Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Support Group Seminar

Ok...I went to the mandatory support seminar. And all I can do is :faint:some people asked questions that made me wonder...do you not research something before deciding you will do that to your body?

jeezz

so much for support...it was more of an informational seminar..

but it's ok......I have all the support I need right here...

Thanks guys;)

Anyone else had a similar let down?

I had a good experience with the support group I went to. There were only about 7 of us. Only two of us lap banders, one all time permanent bander and the rest Gastric Bypass. It was very encouraging and I got good info and support. As a counselor, I recommend if you aren't getting what you need from the group, speak up. Most times, you are not the only one feeling that way and maybe it can change! I do agree though that this si one of the most supportive places you can go!

Good luck!

val

thanks guys for your info.

valstar do you happen to live in georgia by any chance.

Besides this website I really wanted to find a good support group. It is nice to develop personal relationships as well.

I have met someone on this site who does not live too far. We have became PM buddies. And are providing support to one another. She has turned out to be a great friend.

I guess what I am looking for to add is a couple of others, so we can share our experiences as we are going along the bandwagon ride. To whom might share their experience and help you know how to handle a situation when it happens. You know some things are just said in person and not written.

(sight)....

but 1 person nearby is better than none at all.

Anyone else had a similar let down?

Oh yes ...the support group I attend is anything but supportive. I am the only bander there and if anyone comes who is thinking about getting the band over the RNY all the "band bashers", as I have come to think of them, can do is trash talk the band and tell people they couldn't possibly be successful!! UGH! I have to say though ..it's those people who have really driven me to be the big "loser" that I am now. .I am determined to show them just how succesful band folks can be!!

And as for stupid questions ...at the band nutrition class I attended just before surgery another patient asked this "So, they go in and insert this thing through my mouth right?" :) How do you get that close to surgery and not know how the band is placed?!?! UGH! PEOPLE! :)

Susan

=n=n=n=n=n=

Mom To:

Hannah, Logan

Lance,

Hayden,

and the TWINkies

Mason & Morgan

=n=n=n=n=n=

weight.png

The first time I went to my support group, I hadn't had surgery yet. I was the ONLY bandster there. They all pressured me into the bypass and made me feel like I wasn't accepted. The next meeting I found a gentleman who had a band. So, out of about 25 -30 people, there are only two bandsters. I mentioned it to my surgeon and he said, "KEEP GOING. I want you to be the person that shows the band can be successful. that way if new people come, they won't automatically choose bypass. Be the good example." I accepted the challenge and now go just because I want to prove them wrong!!! Ihave to say, there are a few people there that have lost tremendous amounts of weight, and were very successful, but at what cost?? Several look horrible. Their skin is grey and pastey. Their cheecks are sunken in and their eyes bulging. They are too thin. Many complain about losing muscle mass, the B-12 shots they are required to take, etc. They have the shakes and low blood sugar problems, and some have Vitamin deficiencies. Why would you do that to yourself???? Their absorption problems just seem horrible. As a bandster, I won't have to deal with that. I am MORE than happy with my choice.

My surgeon runs a support group and requires that you attend 2 (I think) sessions prior to your surgery. He had separate groups for RNY and band, so the only other attendees either had the same surgery, or were interested in having it. The only time they were merged was for special occasions, e.g. once he brought in a plastic surgeon, so he combined both groups.

Support groups for me are a total waste of time, but I've never been big on ra-ra, sisters in the fight together, be my candlelight. I saw it as a way to find one or two people who didn't seem to have their heads shoved up their asses, whom I could get information from. And along the way, share some information. I went to two or three meetings after my surgery to maintain a relationship with these people.

Then a bunch of crap started going on and I quit alltogether, but that's another story. :)

As for people going through this, and not having the first idea what it's about -- baffling, eh? But not uncommon.

HoosierDooula,

Unbelievable isn't it. I felt the same way alone out on a limb for wanting the band.

They had this lady there 2 months post-op and I felt bad for her after all the hard looks and questions she was getting.

The lady that was running around with the microphone had RNY, but she asked everyone considering or has had lapband to stand up...guess how many only 3 including me and the girl answering questions.

We all got the "look"

I decided to take it like a grain of salt and just go with it...

Until I was asked why lapband....I said

"I choose what was right for me....I am young, want to have one more child in the future and don't want deficiency problems. I choose the rougher, tougher road....but it is what will work for me to develop the habits I need to continue this longterm..."

I'll tell you .....the room just went quiet.....

what... what'd I say? Once would have thought I cussed.

Mouth?!///LOL

Wow I guess that question is worst than the ones I had to hear!!!:speechles

congrats on your 50lbs!!!!!!

The first time I went to my support group, I hadn't had surgery yet. I was the ONLY bandster there. They all pressured me into the bypass and made me feel like I wasn't accepted. The next meeting I found a gentleman who had a band. So, out of about 25 -30 people, there are only two bandsters. I mentioned it to my surgeon and he said, "KEEP GOING. I want you to be the person that shows the band can be successful. that way if new people come, they won't automatically choose bypass. Be the good example." I accepted the challenge and now go just because I want to prove them wrong!!! Ihave to say, there are a few people there that have lost tremendous amounts of weight, and were very successful, but at what cost?? Several look horrible. Their skin is grey and pastey. Their cheecks are sunken in and their eyes bulging. They are too thin. Many complain about losing muscle mass, the B-12 shots they are required to take, etc. They have the shakes and low blood sugar problems, and some have Vitamin deficiencies. Why would you do that to yourself???? Their absorption problems just seem horrible. As a bandster, I won't have to deal with that. I am MORE than happy with my choice.
My surgeon runs a support group and requires that you attend 2 (I think) sessions prior to your surgery. He had separate groups for RNY and band, so the only other attendees either had the same surgery, or were interested in having it. The only time they were merged was for special occasions, e.g. once he brought in a plastic surgeon, so he combined both groups.

Support groups for me are a total waste of time, but I've never been big on ra-ra, sisters in the fight together, be my candlelight. I saw it as a way to find one or two people who didn't seem to have their heads shoved up their asses, whom I could get information from. And along the way, share some information. I went to two or three meetings after my surgery to maintain a relationship with these people.

Then a bunch of crap started going on and I quit alltogether, but that's another story. :)

As for people going through this, and not having the first idea what it's about -- baffling, eh? But not uncommon.

Weetsin,

If I have to attend another one of those I will either be sent to jail or straight to ER...because I would either strangle someone or hurt myself:faint:I can't do it....Plus I didn't feel the love after my response to why I choose the band...

4jin,

I agree. It's not easy to go. Sometimes I grit my teeth. But I also think of the people that go to get information, and they end up getting pushed into bypass due to lack of information and a good example of their other choice. I feel kind of bad for them. I have to think that some regret their choice when they have to deal with so many other problems. I'd be miserable dealing with all that crap. I'm in this for my HEALTH not my "beauty". If I look better, that's a plus. If I feel better, that's a plus. If I've improved my health, I've achieved my goal.

My support group is lead by a woman who is an RN and who had RYN. She has no opinion or whether or not RYN is better or worse. She knows a lot about the lapband and after care. Good luck.

4jin,

I'm in Phila., Pennsylvania, sorry. The support groups are tough. I don't want to bash RNY, it just wasn't for me. I have friends who chose that route and they are doing well and look great. They are 4, 2 and 1 year out from surgery. they tried to encourage me to do RNY with the regular arguments but I explained I had to do what was best for me and my family. The loss is slower but I am also changing life long habits. It takes time but I am willing to wait and do this hard work. I know the group that I have gone to is not the norm but I'm glad that it is serving its intended purpose. One good thing about this group is some are years out from RNY and are talking about the struggles they now have with keeping it off. Some did not do the work to change their heads while their bodies were changing. They are now doing that work so we are in the same place they are just smaller (:)). I try not to feel I need to justify my decision to anyone beyond it was the choice for me. Finally, this place is the best support, encouragment and education I have found. I encourage anyone considering either surgery to log on and read some of the posts. You guys are awesome and great examples to me. When I need a boost, I pick some threads and just read!:ranger:

Val

I have been to NO support meetings. I only attended the seminar meeting because you must. I did all the research I could do before hand and got to talk personally with representatives from TrueResults when they came to our company's health fair.

My only support has come from my family and this website. I would be lost without the guidance of the wonderful people who are walking this path and sharing it with me on this site.

I go to a monthly support group and generally it does turn into an informational meeting for those researching the procedure but I still enjoy going and seeing peoples results.

This month, we are celebrating the 5th year anniversary of our WL program. We are having a fashion show with the patients both LB and GB. I am going to model and I am so excited to show off my progress. After the show we are going to have our support meeting.

4jin,

I'm in Phila., Pennsylvania, sorry. The support groups are tough. I don't want to bash RNY, it just wasn't for me. I have friends who chose that route and they are doing well and look great. They are 4, 2 and 1 year out from surgery. they tried to encourage me to do RNY with the regular arguments but I explained I had to do what was best for me and my family. The loss is slower but I am also changing life long habits. It takes time but I am willing to wait and do this hard work. I know the group that I have gone to is not the norm but I'm glad that it is serving its intended purpose. One good thing about this group is some are years out from RNY and are talking about the struggles they now have with keeping it off. Some did not do the work to change their heads while their bodies were changing. They are now doing that work so we are in the same place they are just smaller (:)). I try not to feel I need to justify my decision to anyone beyond it was the choice for me. Finally, this place is the best support, encouragment and education I have found. I encourage anyone considering either surgery to log on and read some of the posts. You guys are awesome and great examples to me. When I need a boost, I pick some threads and just read!:ranger:

Val

I go to a monthly support group and generally it does turn into an informational meeting for those researching the procedure but I still enjoy going and seeing peoples results.

This month, we are celebrating the 5th year anniversary of our WL program. We are having a fashion show with the patients both LB and GB. I am going to model and I am so excited to show off my progress. After the show we are going to have our support meeting.

Dear Val,

That is great that you have a good support system offline as well. That was exactly what I was looking for. At work I know someone who had RNY. I am not sure if I should open up to her or not. I don't want other people to know....just yet anyways....and I'm afraid she'll tell. So for now this site is my support.

Dear Jfran,

Your meetings might turn out to informational but atleast you guys have fun. A fashion show sounds awesome.... get a chance to strut your stuff and show them your change!!!

that is great!