Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dumping or something else?

I was at work and walked to the corner store on my lunch break to pick up some food. I got a vegan Protein Bar by the name of "misfits" because it fit my nutritionists macros for Protein Bars (15 grams of Protein, 1 gram of sugar). I ate my protein bar on the walk back and was amazed at how good it tasted. About 15 minutes after that, I started feeling incredibly hot and dizzy, then the nausea set in. I was sitting at work trying to hold it together but went to the bathroom and realized I felt like I needed to puke so I went back to my coworkers, said I am feeling really sick and ill finish the day from home.

Now im home and I tried puking, lots of violent dry heaves but nothing is coming out. Now I am having incredibly bad diarrhea and cramping.

I dont see how this is dumping if the bar had decent macros. I've eaten worse foods higher in fat and sugar and felt fine. This is all I've eaten today besides a profee (protein coffee) and a bunch of Water.

I've never had this much stomach pain. I was reading the reviews foe the bar and a select few said they made them very sick and hurt their stomachs. Sometimes this happens with these products that are high Fiber low sugar.

Anyone else dump on a food like this before? I feel like I'm going to pass out oh my godddd.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app

it might be - although that usually involves heart palpitations, sweating, and dizziness. Diarrhea for sure - nausea is less common (I know you said you had a couple of these symptoms). Sugar or fat is what normally sets off dumping (sugar is more common). This bar didn't have very much sugar in it, though - so I'm not sure if this was dumping or not.

I'm thinking it could also be a reaction to whatever artificial sweetener they use in those bars. I've heard of those kinds of reactions to various sweeteners, too - esp sugar alcohols (those whose names end in -itol - like xylitol or maltitol.

PS Just looked those bars up - they do have xylitol in them, so it could have been that, too..

https://healthfully.com/xylitol-sweetener-side-effects-5965019.html

Edited by catwoman7

I agree with @catwoman7, but I'll add one thing.

There are three things I suppose this could be:

1. Dumping syndrome. Not all that likely, but possible I guess?
  2. A reaction to one of the ingredient. Could be xylitol, but there are other "not-really-foods" in there that may have also caused a reaction?
  3. That said, my money's on excess fiber. Those bars seem to have quite a bit of fiber in them, especially soluble fiber. Soluble fiber will swell in the gut, expanding to a much larger size than the bar itself. As a bypass patient, I think that definitely could have caused your symptoms.

Edited by SpartanMaker

2 hours ago, SpartanMaker said:

I agree with @catwoman7, but I'll add one thing.

There are three things I suppose this could be:

1. Dumping syndrome. Not all that likely, but possible I guess?
  2. A reaction to one of the ingredient. Could be xylitol, but there are other "not-really-foods" in there that may have also caused a reaction?
  3. That said, my money's on excess Fiber. Those bars seem to have quite a bit of fiber in them, especially soluble fiber. Soluble fiber will swell in the gut, expanding to a much larger size than the bar itself. As a bypass patient, I think that definitely could have caused your symptoms.

yea you're right - I didn't think of that. The fiber could have done it, too.

It must be the fiber thing. I know I've had fake sweeteners before my surgery and got really sick but didn't feel nauseous, mainly just lower GI stuff. But this time around nausea followed by diarrhea. I still have a lot of residual gas. Just assume it's the fiber. Wow I bought three of them to eat for thr weekend but unfortunately they're going in the bin. So much for a good tasting Protein bar.

Sent from my SM-G975U using BariatricPal mobile app