Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear of surgery and after life

Hello, I’m currently going to doctors and collecting my documents for surgery. My dietologist telling me scary story of future: no alcohol, no sugar, no fat and spicy food for all my life after the surgery. And it can’t leave my head, because I’m only 21 and my future life will be in China. So there is a lot of “problem” food that I want to try after year or two.

I really want to ask you all about your life after surgery. Do you able to have fun? How was your pregnancy after the surgery (if you had)?
(My weight is 100 for hight 165 and I have pco, so maybe surgery covered by my insurance. I’m thinking about different types of surgeries, maybe you can give me some advice)

Hi,

I think that is the IDEAL your dietitian would like you to follow.

I have eaten (home-made) foods with healthy fats, fruit (which has fruit sugar in it) and spices with absolutely no problems.

I cannot give advice on alcohol though as I don't drink it anymore (empty calories).

I guess everyone's tummy is different, but don't be discouraged, you will not regret having it done.

Best of Luck xXx

I eat sugar, fat, and spicy food (I limit my sugar, though - and since I hit maintenance at about 20 months out, I count overall calories, so if the high-fat food fits into my daily calorie range, I'm good. A super high-fat meal (such as a couple of pieces of fried fish with tartar sauce and a pile of French fries and cole slaw made with mayo) doesn't usually sit well with my stomach, but I can eat one of those things - just not a whole meal full of high-fat things). I can also eat spicy food. I rarely drank alcohol before surgery and rarely drink it now - maybe three times a year - and a glass of wine is about all I can handle now (you feel the effects much quicker and stronger after surgery, and transfer addiction happens with some of us, so you do need to watch it). The first few weeks and months there are a lot of restrictions, but after that, not really. There's not much I can't eat, but I eat much smaller portions than I did before, and I focus now on my calories rather than what I can..and can't...have. If a burger or a piece of cake fits into my calorie range, then I'm good (although I usually try to eat nutritionally dense things, so a piece of cake is an occasional treat, not an every day indulgence).

do I have fun? Oh good Lord yes - this is WAY better than weighing almost 400 lbs! I don't EVER want to go back there! I feel like I finally have my life back! I'm so glad I had this surgery - best decision I've ever made. I'd have it done every year if I had to! Life is so much better at a normal weight!!! I have a LOT more fun than I did when I was super morbidly obese!!

Edited by catwoman7

I'm curious if you've lived in China before? I do think there may be a real concern digesting some Chinese cuisine. A lot of it is very oily and extremely spicy, especially yunnan or sichuan (I'm talking the real Chinese stuff not the American versions).

I just had surgery two months ago and already enjoy fruit, spicy food, and some healthy fats. You definitely don't have to give up everything fun. However, I know there is no way my stomach could handle some of the things I used to eat when I lived in China. Sichuan peppercorn would be rough right now and I love it. White rice is also not possible and I don't know how you avoid that in China.

Do you have an idea of the stuff you really want to try? If you do I might be able to give you a better idea.

That’s insane ! I’ve maintained my weight loss for years. I eat anything and everything I want . I eat in moderation, I practice IF and I work out and I refuse to ever give up any foods I love . Your dietician is crazy !

I can eat basically anything (in much smaller amounts at a time than before): sugar, fatty stuff, fried stuff, oily stuff, spicy stuff (including "authentic" Asian foods) and yep, alcohol.

I do have "issues" though with lots of sugar at once (I'll dump unless I take it slow), pork (I get full fast on it), fluffy bread products (again, I get full fast on it). And broth-y Soups (I can't drink the liquid and solid chunks at the same time - I'll get super full - so I'll have the liquid first, then the chunks).

I don't eat rice nor Pasta though (by choice).

Am 5'2", 2+ years out, and can maintain at around 1800 cals a day.

I have heaps of fun. LOL.

3 hours ago, LaoDaBeirut said:

I'm curious if you've lived in China before? I do think there may be a real concern digesting some Chinese cuisine. A lot of it is very oily and extremely spicy, especially yunnan or sichuan (I'm talking the real Chinese stuff not the American versions).

I just had surgery two months ago and already enjoy fruit, spicy food, and some healthy fats. You definitely don't have to give up everything fun. However, I know there is no way my stomach could handle some of the things I used to eat when I lived in China. Sichuan peppercorn would be rough right now and I love it. White rice is also not possible and I don't know how you avoid that in China.

Do you have an idea of the stuff you really want to try? If you do I might be able to give you a better idea.

Thank for sharing with your experience! And giving me good feedback about Chinese food. I will consider gym for a year and judge after
I never was in China. But I married to Chinese guy and after we will finish our study we have to move there, so I want to able enjoy their food and party at least ones with his friends.

15 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

I can eat basically anything (in much smaller amounts at a time than before): sugar, fatty stuff, fried stuff, oily stuff, spicy stuff (including "authentic" Asian foods) and yep, alcohol.

I do have "issues" though with lots of sugar at once (I'll dump unless I take it slow), pork (I get full fast on it), fluffy bread products (again, I get full fast on it). And broth-y Soups (I can't drink the liquid and solid chunks at the same time - I'll get super full - so I'll have the liquid first, then the chunks).

I don't eat rice nor Pasta though (by choice).

Am 5'2", 2+ years out, and can maintain at around 1800 cals a day.

I have heaps of fun. LOL.

Thank for your answer and experience that you share! Good luck in every way possible!

4 hours ago, catwoman7 said:

I eat sugar, fat, and spicy food (I limit my sugar, though - and since I hit maintenance at about 20 months out, I count overall calories, so if the high-fat food fits into my daily calorie range, I'm good. A super high-fat meal (such as a couple of pieces of fried fish with tartar sauce and a pile of French fries and cole slaw made with mayo) doesn't usually sit well with my stomach, but I can eat one of those things - just not a whole meal full of high-fat things). I can also eat spicy food. I rarely drank alcohol before surgery and rarely drink it now - maybe three times a year - and a glass of wine is about all I can handle now (you feel the effects much quicker and stronger after surgery, and transfer addiction happens with some of us, so you do need to watch it). The first few weeks and months there are a lot of restrictions, but after that, not really. There's not much I can't eat, but I eat much smaller portions than I did before, and I focus now on my calories rather than what I can..and can't...have. If a burger or a piece of cake fits into my calorie range, then I'm good (although I usually try to eat nutritionally dense things, so a piece of cake is an occasional treat, not an every day indulgence).

do I have fun? Oh good Lord yes - this is WAY better than weighing almost 400 lbs! I don't EVER want to go back there! I feel like I finally have my life back! I'm so glad I had this surgery - best decision I've ever made. I'd have it done every year if I had to! Life is so much better at a normal weight!!! I have a LOT more fun than I did when I was super morbidly obese!!

Thank for your answer and experience that you share! It’s always better to hear real experience not only doctors explanations. I will consider gym for a year and will judge after. Good luck in every way possible and thank you again!

54 minutes ago, MilaU said:

Thank for sharing with your experience! And giving me good feedback about Chinese food. I will consider gym for a year and judge after
I never was in China. But I married to Chinese guy and after we will finish our study we have to move there, so I want to able enjoy their food and party at least ones with his friends.

it depends on where you'll be in China. I've been in Beijing, Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Xian - none of those cities had particularly spicy food (actually, I don't remember any of it being spicy, but then, it's been awhile). It's certain western regions of China that have spicy food, I believe (like Hunan province). But then again, you may be fine with spicy food. I had a hard time with it the first few weeks after surgery, but after that, I was fine with it.

Edited by catwoman7

I don't think those things are NEVER allowed, just to be used in moderation and with caution. Like @catwoman7 I've been to Beijing, Hong Kong, Singapore, Shanghai, Xian, Bangkok and a few more cities in Asia and didn't have to worry about the food being too spicy. There were other options. And now two years post-op I can eat spicy food without any issues.

On 2/7/2021 at 12:28 PM, MilaU said:

Hello, I’m currently going to doctors and collecting my documents for surgery. My dietologist telling me scary story of future: no alcohol, no sugar, no fat and spicy food for all my life after the surgery. And it can’t leave my head, because I’m only 21 and my future life will be in China. So there is a lot of “problem” food that I want to try after year or two.

I really want to ask you all about your life after surgery. Do you able to have fun? How was your pregnancy after the surgery (if you had)?
(My weight is 100 for hight 165 and I have pco, so maybe surgery covered by my insurance. I’m thinking about different types of surgeries, maybe you can give me some advice)

Mini-bypasser here! Note the following is not diet advice or anything. But. I'm a mini-bypasser as well as I said (I assume you are too, given the forum). We're a fortunate bunch, food wise: a lower-set pouch that seems to be less prone to intolerable foods than the RNY'ers' pouch, and our low-pressure pouch avoids many of the sleevers' problems. Our problem may be reflux, but I've continued on PPIs so I have no issues.

I had those same fears as you do. I'm ... 9 weeks out today. I have had wine on several occasions by now (allowed from Week 5), I've had spicy foods, I drink coffee, I eat cheese. All I'm focusing on is staying under my calories, not getting wasted to lose control, and getting 100g of Protein a day. No exceptions. Within those limits, I'm in charge. Oh, and I've been actively exercising since day 3 after surgery.

Could I theoretically stick to a diet of veggies, lean meats and a little fiber-heavy bread? Sure. Could I realistically? Nope. Am I losing the weight I should? Yep.

We're all different, we're all in different programs, and we all react differently to surgery. So far, I'm very surprised at how easy this is. It may come back to bite me in the ass, but I'm doing the best I can.