Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

10 cc band

I am trying to find a tread just for 10 cc bandsters... I was asked when I was banded in May 07 if I minded being given a 10cc band. I was told at the time that it was suppose to help you lose weight a little faster. I am wondering what the difference is and why they up from 4cc? My doc is 2 1/2 hours away that did the surgery. But their is a new guy in town who just started doing them. He is great guy and has really done pretty well doing my fills. But it seems he does not have a lot of experience with the after care. Just the fills and surgery. I have been telling him things he didn't seem to know/remember. Things as simple as not eating after fill(only liquids). That scares me a little that he didn't know that.

SO that is why I am asking about the 10cc band. I hope to get some real answers. I was 5'6 and 260 when I started so I was not a giant but I was big. I guess I don't know why they used that size of band on me. Any ideas? 4cc in a 10cc band.

I am trying to find a tread just for 10 cc bandsters... I was asked when I was banded in May 07 if I minded being given a 10cc band. I was told at the time that it was suppose to help you lose weight a little faster. I am wondering what the difference is and why they up from 4cc? My doc is 2 1/2 hours away that did the surgery. But their is a new guy in town who just started doing them. He is great guy and has really done pretty well doing my fills. But it seems he does not have a lot of experience with the after care. Just the fills and surgery. I have been telling him things he didn't seem to know/remember. Things as simple as not eating after fill(only liquids). That scares me a little that he didn't know that.

SO that is why I am asking about the 10cc band. I hope to get some real answers. I was 5'6 and 260 when I started so I was not a giant but I was big. I guess I don't know why they used that size of band on me. Any ideas? 4cc in a 10cc band.

I was told that the 4cc bands are the older bands. The newer ones

are AP Small 10cc and AP Large 14cc., so you may have the AP Small band. Ask your surgeon if you have the new AP band. I have the AP Large 14cc band.

I have the 10 cc band (done this past Oct 07). I just today got my second fill going up from 3 cc to a total of 6.5 cc.

According to my doctor, the 10 cc band may be more difficult to get to the optimal "sweet spot" than with the smaller bands. However, the band chosen us based what the doctor tends to use as well as our stomach size. Doesn't have much to do on our outsides - but our stomach.

He also said that most 10cc bands typically get good restriction around 7 cc. But again, that's up to the individual.

If you go over to the Fills section there's a big thread on the large AP band (starts back in 2006 I believe) and has some really good information.

I don't think you lose weight faster with the 10cc band. It seems to take a lot longer to reach good restriction with this band - though I think that's in large part to fills that aren't aggressive enough.

There are 2 10cc bands. As mentioned above, the "new band" is the AP band. Small = 10cc and large = 14cc

If that's the band your doc placed, it may be just because he wanted you to have the new band.

There is also the 10cc VG or Vanguard band. If that's the one you have, you'd have to ask your doctor why he used that one.

Usually they determine which band to use during surgery, depending on the size and shape of your insides. It usually has nothing to do with the size of your outsides. Although it sounds like he decided BEFORE surgery which band to use. For this reason, I'd guess you have the APS band.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Thanks, it is interesting to see all the differences in bands. We can almost see the progress within the treads here.

I just returned from my second fill and since I had good restriction with just a 1/2 cc fill last time, I asked him "Do I have a 4cc band?"

To which he replied:"There is no such thing as a 4cc band any longer". Turns out I have a 10 cc band, and he said he's never come close to a full 10 cc with one.

Well, all I know is that with the 1 cc he put in today, I have fabulous restriction! As you all say, to each his own... :)

By the way, I'm 5'0" tall, so I guess height doesn't really matter that much!!

Maybe they are using the 10cc band ( which I have also) b/c I've reads a few threads where people had 4cc bands and were completely filled and didn't have good restriction. So maybe the 10cc bands are better b/c they can fill them more and therefore tighten them more if needed????

I had 2cc last thurs at first fill. No restriction. But they told me not to expect any. Next fill is 1/3/08. I was told I would get 1.5. So we'll see what happens!

Struggling to keep my calories low, so I can continue to lose. Hard to do with no restriction. Determined to get 2 more pounds off by Dec 31. I want to be in "onederland".

Every new band has a sales pitch and it's a reason why that band is better than any other band. Truth is, it's a sales pitch. I'm not sure any of them are better than another as far as quality of weight loss speed. Some bands claim faster weight loss, some claim fewer slips, others claim fewer erosions. Bottom line is they all tend to do the same thing. They limit your ability to overeat.