Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone her have the BPD/DS done? I am scheduled for surgery April21. Look for some advice on my 2 week liver shrinkage preop diet. What shakes did you like? What did you pick for your 4 meals that you can have. Those kinds of things. Thanks in advance!

My wife is coming up on 18 years out on her DS, but can't offer any real advice on the preop diet as we didn't have one. The best general advice on the shakes is to try several ahead of time (some manufacturers/retailers have sample packs of different varieties that you can get to try). Try both the RTD (ready to drink) and mixes as suits your needs, but there is more variety in the mixes. Generally, 100% whey isolate is preferred to the cheaper whey blends or concentrates as it is better absorbed (and also more expensive...) and is also better tolerated by those who are or develop lactose intolerance as the lactose is filtered out in the processing. But if a blend or concentrate fits your tastes better, one that you will drink is preferred over one that just sits on your shelf. An additional option is unflavored powder (though there is no such thing as one without taste...) and flavor it with one of the sugar free flavor syrups that are available. Also, when just to complicate things further, when/if you hit on one that you like, don't load up on too much of it, as your tastes may change post op (or they may not...)

Good luck in getting through this - lots of changes in these next few weeks pre and post op, but things settle out over time.

Hi RickM,

Congratulations on your weight reduction, what a fantastic result!

I had BPD & DS way back in 2008 and found excellent results on the pre-surgery weight loss program through use of the Optifast VLCD shakes, bars, and Soups.

These products were recommended for me to take for ~2 months before surgery "to reduce fatty deposits around the liver" if my memory serves me right.

🥸👌