Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

shoulder pain is not gas

I called my surgery team yesterday and left a message about this pain in my shoulder. It is killing me and I don't know what to do. It is creeping up my neck but I know that is because I've been favoring my arm.

The pain is very intense on the front side between my shoulder socket and rib cage (right above my armpit). It really kills me to use my left arm for anything. If I sit very still and don't move or if I lay in my recliner for about 10 mins the pain stops but comes back as soon as I start moving again. I was banded last Thursday.

Yes, it feels very different from my gas pains, but is in the same place.

My nurse called back and said the surgeon does not think it is in any way related to my surgery. Uhhhh...it started the day of....how can it not be?

Well the lortab doesn't even phase the pain and so I guess there's no point in using that. They suggested i call my pcp but they can't get me in until next week.

Does anyone have similar pain and what have you done or is this just wimpy Steph again? I'm not sure I'm buying that this is unrelated, but at this point, if I can just get some relief I will be happy!

Suggestions?

Steph

I have the same pain you're explaining..

It's above my left armpit, and radiates to my collarbone and into my left arm.

I didn't get this until about 6 months post-op.. It's not gas for me.

Mine is really bad when I go all day without eating (which I do on a regular basis, but this didn't bother me till recently).

I'll sit at my desk at work and rotate my arm and push on my collarbone.. the only thing that makes it feel better is if I eat.. but if I let it get too painful before I eat, the pain doesn't fully go away until the evening.

HOWEVER.. since you're right out of surgery, I would pay the ER a visit and make sure it's not a blood clot or anything. Better safe than sorry!

I see many patients who have post operative gas pain which refers to their shoulder and neck. Its very painful. I usually suggest, walk, no straws with liquids cuz youre bringing in more air to your tummy, no carbonated drinks for same reason and drink warm liquids.

Im not sure when your surgery was? It usually happens within a day or two.

Also ask your Surgeon if you can take Mylicon (Simethicone) 4 times a day...that usually does the trick...if it is gas.

IF pain persists see your MD right away!

Good luck

Kat

Have you ever "pinched a nerve" in your shoulder? Does it feel like that? It is possible that you have been sleeping in a different position because of the operation and have done something like this to make your shoulder sore. I know that I get mild arthritis in my neck, which can result in pinched nerves. Generally, they feel like someone has threaded fishing line through my body from neck to shoulder and any movement "twangs" the line causing intense sharp pain. If I sit still, the pain fades to a dull ache. Eventually, something eases up and the tension on the "fishing line" just disappears, usually instantly.

If what you are feeling sounds anything like this, you might want to look into changing the position you are sleeping in or getting your neck checked out for arthritis. Something like Voltaren cream (prescription only in Aus, not sure about the US) is very helpful.

I did at first think it was like a crick in my neck....only in my shoulder. I don't know how to describe crick but it's like you sleep wrong and when you turn certain ways it hurts. That's the type of pain, but in my shoulder. I slept one night in my bed and since then I have been sleeping in my recliner since that is where it doesn't hurt. If I sit very still the pain goes away.

I would go to the doc but they can't see me until Monday unless I go to the ER...and I'm not sure I'm up to that level of pain.

I'll try the simethicone and see if that helps and I'll try some Bengay to see if that helps.

I'm also going to try to founder on liquids for the next couple of hours and see if it's just that my stomach is empty.

Thanks for the suggestions....I'll see what helps.

Keep them coming guys....the magic cure is out there somewhere.

Steph

Ouch, that sounds horrible.

I was looking at my paper work and it says to call the dr's office ASAP if you have shoulder pain. Im not sure why.

I hope you feel better, and soon!

I was banded yesterday and am having the same crick. More painful than anything else. It started in the hospital. I am going to call the Dr. today just to make sure. I had some internal bleeding and had to back into surgery in the afternoon. Hope it is not related.

I am looking for some help with my gas. I had LapBand surgery in July. I found your note about shoulder pain and wished I had seen it earlier.

I had horrible shoulder pain on my fourth day after surgery. I ended up living for 3 days on my heating pad until I felt better. It was amazing. Heat-no pain...go to the bathroom without heat....pain.

I had remembered my doctor talking about the heating pad and pain but I hadn't needed it for three or four days.

How are you doing now?

le

i had the same pain and it lasted quite some time the best thing i found was a heating pad!!! still even after a year and a half i have some slight pain in the left shoulder esp. if i overeat

i read that sometimes the port is pressing on the vagas (i think that is the spelling) nerve and this nerve goes from the diaphram to the temple and the pressure from the port and esp right after sx because of the swelling can irriate the nerve. but i would asked the dr.

Hi Hippmom,

I looked at your surgery date and pounds lost and am interested in communicating with you. I had my surgery last July. I did great and lost about 2lbs per week until Thanksgiving. Then I've stopped. I cut out a couple fatty things and got a fill and thought I'd be loosing again. It's been two weeks and I haven't lost anything. I have platued. I started at 249 at surgery and got down to 212 but have gone between 212 and 217 for the last five weeks. Any suggestions?

Linda

Hi Steph,

You are not a wimp, I have the same pain. I thinks its gas. I usually have on resticted clothing or tight jeans, If I take them off and relax it usually eases or goes away. Also if I walk more it helps. It also occurs if I over eat.

I also have a dislocated rib on the right side of my chest and it causes similar pain when it pops out.

I had the exact same pain, but mine was gas. It went away in about two weeks. It would get better during the day, but at night it would come back, really bad. I finally realized about a week ago that it went away. Now I have no pain, yesterday was three weeks from my surgery date.

Yes....I found out that I can't do eggnog lattes at Christmas time either! : )

How have you done at exercising?

Are you on other medications?