Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could you please share your favorite supplements brand for multi vitamins/iron/calcium and why they’ve worked best for you? I need to order some and am confused between chews (like Starbursts?) and liquid (better absorption?) and chewables (chalky?). I care most about proper absorption bc I’m having gastric bypass and want to keep my levels healthy. Thanks all!

I would follow your surgeons recommendations if they have them, mine recommended Celebrate. Unfortunately, any Multivitamin that was chewable or tablet form led to extreme nausea so I switched to gummy vitamins and my surgeon approved them. For Calcium I use Bariatric Fusion calcium chews in caramel flavor, and Adora calcium chocolate for a daily treat. I would recommend not buying in bulk until you know what works for you!

chews, chewables, and liquids should all be fine. Bypass patients are usually told not to take gummies, but the other versions you mentioned are fine.

Make sure your Calcium supplements are calcium citrate, because we don't absorb calcium carbonate well (the person above mentioned Adora - maybe those are OK for sleeve patients, but not bypass patients). The Bariatric fusion ones the other poster mentioned are fine for bypassers, though. The first few months post-op I took Bariatric Advantage calcium chews, those are fine for us too (later I just took calcium citrate tablets)

On 04/23/2023 at 20:35, catwoman7 said:

chews, chewables, and liquids should all be fine. Bypass patients are usually told not to take gummies, but the other versions you mentioned are fine.

Make sure your Calcium supplements are calcium citrate, because we don't absorb Calcium carbonate well (the person above mentioned Adora - maybe those are OK for sleeve patients, but not bypass patients). The Bariatric Fusion ones the other poster mentioned are fine for bypassers, though. The first few months post-op I took Bariatric Advantage calcium chews, those are fine for us too (later I just took calcium citrate tablets)

Calcium citrate is preferred for better absorption, however I was told calcium carbonate is fine - it just has to be taken with food for optimal absorption. Not sure if the same goes for bypass patients, other surgery centers may also have different recommendations.

Anyone find any calcium citrate pills that arent huge? Im doing chews now because im only 7.5 weeks out, but if i ciould find a reasonable one in pill form id do that.

I bought a calcium citrate powder because it was the least expensive Calcium citrate I could find. It's unflavored, but it doesn't dissolve well in cold liquids and ended up at the bottom of the cup. Mixed it in with pudding and refried Beans and it was gritty, but OK because I don't have a texture issue. Seemed to dissolve well with the turkey chili. It's called UPCalD and I got it from MedicalMonks. Other sites had it, but they were the least expensive.

I use the BariatricPal chewable multivitamin with Iron. It makes me nautious unless I take it with dairy. I drink 2oz of milk, chew up the MV, then another 2oz of milk. The pharmacist said the amount of calcium in 4oz of milk isn't enough to worry about taking with an iron fortified MV. But note, some Protein powders have a little calcium and some have A LOT.

BariatricEating.com has a couple calcium fortified protein powders that have 1150g per scoop. Most of the others vary from a few grams to 350g per scoop.

I use the Bariatric Advantage "chewy bites" for both my multivitamin and Calcium (they're the "starburst" texture ones you were referring to). I take BariMelts Iron + C for iron; they are a dissolving tablet and while they don't taste great they seem to be one of the only iron supplements that don't upset my stomach.

I would say as far as absorption, anything formulated for bariatric patients would probably be best.

6 hours ago, Sigh said:

Anyone find any calcium citrate pills that arent huge? Im doing chews now because im only 7.5 weeks out, but if i ciould find a reasonable one in pill form id do that.

There are some chewy/chewable calcium citrate products out there but I'm fairly sure most of the pills meant to be swallowed will be a similar size.

7 hours ago, Sigh said:

I get the "petite Calcium citrate" tablets at Walgreens (it's a Walgreens brand). Citracal makes a petite version, too.

Could you please share your favorite supplements brand for multi vitamins/iron/calcium and why they’ve worked best for you? I need to order some and am confused between chews (like Starbursts?) and liquid (better absorption?) and chewables (chalky?). I care most about proper absorption bc I’m having gastric bypass and want to keep my levels healthy. Thanks all!
PatchAid multivitamin patch with Iron, chewable BariMelts ADEK. Both once daily. It works for me because I have a hard time with pills. Been on the patch for years and just added the ADEK because my Vitamin A decreased a bit on my blood test before last (fine now after adding the BariMelt ADEK).

The mix that works for me is

ProCare Health - Bariatric Multi Vitamin w/ 45 Iron one a day - https://procarenow.com/products/once-daily-bariatric-multivitamin-with-45mg-of-iron-capsule?selling_plan=4946788588

ProCare Health - Cal-Mag DK calcium https://procarenow.com/collections/calcium-supplements/products/cal-mag-dk-capsules?selling_plan=4716593388

Bariatric fusion - B50 Complex - https://www.bariatricfusion.com/products/b50-complex?_pos=5&_sid=29c6f5f81&_ss=r

And then I just use a B12 melting tablet.

These were the easiest for me, I HATE the big chewable chalky Vitamins.

Edited by SuziDavis

On 04/23/2023 at 17:10, vsg2410 said:

I would follow your surgeons recommendations if they have them, mine recommended Celebrate. Unfortunately, any Multivitamin that was chewable or tablet form led to extreme nausea so I switched to gummy vitamins and my surgeon approved them. For Calcium I use Bariatric Fusion calcium chews in caramel flavor, and Adora Calcium chocolate for a daily treat. I would recommend not buying in bulk until you know what works for you!

Thanks- good advice. I’ll need to road test probably based on follow up blood work if that’s how my surgeon determines proper nutrition levels.

On 04/23/2023 at 20:35, catwoman7 said:

Make sure your Calcium supplements are calcium citrate, because we don't absorb Calcium carbonate well (the person above mentioned Adora - maybe those are OK for sleeve patients, but not bypass patients). The Bariatric Fusion ones the other poster mentioned are fine for bypassers, though. The first few months post-op I took Bariatric Advantage calcium chews, those are fine for us too (later I just took calcium citrate tablets)

Thank you- I’m looking into the chewables. I love a chew but am really tired of lingering sweets in my mouth after all the Protein Shakes.

9 hours ago, Tomo said:

Been on the patch for years

I'm curious about the vitamin patches. I asked my nutritionist about them and was told they are known not to absorb as well as chewables etc. But they sound so convenient.

I am taking Walgreen's Optifast Post Bariatric citrus chewables 4Xs a day without any problems. But time will tell if they keep me at proper levels.

15 hours ago, BabySpoons said:

I'm curious about the vitamin patches. I asked my nutritionist about them and was told they are known not to absorb as well as chewables etc. But they sound so convenient.

I am taking Walgreen's Optifast Post Bariatric citrus chewables 4Xs a day without any problems. But time will tell if they keep me at proper levels.

I've been on this site for about eight years, and the patch Vitamins come up once in awhile (esp when they first came out). They seem to work for some people, but not everyone. I've never tried them because I figured I'd be one of those they don't work for - but I've considered getting some for traveling since they're convenient and I wouldn't have to lug a bunch of pills around. Plus even if they don't work for me, a few days of low (or no) absorption won't kill me.