Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What foods have you broken up with?

9 hours ago, ms.sss said:

I used to eat rice multiple times a day myself pre-op.

It was surprising how much I DIDN’T miss it the first two years. Around the 2 year mark, I had my first rice in the form of a maki roll. Turns out It’s quite filling for me and I could eat only 1, maaaaybe 2 pieces at a time. Still don’t eat rice like I did pre-op…and if I do, it’s only on the rare occasion I decide to have maki. Same goes for Pasta and potatoes.

Thank you for this. I have been reading about carbs I can eat and I’m so scared about rice, bread, and Pasta. I understand that it will take up to 18 months for the pouch to stretch again. In the meantime, sashimi is my new sushi order.

I think I'm adding coconut to my break-up list. I've had two quite strong negative reactions to coconut so far, with plain unsweetened coconut probiotic yoghurt, and just now I tried the tiniest taste of the coconut cream in a cake treat I bought for my partner. I'm talking a taste the size of a large pinhead. Same response as I had to the yoghurt - it is WAY too rich and almost makes me physically shudder.

I've not tried savoury coconut yet, but this doesn't bode well for Thai yellow curry down the line!

My most painful breakup was with vanilla ice cream. Before surgery it was my favorite food. Five years later I still dump on it and it has lost its appeal, like a former lover who I found out was a person of no substance.

1 hour ago, Charotera303 said:

I have been reading about carbs I can eat and I’m so scared about rice, bread, and Pasta. I understand that it will take up to 18 months for the pouch to stretch again. In the meantime, sashimi is my new sushi order.

Once you’re settling into maintenance you can give those things a try. Some have success occasionally eating high Protein vegetable based pastas and high protein breads. I’ve tried them a couple of times since I began maintenance but they still tend to sit heavily in my tummy so I’ve continued to avoid them. I used to eat them all the time but I don’t really miss them at all now. It’s funny how that happens.

I’m really enjoying sashimi too at the moment. I’ve been picking up some fresh salmon from the grocery store then simply slice it & dip into some soy sauce. Easiest lunch or dinner.

6 hours ago, Charotera303 said:

Thank you for this. I have been reading about carbs I can eat and I’m so scared about rice, bread, and Pasta. I understand that it will take up to 18 months for the pouch to stretch again. In the meantime, sashimi is my new sushi order.

I eat bread and Pasta, all in moderation i have on occasion toast for /with Breakfast. A couple of frozen kids meals that were pasta no problems. I think as long as youbare not having big serves and not everyday you will be fine

On 11/5/2021 at 11:27 AM, lizonaplane said:

I have always loved watermelon, and I've been eating it a lot, because it's easy to get pre-cut watermelon at the stores when I travel. It's hard to eat it slowly enough because it sort of disintegrates, but I still enjoy it.

I have been eating pork tenderloin the last few days at my parents' house. It's dry (even though it's not overcooked at all, still pink and juicy) but I've been putting hummus or baba ganouj on it and it's so high in Protein that it's helpful. I don't particularly enjoy chewing it to mush, but it's no different than other foods.

Have you tried deli roast beef? I'm 8 weeks out and I have no issues with beef. I enjoy deli roast beef and beef short rib and flank steak cooked in Pho or Ramen (I just don't eat the noodles).

I’m still on the bariatric diet 3 which is full liquids. My nutritionist has me starting on cottage cheese, scrambled and other soft textured foods. I love cottage cheese with chives. I had a bit of that the other day. I tasted so good. It was nice to have something to eat that had texture instead of liquids. About an hour after I had it I ended up having a real bad case of diarrhea. I waited a few days later to try eating the cottage cheese again. I had gotten the same problem. Apparently my system at this time can’t handle cottage cheese. However I’m able to use Simply Smart milk with my shakes.

On 11/5/2021 at 9:39 PM, learn2cook said:

Pre-surgery I loved eating eggs every morning for Breakfast. I would put leftover veggies in and Cabot Hill 50% lite cheese. After surgery I can’t tolerate them. The dietitian suggested trying them at the 6th month mark.

I had the same problem with eggs for awhile after revision. I started using an egg substitute called “just egg” that has about the same calories and Protein but made from plants. It tastes like eggs but was so much easier until I could tolerate regular eggs again at around 9 months out.

On 11/20/2021 at 3:32 PM, Lifestyle Changer said:

I’m still on the bariatric diet 3 which is full liquids. My nutritionist has me starting on cottage cheese, scrambled and other soft textured foods. I love cottage cheese with chives. I had a bit of that the other day. I tasted so good. It was nice to have something to eat that had texture instead of liquids. About an hour after I had it I ended up having a real bad case of diarrhea. I waited a few days later to try eating the cottage cheese again. I had gotten the same problem. Apparently my system at this time can’t handle cottage cheese. However I’m able to use Simply Smart milk with my shakes.

It might be the chives not the cottage cheese. I have trouble with any type of onion, although I always have. Have you tried a different flavor of cottage cheese to see if it might be the chives?

My first dumping syndrome happened with raw green lettuce. Second with brussels sprouts, which I loved, but haven't touched since. And I never will !

McDonalds cheeseburgers. I probably shouldn’t have tried it (not healthy) but I was curious and my seven year old was having one. I used to LOVE them. I still crave them thinking about it. I tried having a bite on two different occasions and both times had to spit it out. Yay.., I guess:)

Also, I eat very little red meat in general now. Hard to digest and too many calories.

Edited by HeatherE

7 hours ago, Soon2bFit21 said:

Unfortunately for me it’s chicken breast. Doesn’t seem to matter how I cook it, the texture is an instant trigger for the slimeys for me. I also don’t tend to tolerate ground beef well in any form.

Me too! chicken just doesn’t sit right! I’ve tried it shredded, in mayo, in gravy.. nothing works. Even when I look at chicken now I feel nausea!
ground beef is tolerated better but I was a fan before surgery so it’s a struggle now. I’m loving fish though.

Pork.

Even the smell of it turns my stomach 😩

Almost ALL restaurant food! It's such a shame because I am good at choosing healthy options, and enjoy sitting at a table and being waited on when I'm too tired to cook myself, but it all tastes SO processed! I took my 5 y/o to Applebee's yesterday and I ordered the 6 oz. sirloin. It was so nasty, it's like they smothered it in liquid smoke or something. We went to a Logan's a couple weeks ago, and I spent $30 for the filet - it was terrible! And for only being able to eat not even half of it, totally not worth it. I tried the mashed potatoes, I could taste that they were fake boxed. I've been to Olive Garden and ordered the shrimp scampi just to eat the shrimp out of it - again totally not worth the cost. I'm finally learning it's not worth it to go out to eat - suck it up and cook at home. (Don't judge me for the chain restaurant choices! I live in a small rural town and that's about all we have).

Sent from my SM-N976V using BariatricPal mobile app

I was just telling my wife how I am not liking coffee and she was like what. Yeah I was a big coffee head from 32 ounces day I am doing about 4 ounces daily with milk. Things change I guess 🤣😂🤣😂