Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have containers and containers of food. Strange new habit.

Since my revision I've picked up a strange new habit. I still think about food quite a bit, although I still average 970 to 1000 a day. I'm upping it slowly for maintenance. I'm going on my one year revision surgiversary in August. I love shopping online and get all kinds of food but I literally have a room full of food in sealed containers. If there is any emergency, I would have about 3 months of food or more haha. My poor husband has to eat the overfull freezer and fridge food that I buy. I used to have an empty fridge and freezer and eat out all the time (pre WLS srugeries) but not in the last year. Maybe because I've been cooking a lot at home and I want all the ingredients at my fingertips. I was wondering if there is anyone like this out there? Although it makes sense given my long history with my love for food, It's still so bizarre to me.

For the first couple years I bought special milk chocolate bars from around the world. There was even a Hershey's. Never ate a bite. Filled up our little freezer, until after a couple years my wife gave me an ultimatum... The chocolate had to go. It went.

I still over buy at the grocery.

Good luck,

Tek

22 minutes ago, The Greater Fool said:

For the first couple years I bought special milk chocolate bars from around the world. There was even a Hershey's. Never ate a bite. Filled up our little freezer, until after a couple years my wife gave me an ultimatum... The chocolate had to go. It went.

I still over buy at the grocery.

Good luck,

Tek

Ahhh the life post-op for some of us. Thank you for responding. It helps to know I'm not alone about over buying either. 😵

For a while after my surgery, I over-shopped for groceries because I hadn't yet gotten used to eating so little. Even in my liquid/pureed/soft food stages, I bought way more yogurt, applesauce, etc. than I needed because I wasn't really thinking about how I was only eating half a container at a time. Plus, I was living in a "food desert" without easy access to a grocery store, so I was in the habit of stocking up when I went to the store. Eventually, I got a much better handle on how much food to buy, and I now live somewhere that I can get grocery pickup or delivery, so I order online and I use the same basic list every week (adding or subtracting as needed).

I have also gotten really into healthy cooking. I've found tons of great, healthy recipes on Pinterest. Since I live alone and eat fairly small portions, every time I cook a meal, it makes 8-20 servings, and I freeze the leftovers (Souper Cubes are the best thing since sliced bread, BTW). I have had to hold back from cooking because my freezer is already packed with single-serving meals. I have a whole list of other recipes that I really want to try, but not until I use up some of my existing meals!

My biggest weakness is Built Bars. They keep releasing new limited-edition flavors, and every time they do, I HAVE to buy a box! I even track my Built Bar inventory on a spreadsheet. I keep telling myself I'm not going to buy any more, but every time I get below 300, they release another new flavor.

I would overbuy if not for my hubby. We'll be in the store and I'll say I want xxxx and he'll remind me it'll go bad before I can eat it all and I'm the only one that eats it. 🤪 A little frustrating at times.

For a while after my surgery, I over-shopped for groceries because I hadn't yet gotten used to eating so little. Even in my liquid/pureed/soft food stages, I bought way more yogurt, applesauce, etc. than I needed because I wasn't really thinking about how I was only eating half a container at a time. Plus, I was living in a "food desert" without easy access to a grocery store, so I was in the habit of stocking up when I went to the store. Eventually, I got a much better handle on how much food to buy, and I now live somewhere that I can get grocery pickup or delivery, so I order online and I use the same basic list every week (adding or subtracting as needed).
I have also gotten really into healthy cooking. I've found tons of great, healthy recipes on Pinterest. Since I live alone and eat fairly small portions, every time I cook a meal, it makes 8-20 servings, and I freeze the leftovers (Souper Cubes are the best thing since sliced bread, BTW). I have had to hold back from cooking because my freezer is already packed with single-serving meals. I have a whole list of other recipes that I really want to try, but not until I use up some of my existing meals!
My biggest weakness is Built Bars. They keep releasing new limited-edition flavors, and every time they do, I HAVE to buy a box! I even track my Built Bar inventory on a spreadsheet. I keep telling myself I'm not going to buy any more, but every time I get below 300, they release another new flavor.
Lol those do look good

Sent from my SM-S908U using BariatricPal mobile app

I would overbuy if not for my hubby. We'll be in the store and I'll say I want xxxx and he'll remind me it'll go bad before I can eat it all and I'm the only one that eats it. [emoji2957] A little frustrating at times.
Hehe good hubby.

My freezer is full of single serves of meals I’ve cooked. I sometimes think of it as my takeaway supply. Don’t want to cook - just check the freezer & I have a meal in a couple of minutes.

I have at least two backups of foods I eat regularly in the pantry too. Like two bags of seed mix, rolled oats, barley, Condiments, etc. There are several tins of tomatoes, lentils, etc, too. And I have like 8 packets of the multigrain crackers I like as I can’t get them at my usual shop so I buy in bulk.

Think some of it is in response to the lockdowns the past two years though when it was hard to find some items (still erratic supplies of some items at times). I’m not getting caught out again.

My freezer is full of single serves of meals I’ve cooked. I sometimes think of it as my takeaway supply. Don’t want to cook - just check the freezer & I have a meal in a couple of minutes.
I have at least two backups of foods I eat regularly in the pantry too. Like two bags of seed mix, rolled oats, barley, Condiments, etc. There are several tins of tomatoes, lentils, etc, too. And I have like 8 packets of the multigrain crackers I like as I can’t get them at my usual shop so I buy in bulk.
Think some of it is in response to the lockdowns the past two years though when it was hard to find some items (still erratic supplies of some items at times). I’m not getting caught out again.

Ahhh true true. When covid hit, I had the hardest time getting the supplies that I needed. We all did. Tough times. I always have so many paper towels now lol. Now when I really like something, I hoard it.

I buy when things are on sale and if I have a coupon that’s even better! But, I shop for a household of 5 (mostly children) so stocking up on things like Mac and cheese, Pasta, and crackers is a must. I will admit though that I have an obscene amount of peanut/nut butter (at least 10 jars) and I just cleared out my energy drink stash and took it to work. I might just see how long I can go without going to the store.

You beat me @Starwarsandcupcakes. I only have 4 jars of peanut paste (butter) in my fridge. 😁😁

I froze several meals in large ice cube trays (walmart). They are 1/2 cup. First was 93% hamburger into taco meat 1/3 cup and topped with 1/8 cup guacamole. The second was Italian ground turkey with marinara topped with a little chickpea spaghetti. Third was cauliflower thins topped in pizza sauce and turkey pepperoni baked 15 minutes and then topped with mozzarella cheese and broiled to melt. I also froze turkey chili. I pop any of my meal cubes in microwave, portion correct, at a moment notice. I have a dozen cubes in each ziplock bag. I have gifted my neighbors most of my pantry, freezer so 90% of my house is good food choices.