Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I can't stay off the Scales!!

I am weighing several times a day. I know I shouldn't but it may be my new hobby. I realize I need to stop.

LOL, who says you need to stop? So long as it doesn't send you on an anxiety spiral, weigh away! 😂

I don't think it's such a bad thing; the problem is more a matter of expectations - if you are expecting to log a loss every day with no gaps or minor gains (water weight is everywhere!) then you should stay off of it. However, if you can just look at it and say, "gee, I wonder why that is?" then it's fine.

I weighed twice a day because I was using a body composition scale to monitor that progress in addition to scale weight, and those work best if you weigh twice - first thing in the morning when your scale weight is most "accurate" (assuming after first eliminations, if you're that regular and before any consumption) and then in late afternoon when you are usually fully hydrated and the body comp measures are most "accurate" (or at least repeatable). Those in particular worked best with daily readings applied through a moving average. The body comp was of greater interest to me than the scale weight.

That said, I only "officially" recorded weight once a week to smooth out the day to day fluctuations.

When I weigh myself, I have to get completely naked and try to pee first. LOL. I have been an obsessive weigher. These days, I do it once a week. Monday mornings. After I pee, before coffee. I wonder if anyone else has weird rituals?

1 hour ago, ms.sss said:

LOL, who says you need to stop? So long as it doesn't send you on an anxiety spiral, weigh away! 😂

I am wanting it to just be 1# less than the day before :)

Edited by Tim C

41 minutes ago, Creekimp13 said:

When I weigh myself, I have to get completely naked and try to pee first. LOL. I have been an obsessive weigher. These days, I do it once a week. Monday mornings. After I pee, before coffee. I wonder if anyone else has weird rituals?

Yes Pee and anything else I can do to get the needle down a bit. I guess I could have worse habits!

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

I step on the scale with PJs and slippers on and as long as my weight falls into the normal range I'm good with that. But if my weight is so high or so low that it's on the edge of my maintenance window, then I'll undress, take off my slippers off etc. so I can get a more precise number, LOL. 😁

I work in healthcare. If you weigh daily it is usually recommended it be at the same time everyday. Most folks tend to do it first thing in the morning after they pee. Try to leave scale in the same place. Also many do it with same amount of clothing ( or naked, or in underwear) each time.

10 minutes ago, Jaye W said:

I work in healthcare. If you weigh daily it is usually recommended it be at the same time everyday. Most folks tend to do it first thing in the morning after they pee. Try to leave scale in the same place. Also many do it with same amount of clothing ( or naked, or in underwear) each time.

I am going in Buck Naked!! Underwear must weigh 3 ozs or more!

3 hours ago, Creekimp13 said:

Yes Pee, get naked and anything else I cab do to get that number lower.

LMAO!!!!!! I weigh myself every morning before I ingest anything and after I use the bathroom and brush my teeth. I weigh myself atleat 3 times to make sure the number is accurate. When I was on my million day stall (by million I mean 15) I stopped for like a week though. But my scale and I have since reacquainted and patched things up.

I had about a 5 day stall at one week. scales are moving again.

On 3/9/2021 at 11:43 AM, ms.sss said:

Thanks ...I look forward to weighing everyday!