Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what surprised you?

Another thing that has surprised me 5 days post-op is that a few minutes after I drink any of my favorite Fairlife Protein Shakes I get terrible diarrhea. I was expecting to be constipated for days after surgery and even stocked up on Miralax in preparation. But I'm having the complete opposite problem. I'm trying to drink more Water to avoid dehydration from the constant bathroom trips 😵 I am going to have to try different Protein brands to find one that doesn't cause such destruction LOL

5 minutes ago, raspberrylime said:

Another thing that has surprised me 5 days post-op is that a few minutes after I drink any of my favorite Fairlife Protein Shakes I get terrible diarrhea. I was expecting to be constipated for days after surgery and even stocked up on Miralax in preparation. But I'm having the complete opposite problem. I'm trying to drink more Water to avoid dehydration from the constant bathroom trips 😵 I am going to have to try different Protein brands to find one that doesn't cause such destruction LOL

I drink Fairlife and had the same issue. But I don't think it was so much the Fairlife as it was just being on strictly liquids only. What my team recommended was to add benefiber (to bulk things up) and powdered Probiotics and that worked. What ultimately helped also, was moving on from liquids and progressing through the food stages.

Not being able to tolerate Water. I was finally back in the habit and drink 100oz a day and now I can’t stomach it. I’ve tried all kinds of flavor packets and SF grape crush is the only one I can stomach. Also not having that “I’m full” feeling like I thought I was supposed to have.

Post op day 5 for me. I don't feel hungry, but I was surprised at how much I am struggling to get fluids in. I just don't feel the urge to drink nor do I feel hungry. I force myself to drink but after a few sips, my stomach says it's good.

I got some IV hydration with some Vitamins added yesterday from a friend. I feel better, but I'm thinking I may need to get the IV fluids off and on until I can get more healed.

Constipation has been my biggest issue. I wasn't really expecting it for myself since I've never struggled with it before especially in the last 6 years after having my gallbladder removed. I knew it was a possibility but I guess it comes from the unfortunate invincible attitude. The rare occasions I'm in massive pain are the only moments I regret the surgery.

But overall I don't regret it. The broken girl standing in my shoes a year ago prayed for this. Minor struggles compared to what I was going through then.

I have many medical conditions that put me extreme risk for any surgery. My surgeon and his team prepared and prepared me for all complications. Death, fighting for my life, in intensive care, starting the surgery and closing without the sleeve happening. My surgeon and I planned and had procedures and tests for 21 months.

I had my surgery on October 5, 2022. Everything went great. I stayed at the hospital for about 24 hours. I have cirrhosis, so I took pain meds very little. Nothing, not even Tylenol after 2 days. I had no trouble walking after surgery.

Let me say, I had open heart surgery to remove a large tumor, cardogenic shock and fought for my life in intensive care for almost a month, 6 years ago. So, everything is relative, maybe this surgery seemed so easy because of prior experience.

The one other thing, that had surprised me is hunger. I feel hungry, not head but actual hunger. Hoping that will pass.

Good luck.