Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Curious... How long before you could eat your first piece of pizza?

50 minutes ago, TheycallmeXtina said:

Thanks for saying this! I'm not huge on pizza or cheese for that matter but I LOVE the crust. I was nervous from previous comments that I wouldn't be able to have it again. My boyfriend usually eats the pizza and I would eat all of the crust. Obviously, I won't be able to do that but a crust here and there can't be that bad right?

I'm also nervous that all of these delicious suggestions seem so heavy on cheese. Maybe my taste will change when I'm off liquids and I'll like cheese more.

I didn't eat crust my first year or two post-op (I just scraped the toppings off and ate those), but I eat the crust now. I can physically only eat 1-2 pieces of pizza at one sitting, though - but that's fine. That's more normal than half a large pizza! (which is what I used to eat pre-surgery...)

I believe it was 5 months post-surgery when I craved pizza. I bought a frozen Marketplace pepperoni pizza from Sam's and cut it into 8 or 9 slices, threw each in a Zip lock bag and put it in the freezer. I could eat about 3 or 4 bites and then I was done. I still have the pizza slices in the freezer and now if I bake one, I just eat the topping. Maybe a bite of crust but mainly pepperoni and cheese. I also bought a Margherita pizza from Sam's but it's still in the box.

Edited by outofusernames
Punctuation

2 minutes ago, outofusernames said:

I believe it was 5 months post-surgery when I craved pizza. I bought a frozen Marketplace pepperoni pizza from Sam's and cut it into 8 or 9 slices, threw each in a Zip lock bag and put it in the freezer. I could eat about 3 or 4 bites and then I was done. I still have the pizza slices in the freezer and now if I bake one, I just eat the topping. Maybe a bite of crust but mainly pepperoni and cheese. I also bought a Margherita pizza from Sam's but it's still in the box.

What a great idea! I never thought of that. I am going to do the same thing. I can only eat 1 pc of small cheese, and then feel so full after.

2 minutes ago, HealthyLifeStyle said:

What a great idea! I never thought of that. I am going to do the same thing. I can only eat 1 pc of small cheese, and then feel so full after.

I love cheese, too. Just about over the low fat ones. I demand to invoke my European card and say there's nothing like a good French full fat cheese. I'd probably be on the can for a couple hours after having more than a bite of one, tho.

9 minutes ago, OAGBPal said:

I love cheese, too. Just about over the low fat ones. I demand to invoke my European card and say there's nothing like a good French full fat cheese. I'd probably be on the can for a couple hours after having more than a bite of one, tho.

I actually buy Provel cheese from the deli (it's a local thing, not sure they sell it outside of my city) and add it to the slice before baking for more Protein. If not provel, mozzarella would be my pick. My surgeon doesn't restrict foods and I agree that it just won't work to cut out things long term. Since I'm not eating half a pizza like I was pre-surgery and I'm meeting my protein goal, I don't sweat the occasional pizza craving. I use Baritastic to track calories and protein daily and it hasn't hindered my weight loss so... Sometimes reduced fat or low calorie doesn't quite hit the spot like the real thing! :)

Edited by outofusernames
Grammar

12 minutes ago, outofusernames said:

I actually buy Provel cheese from the deli (it's a local thing, not sure they sell it outside of my city) and add it to the slice before baking for more Protein. If not provel, mozzarella would be my pick. My surgeon doesn't restrict foods and I agree that it just won't work to cut out things long term. Since I'm not eating half a pizza like I was pre-surgery and I'm meeting my Protein goal, I don't sweat the occasional pizza craving. I use Baritastic to track calories and protein daily and it hasn't hindered my weight loss so... Sometimes reduced fat or low calorie doesn't quite hit the spot like the real thing! :)

Yeah, I don't have any prohibited foods either. Mozzarella is a great idea, actually. Hadn't thought of that. And I do a teaspoon of olive oil here and there with lemon juice for my internal health, why not put it on some mozzzzz :) (Yeah, it's expensive in calories, but hey, it keeps me happy guys).

I, too, only track cals and protein to be sure. And then look at my pee to see if I'm doing ok on hydration (I always am, so that's nice). And still lose 3-6 lbs a week.

I think some Stilton on apple slices would hit the spot, too, and be relatively food efficient cal/satisfaction wise.

Ricotta bake is the bomb! I add very lean ground beef. I also make "lasagna" with slices of zuchinni and all the same stuff I put in the ricotta bake. Delicious!

p.s. I tried cauliflower crust pizza at about 3.5 months. I like some better than others. As for regular crust pizza, I tried a slice at around 4 months. I've found that I can do the thinner NY style crust, but the thicker crust was a no-go. I felt ill, and like it was "stuck" no matter how much I chewed my food.

23 hours ago, TheycallmeXtina said:

Thanks for saying this! I'm not huge on pizza or cheese for that matter but I LOVE the crust. I was nervous from previous comments that I wouldn't be able to have it again. My boyfriend usually eats the pizza and I would eat all of the crust. Obviously, I won't be able to do that but a crust here and there can't be that bad right?

I'm also nervous that all of these delicious suggestions seem so heavy on cheese. Maybe my taste will change when I'm off liquids and I'll like cheese more.

And the small amount becomes a meal 😜

But If bread triggers your hunger (real or head) I would wait as long as possible before eating it, as some form of hunger returns at some point for *most* of us

I would try to delay that as long as possible because honestly it’s easier to lose weight when you don’t want to eat 😂

7 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

And the small amount becomes a meal 😜

But If bread triggers your hunger (real or head) I would wait as long as possible before eating it, as some form of hunger returns at some point for *most* of us

I would try to delay that as long as possible because honestly it’s easier to lose weight when you don’t want to eat 😂

I can see that! I think French Fries are my trigger. Im not even hungry yet but everytime I see someone eat fries on TV, I think I can't wait to have a fry! Pre-surgery I could just eat fries for a meal any day of the week. Ill def keep what you said in mind and hold off for as long as I can.

Any good French fry alternatives would be great!!!!

4 minutes ago, TheycallmeXtina said:

Any good French fry alternatives would be great!!!!

If you have an air fryer, try these garlic parmesan carrot fries:

https://masonfit.com/garlic-parmesan-air-fryer-carrot-fries/

I think they’re better with carrot chips instead of “fries” because they get crispier if they’re sliced thinner. I’ve also seen the same thing with spiralized carrots, and I bet those would be delicious, too, I don’t think they need any sauce, BTW.

As a former French fry lover, I've had about 10 of those little rascals after surgery and they were soooo not satisfying :D

2 hours ago, BigSue said:

If you have an air fryer, try these garlic parmesan carrot fries:

https://masonfit.com/garlic-parmesan-air-fryer-carrot-fries/

I think they’re better with carrot chips instead of “fries” because they get crispier if they’re sliced thinner. I’ve also seen the same thing with spiralized carrots, and I bet those would be delicious, too, I don’t think they need any sauce, BTW.

I basically only cook in my air fryer! These look good! I can't wait until I can try them!