Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

August 2023 Surgery Buddies!

4 minutes ago, Melody57 said:

Most of my questions are on food. For pre-op I’m allowed one meal of 4 oz of Protein and 1/2 cup of veggies. So right now I’m not sure if I can use a sugar free Salad Dressing as part of that or is it ok since it’s barely any calories and no sugar. I can email them so that helps.

oooo I wish I could have 1 meal on mine haha, but luckily I am just doing it Sun/Mon and then surgery Tuesday morning. The hardest part for me will be the coffee, it can only be black and I am a splenda/soy milk coffee drinker.

17 minutes ago, Melody57 said:

Most of my questions are on food. For pre-op I’m allowed one meal of 4 oz of Protein and 1/2 cup of veggies. So right now I’m not sure if I can use a sugar free Salad Dressing as part of that or is it ok since it’s barely any calories and no sugar. I can email them so that helps.

So glad you get to have a meal! That's awesome, I have heard that it makes it pretty bearable for pre-op from other people I have talked to. Getting so close, cant wait to hear all about it! :)

I have 13 days of full fluids and 1 day of clear fluids.

As for haters?

I've decided to keep my journey to myself and my husband.

Ignore the haters... Most are uneducated as to what we are all going through.

Edited by MeNotYou
Spelling error

19 hours ago, adodson912@gmail.com said:

I am getting more nervous. I am on my second day of pre-op liquid diet and Today I realized that I will not be able to eat bad food for a long time. Just weird. Like fried food, bread and ect. Just a big adjustment that I am ready to make!!! I need this for me and my family! Food has always been center of my life and I dont want it to be.

I think it's totally natural to mourn the loss of food! It was what we have known for so long and it is a huge change. I am also ready to live to eat and not the other way around. It will be such a nice change!

22 hours ago, MeNotYou said:

I have 13 days of full fluids and 1 day of clear fluids.

As for haters?

I've decided to keep my journey to myself and my husband.

Ignore the haters... Most are uneducated as to what we are all going through.

I love that you have kept it between you two. I have shared with a few close people but today my coworker said "doing anything fun for your week off?" I said oh, just having a small medical procedure, nothing too fancy" - I am not close with my admin team personal life wise, so I felt on the spot, but spit that out.

Good for you Tamra

The way I see it is...

It's my story to tell... My journey.

If I decide to speak about it... I will. Until the, this is hard enough.

Physically and mentally and emotionally.

Im not sure I could personally deal with a ton of negativity at this point.

I told my family (Mom, brothers, sisters-in-law). I am not telling anyone at work. Some friends know.

One of my SIL is a dietician and she was very negative on it, more because she's worried about the malabsorption factor. But she also is skinny and has never struggled with her weight, even having 2 kids. She's never understood how hard it is for someone whose genes and body are fighting against them. (She never worked as a dietician for overweight people, she worked in nursing homes planning diets and in a school lunch program. She would be terrible in a weight loss program - the super skinny dietician who says 'just eat less') My brothers and I all married naturally skinny people and we are all overweight, except maybe the dietician's husband less so because she scolds him - he still eats terribly when she isn't looking.

Edited by Jessi2023

I have told alot of people. I need all the support I can get. To me a bigger support system is better for my success. I weight 300lbs and once I start loosing weight quick people are going to notice. I would rather just be honest, then have to come up with something. Now this is just me and my opinion. I am 100% real , so I need all the advice and help I can get. No one has been negative to me through the whole process. Ya I have heard, people go back to what they used to do and gain it back. Ya I have heard its the easy way out. But its no different then taking weightloss medications and ect. It still requires alot of mental, emotional and physical work. I AM DOING THIS FOR ME AND MY FAMILY!! NOT FOR ANYONE ELSE!! THEY DONT LIVE MY LIFE

9 hours ago, MeNotYou said:

Good for you Tamra

The way I see it is...

It's my story to tell... My journey.

If I decide to speak about it... I will. Until the, this is hard enough.

Physically and mentally and emotionally.

Im not sure I could personally deal with a ton of negativity at this point.

Yes! It’s very physically mentally and emotionally challenging. Because this is my second weight loss surgery I have had some negativity from my family, but I am choosing to meet it with positivity.

8 hours ago, Jessi2023 said:

I told my family (Mom, brothers, sisters-in-law). I am not telling anyone at work. Some friends know.

One of my SIL is a dietician and she was very negative on it, more because she's worried about the malabsorption factor. But she also is skinny and has never struggled with her weight, even having 2 kids. She's never understood how hard it is for someone whose genes and body are fighting against them. (She never worked as a dietician for overweight people, she worked in nursing homes planning diets and in a school lunch program. She would be terrible in a weight loss program - the super skinny dietician who says 'just eat less') My brothers and I all married naturally skinny people and we are all overweight, except maybe the dietician's husband less so because she scolds him - he still eats terribly when she isn't looking.

Yes it’s usually ones who have never struggled. Ugh. Don’t worry about the malabsorption! I had lapband done in 2010 and I’ve been ok!

My surgery date is August 9th, and I'm on day 3 of my pre-op diet. Less than 1000 calories, 2 Protein Shakes and two low carb Snacks, and 1 low carb meal at supper. Days 10-13 will be liquid diet only.

I've been able to lose 30 pounds before surgery with the help of injectables, increasing exercise, and modifying diet. Off of the injectables now and have had to limit exercise. I've been struggling with the feelings of hunger.

9 hours ago, tamra. said:

Yes it’s usually ones who have never struggled. Ugh. Don’t worry about the malabsorption! I had lapband done in 2010 and I’ve been ok!

I just got back from my pre-op class and feel much better. I have to say my clinic seems to be doing a very good job of making sure you are well educated and giving you all the support you need. They will test your Vitamin levels every 6 months for life and want to keep following you for 5 years. Having them tested is key to me, because its important to know if what you are doing is working. I'm chronically low on Vit D, and I've had doctors test me, see I'm low and tell me to take supplements with no follow-up. Guess what? The level of supplementation wasn't cutting it, I needed a higher dose. So I'm really glad they are proactive about that.

4 days to go!