but still predominately low processed, lowish carbs, lowish fats, very low sugar, still hitting Protein & fluid goals.

I count everything. I was diagnosed with congestive heart failure in 2022 and was put on a sodium restriction. Just two months before my projected VSG surgery date my A1C was 9.6% and I was put on diabetic meds(Metformin and Semaglutide), given a blood sugar meter with instructions to check my blood sugar twice daily, and told to cut out all sugars in my diet. Around the same time as my Type-2 Diabetes diagnosis my Bariatric Surgeon had me go on a Keto/Atkins very low carb diet prior to the liver shrinking diet due to my extremely high 71.5 BMI.

That was my first time on a 'low carb' diet since I tried South Beach in 2004, and I really liked it for how it made me feel and how much easier it has become to find low-carb substitutions for common foods. So I decided to stick with it post-surgery. I am two weeks out from my surgery and I am at the point where I can eat 800-1000 calories a day, where 50% is from Protein, 40% fat, 10% Net Carb, and sodium between 1,500mg and 2,000mg. I track my Daily food Intake in an Excel Spreadsheet, listing Calories, Total Fat, Protein, Net Carbs, Fiber, and Sodium of each. I also track my fluids, noting if the beverage has any sodium. I avoid sugars like the Plague, except when it comes to fruits. I will on occasion eat fresh strawberries, raspberries, or some honeydew melon.

I don't feel the Keto diet is suitable for Post-op due to the high reliance on Fats. I like a more even distribution favoring protein over fat, but still keeping enough healthy fats in my system so entering Ketosis is a possibility. My carbs are always under 25g a day, most of the time between 15g and 20g. I was only in Ketosis once for a brief few days, and it was right after surgery. I check my ketone level regularly with those over the counter 'pee' strips.

I like my method of tracking my nutrition manually instead of using an App or Website, although there is a lot more work looking up nutritional labels for everything I eat, or general nutritional information for those items without labels. The plus side of it is I am amassing a database of my frequently eaten food items so logging is becoming easier.

I agree with the general consensus that 'Diet' is an ill-fitting word for what we are doing. I like the term 'Lifestyle Change' much better. A diet, to me, is finite in its duration. It has a beginning and an end. A Lifestyle Change goes on indefinitely.

Edited by Big Matty
Added the last Paragraph

@Big Marty you spoke a word!