Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

19 minutes ago, Christi Hawkins said:

Day 6 Post-Op for me!! I had my sleeve surgery on March 7th.

I agree with most of what has been said so far but I had quite a lot of pain for the first 3 days. They ran some tests, which showed nothing, so I imagined it or have turned into a big baby! I thought days 1-3 were brutal but in hindsight, I probably should have done a few things better.

1. Do exactly what your nurses tell you to do as soon as they tell you to do it. No matter how you feel. If they don't get you up and walking, you ask. My first nurse had me up on the first day and we walked twice. The next day was his day off so no one offered after that. As I was laying in bed miserable every time I looked up there was a young lady with pink hair and a big smile on her face making lap after lap. So I got approval to do it on my own

2. Start drinking the moment they tell you. It will look gross but it will make you feel so much better and SIP DO NOT GULP!! I could only get down Water and didn't really even try to until the 3rd day

3. Have a game plan for recovery. I'm not sure why this happened but I woke up feeling very strange about what I'd done. Several moments of Buyer's Remorse and I remember just feeling sick about it. Almost like I hadn't expected it or the surgery happened by surprise. I can't really describe it but it was very strange and I didn't snap out of it for at least 2 days. So pull in your support group as quickly as you need.

So now it's Day 6 and I almost feel back to normal. Pain is gone, I'm having no trouble getting all my Protein and liquids in. I'm a little more tired than normal but that's it, really.

I think the rest is going to be mental, so I'm trying to get my expectations in a realistic position. Please don't doubt your decision, or feel alone. We're all in this together and we can lean on each other when we need

Thanks so much for your detailed account and honesty. I really need to hear what it's going to be like and how I might be feeling. My bypass is scheduled for 3/29, so my thoughts are definitely getting more serious. Lol

I wish you a complete and speedy recovery and that you move quickly to happier days. ❤️

Thank you so much, I really appreciate it. Don't doubt yourself and if you do we are here to help!!

March 23!
Any advice from those who recently had surgery? I’m flying into Vegas on 23rd, having surgery that day and flying home next day on 24th.
Then back to work Monday. Little nervous I won’t be able to handle it but I’m committed to fighting through it.

03/13/2023 11:40 PM, Lnr1922 said:

March 23!

Any advice from those who recently had surgery? I’m flying into Vegas on 23rd, having surgery that day and flying home next day on 24th.

Then back to work Monday. Little nervous I won’t be able to handle it but I’m committed to fighting through it.

Day 4 post-Op was the first day I physically felt strong enough… but focusing on all the eating and drinking goals is it’s own job. If it’s possible I would highly consider asking for more time off if you can. Also flying immediately after surgery (not sure how long your flight is) seems rather brutal. I could barely sit up day 1 post-Op and getting into a car shaking my whole body did not feel good. Plus I had random episodes of dumping and/or nausea. You know your circumstances best but those first few days you really need to be very kind and gentle with your body.

As of yesterday I bumped myself up to 500 calories/75g Protein and felt better about this than 400 cals/60g protein. My taste buds seem to be improving by the day. My stomach still feels a little “raw” and a little swollen but very much healed compared to a few days ago. Our bodies are amazing!

Speaking of the mental aspect - I don’t think I have buyer’s remorse…??? maybe I’ll just voice out what I’m feeling as I do not know how to describe it. I just feel like woah i made a decision to undergo body modification that I can never undo. I previously had my gallbladder removed and didn’t experience the same feeling even though it does play a part in body functioning. It’s hard to remember this will result in weight loss, as I’m more focused on getting nutrients - Water, protein, Vitamins daily now. Feels like a game where I have to tick all the boxes daily to be sure I’m staying healthy. Again seems so far removed from this leading to weight loss. My weight loss goal wasn’t aesthetic, definitely preventative for other diseases stemming from obesity.

What has been tough is seeing all the amazing food on Instagram when I’m on liquids only. 😢 I remind myself I will eat food again, this stage is to nurture my stomach back to health.

How are the March ESG’s doing. Mine is tomorrow and I’m quite nervous. I have a 34 BMI and people are trying to talk me out of it

The three day pre diet wasn’t as bad as I thought. Mine is tomorrow. I’m tempted to chicken out too.

On 03/14/2023 at 23:25, Mrs Roz said:

How are the March ESG’s doing. Mine is tomorrow and I’m quite nervous. I have a 34 BMI and people are trying to talk me out of it

I am scheduled for surgery on Monday and weighed in today at my pre-op at 32 BMI and they confirmed good to go

I had my surgery yesterday and so far so good. I’m drinking 1 oz of Water 2x an hour and at 10 am will move up to 4 oz water/liquids an hour. I’ve gone to the bathroom 3 times. The hardest part is moving, but sooner you start moving the better.. oh and the hospital stay.. the came in like every hour from 3:00-7am , so kind of intrusive, but they were doing this job and giving me meds and taking labs. Biggest thing for me is nausea, making sure I don’t throw up. Oxygen levels, walking and if I can take liquids.
You can do this!! On a side note, my stomach is loud today! She’s mad at me.. lol

3 hours ago, Alleycat20032003 said:

I had my surgery yesterday and so far so good. I’m drinking 1 oz of Water 2x an hour and at 10 am will move up to 4 oz water/liquids an hour. I’ve gone to the bathroom 3 times. The hardest part is moving, but sooner you start moving the better.. oh and the hospital stay.. the came in like every hour from 3:00-7am , so kind of intrusive, but they were doing this job and giving me meds and taking labs. Biggest thing for me is nausea, making sure I don’t throw up. Oxygen levels, walking and if I can take liquids.
You can do this!! On a side note, my stomach is loud today! She’s mad at me.. lol

Thank you for your reply! I am glad that you are not in pain or something!

I had mine on 3/13. And it's not that bad.

first 8 hours were the worst.

And it's not that bad.