Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Carbonated drinks after VSG

Hello, I’m about 2 months post OP, lost about 40 pounds (from a 253 start).

I started to drink Diet Coca-Cola again from a 3 months total abstinence.

It’s ok to do that? I’m drinking about 500ml per day, half after lunch and the rest in nighttime.

I don’t feel any discomfort, but I’m worried about side effects to the surgery.

Thanks for the advices!

There is a lot of conflicting stories & advice out there about whether you can drink carbonated drinks after WLS, but apparently there’s little scientific evidence to support either the yes or no position.

The only evidence is that drinking carbonated drinks increases weight gain. There’s also information coming out that artificial sweeteners are just as bad if you go down that route. (Basically they trick the body into thinking it’s getting sugar but isn’t so it stores more fat to compensate for the perceived reduction of glucose - which the body does need.) Plus artificial sweeteners continue to feed your craving for sugar.

As with many things after surgery, some can & some can’t. It’s really your choice if you can & it works for you.

Personally, I gave up carbonated drinks years ago because they aggravated my reflux & gave me horrendous hiccups. I only had bubbles in a gin & tonic & champagne but too many of them & urrgh! So no change for me (though I drink less alcohol & drink it less frequently now).

I’ve tried it a few times (I’m five months out) but it honestly didn’t sit well. The bubbles were REALLY uncomfortable. Enough for me to avoid completely. I drink nothing carbonated anymore.
the few times I did try it I ended up having one sip and giving it to my kids lol.
I pretty much just drink Water or coffee.

It also took me exactly one time of eating and drinking in the same meal time to never do that again either. The consequences were not pleasant. Even the 30 minutes after is iffy…. I usually have to wait longer.

the negative reinforcement consequences make me behave lol

So I am going to be part of the rare % that is going to say that DIET (regular high sugar carbonated have no place in anyone’s diet) have done nothing to impede my weight loss. I’m currently 5 months and down almost 80lbs. My stomach isn’t stretched from drinking these, I drink slowly and it takes at least a full hour to have 1 can. I’ve had very little issues with Fluid consumption post surgery so I don’t feel this gets in the way of staying hydrated. If you’re not having pain, bloating, or unusual sides I think this part of the many old wives tales and fallacies with weight loss surgery.

My surgeon and nutritionist both said no carbonation for life post-surgery. Given that I don't need any additional possible impediments to long-term success, I've decided to heed that advice. Given that pre-surgery I could easily drink two 2-litre bottles of diet soda per day, this was a not insignificant change.

I've tried carbonated beverages I think twice in the 13.5 months since my surgery, and each time they made me feel uncomfortable, so it actually hasn't been difficult to give up. The only thing I really miss is ginger ale/ginger beer.

The most difficult thing has been finding noncarbonated no-sugar drinks when traveling, going to fast food joints, etc. Before this I really had no clue that just about EVERYTHING is carbonated or loaded with sugar... and don't get me started on energy drinks. There are virtually no zero-sugar non-carbonated energy drinks in existence. There are a few Monster tea variants, but they all taste like ass. Hydro Zero has almost nil distribution; one Wal-Mart locally carries it in the checkout end-caps, but it's perpetually sold out.

Rockstar Recovery Lemonade was my go-to. It was delicious and I was going through 3 cases a month... until the bastards at Coca Cola decided to change the recipe and make it carbonated, just like every other [CENSORED] energy drink on the [CENSORED] market.

My go-to is now unsweet tea wherever I go, and I keep a large box of Sweet & Low in my car so I can sweeten it to taste.

One other thing that is nummy is Zero Sugar Pomegranate Vitamin Water, found only in fountain form at Subway restaurants. No carbonation, no sugar, and really tasty.

Edited by PolkSDA

some surgeons ban it for life, some say it's fine after the first few months IF you can tolerate the carbonation (not everyone can). So....??? I know that's a vague answer, but as Arabesque said, there's conflicting information out there, and there's not a consensus among surgeons.

I have read A LOT of research studies on the theory that diet soda causes weight gain, and the evidence is far from convincing.

Dr. Matthew Weiner (a bariatric surgeon with a huge YouTube presence) says he doesn't mind if people drink fizzy Water, but doesn't want his patients drinking diet or regular soda.

The belief that it stretches the stomach isn't really true from what he says, and from other evidence, but also it just doesn't make sense. But he says, many people just find it uncomfortable.

Like @PolkSDA said, it can be hard to find non-carbonated unsweetened drinks on the go other than water. I travel a lot for work, and I had given up soda 6 months ago as I prepared for surgery, and when I started to travel more again, I gave up and started drinking diet soda again. I've stopped now that I'm on my pre-op diet. One thing I did at first was carry packets of sugar free drink mix (like crystal light, but I don't like that brand) and a water bottle and just refill it and add a packet of drink mix. That worked when I didn't want plain water.

I met a woman on a trip who drank Coke Zero from day one and drank it with her meals. She said she had gained some weight back, but she felt it was from too much alcohol.

I just wanted to note, for anyone that is stating that artificial sweeteners can cause weight gain and don’t drink diet because of them, I would absolutely not use this as a reason or to drink diet soda. There are artificial sweeteners in your Protein Shakes, Protein Bars, yoghurt, Jello, pudding, Gatorade, mio/water flavorings, and many others items you consume. These are all foods and additions that are heavily relied upon on almost every single post op diet I’ve seen here.

My surgery center says no carbonated drinks for 2 years. Sounds kind of arbitrary but…ok. I was a Coke Zero fan but gave it up about 3 months prior to surgery. Gotta admit that on a hot summer day I have longingly gazed at a nice cold soda bottle at the store, but haven’t done it. Some day I’ll give it a try but for now, I’m just fine with my other drinks. (Not plain Water though; it just doesn’t sit easily for me now)

I was downing carbonated drinks very early on, I had no specific prohibition. Probably week four? I drink several cans of diet sodas a day, it’s how I get my Water intake needs met. never had an issue with bubbles or cravings or weight gain or blood sugar levels etc. ymmv and your doctor may not approve…

I didn't drink much soda before surgery (diet or regular). I have had diet soda on occasion since. I am 8 months post RNY. I've had it when there was no sugar free, non-carbonated choice other than plain Water. I had no problem with it.

I drank unsweetened flavored seltzer like crazy pre-surgery, but stopped when I started my 2-week pre-op diet, as recommended by the nutritionist. My doctor also says no carbonated drinks post-surgery because, over time, regular consumption of carbonated beverages can stretch out the stomach pouch. True or untrue, for me personally, it's just not worth it to risk anything impeding my weight loss so I'll continue to avoid them. My opinion may change at some point, but since my carbonated beverage of choice was neither sweetened nor caffeinated, I don't miss it much.

My surgeons office is apart of the suggested no carbonated drinks for life, but they tell you it's SUGGESTED. They said from what they've seen of their patients that those who don't drink carbonated drinks have an easier time keeping their weight off then those who do. Now, I don't really know whether to believe in that or not because there's this lady in my nutrition group who is 5 years post-op and drinks carbonated drinks and she's kept her weight off while another lady I know from work drinks carbonated drinks and gained half her weight back so... I don't know what to believe, honestly, but I'm perfectly fine cutting carbonated drinks out for life since it bothers my EOE anyway.

My surgeons office told me I can have them as long as they’re sugar free but they may not sit well in my new tummy.

I started drinking carbonated Water (with lemon or lime) around 1 month post op.

Haven’t stopped since. Am almost 3 years out now and these days I probably drink about 4-5 litres a week.

On very, very rare occasions, i may have some Coke Zero if im somewhere that has no better option.

Drinking it didn’t seem to any real effect on my weight loss. 🤷🏻‍♀️