Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Night sweats. Menopause? Help!

For about the last 1-2 months I have been suffering from worsening night sweats. Sometimes as many as three times per night I am waking up drenched in sweat. I had a partial hysterectomy about 10 years ago (uterus removed, kept ovaries), so I have no idea what my “cycles” are like. I am 47 years old and 8 months post-op. I am guessing the weight loss has sped up menopause for me, but due to my lack of a uterus, it is really difficult to tell what is going on. I am wondering if the rapid weight loss has launched menopause symptoms for anyone else. I do plan to see my PCP in the next month, but thought I would try to get some words of wisdom from the community. Also, does anyone have a supplement or idea to help with this symptom? It is really disruptive to my sleep. Thanks!

I had my surgery after I'd already gone through menopause, so no personal experience to speak of, but 47 is not too young to be starting along the menopause road - so this may have happened even without surgery...

54 minutes ago, catwoman7 said:

I had my surgery after I'd already gone through menopause, so no personal experience to speak of, but 47 is not too young to be starting along the menopause road - so this may have happened even without surgery...

Yeah...the onset of symptoms has just been so sudden and dramatic. I am definitely more sharp with my poor husband. The night sweats are brutal though. I am exhausted. 😢😢

32 minutes ago, WishMeSmaller said:

Yeah...the onset of symptoms has just been so sudden and dramatic. I am definitely more sharp with my poor husband. The night sweats are brutal though. I am exhausted. 😢😢

then that could be. I know a lot of women mention their hormones being screwed up for awhile the first few weeks or months after surgery...

Go see your doctor and have some blood work done. If anything is badly out of whack, it should show up. If not, it's very likely just menopause and you can relax and chock it up to hormones run amuck.

I'm in the throws of perimenopause now. I'm about to turn 49 and still regular as a freaking clock. Wish it would hurry up, in all honesty, I'm ready to be done! In the US, the average age for menopause is 51. (that's what my doc says, anywho)

My bestie is 49 and it's been 8 months since she's had a period...lucky turd. She has had big issues with night sweats. Drenchers. Her physical was fine, though, nothing wrong......just menopause.

It can't hurt to get checked out pronto, because as you know, night sweats can be an indication of something not so good... and I'm not talking just cancer. They can also be caused by certain Vitamin deficiencies and other metabolic issues. (B12, D, autoimmune stuff)

Best to get on top of it. You'll sleep better when you get to the bottom of it.

Best wishes!

Edited by Creekimp13

1 hour ago, Creekimp13 said:

Go see your doctor and have some blood work done. If anything is badly out of whack, it should show up. If not, it's very likely just menopause and you can relax and chock it up to hormones run amuck.

I'm in the throws of perimenopause now. I'm about to turn 49 and still regular as a freaking clock. Wish it would hurry up, in all honesty, I'm ready to be done! In the US, the average age for menopause is 51. (that's what my doc says, anywho)

My bestie is 49 and it's been 8 months since she's had a period...lucky turd. She has had big issues with night sweats. Drenchers. Her physical was fine, though, nothing wrong......just menopause.

It can't hurt to get checked out pronto, because as you know, night sweats can be an indication of something not so good... and I'm not talking just cancer. They can also be caused by certain Vitamin deficiencies and other metabolic issues. (B12, D, autoimmune stuff)

Best to get on top of it. You'll sleep better when you get to the bottom of it.

Best wishes!

Thank you so much! I am good on Vitamins, as my last labs were great and I am very good about taking my supplements every day. The sweats are awful though. Other than being a bit moody, I am not having any other symptoms of illness, or menopause. Like I said before though, the rapid onset of menopause symptoms and coincidence with weight loss have me wondering if there is a relationship between the two. I will try to get with my PCP pronto.
😊

ps. Just scheduled with her Friday morning.

Edited by WishMeSmaller