Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I eating to little. What can I do to fix my metabolism

Hi I’m exactly 5 months post op I was 120kg 173 cm before surgery and now I’m 79kg. I eat no more than 500 calories a day. I feel dizzy and hungry. Should I start eating more and if I start eating more will I gain weight ? I also do weight training 3 to 4 times a week. How many more calories can I eat without gaining weight

I was eating around 800 calories a day at that point. 500 is very low for that far out - most people only eat that the first month post-op. And no, you will not gain weight on that. You'd likely still lose even at 1000 cal a day. Yes, your weight loss may slow down a little, but you're still going to lose - and at this point, I'd be more worried about your health than I would losing slightly faster/slower.

I am five month out and I eat about 8-900 calories per day. Like catwoman said, The loss has slowed a bit but I am still losing.

I’m at 5 months now and eat about 700 to 750 calories per day. Anything less than that and I too start to feel dizzy.

I am still losing any where between 1.8 to 4 pounds a week, which I’m happy with. If I was working out as much as you I would probably be increasing calories to around 800 to 900 a day.

I have seen a lot of other posts recommending to increase your calories by 100 at a time and see how you go.

Take care 😊

Edited by Butterflyeffect

At 6 months, when I reached goal, I was eating less than 900 calories but I wasn’t very active. I eat about 1200 to maintain my weight. I’m shorter than you, have a smallish frame, mid 50s & still not overly active which all influences how many calories I need.

You’re burning more calories by lifting weights & building muscle. Beside the dizziness, you shouldn’t be feeling hunger except if you’re skipping meals or not consuming enough. Do you still see your dietician? If not I’d get in contact with them again to review your diet & suggest ways to increase your calories to counteract your weakness & hunger. As @catwoman7 said, you could probably eat up to 1000 calories & still not gain. Add some Snacks (fruit, yoghurt, cheese, a Protein Shake, etc.) to slowly up your caloric intake. Increase your meal portion size if you’re able - a little extra Protein, a few more vegetables. I still eat slowly so I can eat a little more at each meal.

Good luck.

Edited by Arabesque