Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 hours ago, Arabesque said:

You may discover that your definition of yummy changes. A lot of fast food, takeaways, sweets, etc. are really unappealing to me now. Watching advertisements for this type of food almost turns my tummy.

When I was losing I ate the inside of a wonton (group of friends decided to order takeaway for dinner) but didn’t really enjoy it. I’ve had gyoza (steamed, inside only) twice & Chinese (braised chicken & vegetables) once since I started maintenance. Again a bit blah!

I’ve also had some dessert & cake at Christmas, a wedding & a birthday but again honestly the couple of teaspoons/bites was more than enough. I didn’t get the same enjoyment from eating them.

I do drink alcohol. About once a month & usually only a glass. Gin & tonic or champagne usually.

Some people do have the odd pizza, burger, etc. eat the occasional biscuit, etc. but it’s an individual thing. Some have found healthy versions (like bun less burgers, high Protein chips). You know your lifestyle best & how you will be able to manage adding some things back into your diet in the future.

It definitely seems like the consensus is that a lot of post-sleevers just don’t really want the foods they use to want. This is exactly what I’m hoping for.

Since I haven’t had it done yet, it just seems a little unbelievable. I find myself wanting to grab the sugary things when I start getting hungry or tired. Or a Diet Coke. I’ve only recently stopped eating and drinking those things, so I suppose it’s only natural to be having longing thoughts about them. I miss them. Which is why I’m on here looking for the light at the end of the tunnel. But it sounds like I won’t be thinking about food the same way post surgery.

Also, I find myself sorta looking around my kitchen confused about what to eat. I feel aimless at times. I keep referring back to my binder for what I’m allowed to be eating (for phase 2 pre-op) and I’m so (cussing) hungry! I would usually just start eating on candy, chips, nuts, cheese stick, Water, Diet Coke (whatever I can quickly stuff in my mouth) as I figure out what I’m going to eat, and obviously that is part of the bad habits that have gotten me here.

I’m looking forward to craving healthy things!

My mantra when I have a craving for those foods is, "When I reach my goal weight." When I reach my goal weight, I will be able to eat whatever I want, in moderation. A bite of pizza or a cookie here and there is not going to balloon me back to my starting weight, but eating those things with utter abandon will. So, I will allow myself very careful indulgences once I've lost the weight. Until then, I'm in losing mode and indulgences are not on the menu. Knowing the time will come when I can enjoy treats again helps me push past the cravings, where thinking they are forbidden forever makes me want some *right now.*

I think my plan is a little different in that no foods are expressly forbidden, as long as you're getting enough Protein and staying within a reasonable calorie range. I know in my dieting past that cutting out entire groups of food (for example, on keto), would lead to cravings and bingeing, so I've been trying to allow a bite of everything from time to time.

For example, I've started going into work once a week on Fridays, and someone ALWAYS brings donuts. The first two weeks, I was completely uninterested. Last week, I thought I'd give it a try, found a maple bar that someone had already cut a piece off, and cut off a tiny square that was about a bite. Ate it, was shocked at how excessively sweet it was, logged 1/10th of a maple bar in my food journal, and moved on. I haven't wanted another taste since. For me personally, if this will be a lifetime change, I need to learn how to manage unhealthy foods in a reasonable way because I'm not sure it's really realistic to be able to avoid them forever. Others are certainly having different experiences and that's totally fine!

2 hours ago, QuirkyParrot said:

My mantra when I have a craving for those foods is, "When I reach my goal weight." When I reach my goal weight, I will be able to eat whatever I want, in moderation. A bite of pizza or a cookie here and there is not going to balloon me back to my starting weight, but eating those things with utter abandon will. So, I will allow myself very careful indulgences once I've lost the weight. Until then, I'm in losing mode and indulgences are not on the menu. Knowing the time will come when I can enjoy treats again helps me push past the cravings, where thinking they are forbidden forever makes me want some *right now.*

This was my M.O. as well. I didn't do any "one bite for tastes" during weight loss phase on purpose. Even while I was cooking for the fam, I got the Kids or Mr. to taste it for me if the food I was cooking contained stuff that wasn't willing to eat myself (though closer to goal, i did the taste-then-spit-out-method while cooking).

I'm now 3 years post op and have no prob taking a bite or two "for taste" or even just "for eats".

My insignificant opinion is that it will never be easier to lose weight than those first few months post op. Take advantage...treats and yummies aren't going anywhere, you can have some later (plus like others say, you may not even want it anyway).

Of course, if you really, really, really want to have a bite for taste, taste away. You won't be flogged for the act. Its really up to you what you to determine what your priorities are. We are all adults here and can take responsibility for our own actions!

Good Luck! ❤️

Edited by ms.sss

The only ask of my surgeon was to stick to the plan for the first 3 months. Which I did. My first foray off plan was 2 weeks at Walt Disney World - 18 weeks out. I stuck to getting my Protein & fluids, but I also had treats in moderation. I did not over indulge. The restriction definitely helped keep things in check, My weight stayed the same. I went back to what I regularly eat once back home. The weight loss is continuing.

I did not go into this with the intent of avoiding certain foods forever. I want to be able to have things on occasion. (Caveat - I'm not a binge eater)