Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass lasted 5 hours due to scar tissue.

Hi to all. I haven't been on the forum to post for couple of days, as I had my surgery on Jan 12th. I am just curious if anyone else has ever had a 5 hour long gastric bypass. My poor Dr. worked on my lower intestines where I had so much scar tissue and he said if he hadn't fixed it that later on in life it would have given me lots of trouble. So, I'm actually very blessed that my Dr. went above and beyond for my health. However, I paid for it with the pain. Oh my goodness!!!!! I'm talking pain scale of 10 for awhile. It felt like my stomach was on fire. However, by the next morning I was much better. I only had to stay 2 nights and they were thinking 3 at first, so that of course more good news. I just wanted to share and say Hi and I'm glad to be back home.

Wow 😳 Glad you are doing better. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly! 💕

2 minutes ago, WishMeSmaller said:

Wow 😳 Glad you are doing better. I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly! 💕

Thank you so very much. I for sure am going to follow all of Dr.'s orders to the T. I sure wouldn't want him to have to go back in.

52 minutes ago, RhondaHigdon said:

Hi to all. I haven't been on the forum to post for couple of days, as I had my surgery on Jan 12th. I am just curious if anyone else has ever had a 5 hour long gastric bypass. My poor Dr. worked on my lower intestines where I had so much scar tissue and he said if he hadn't fixed it that later on in life it would have given me lots of trouble. So, I'm actually very blessed that my Dr. went above and beyond for my health. However, I paid for it with the pain. Oh my goodness!!!!! I'm talking pain scale of 10 for awhile. It felt like my stomach was on fire. However, by the next morning I was much better. I only had to stay 2 nights and they were thinking 3 at first, so that of course more good news. I just wanted to share and say Hi and I'm glad to be back home.

Congrats & I'm glad your Surgeon is a rockstar. I'm glad you feel better already.

My conversion from VSG to RNY to a lot longer than my surgeon expected (~3 addition hours) because he had to clear the field of a great deal of adhesions.

My RNY bypass took over 3.5 hours because during my last caesarean layers had apparently been caught up in the stitching. My surgeon showed me photos and video afterwards which was gross! I'm glad he sorted it out but he did say it'd take a bit longer to heal and I've had more pain than I perhaps expected. It's feeling better now 3 months out. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Edited by Deb9386

8 minutes ago, Deb9386 said:

My RNY bypass took over 3.5 hours because during my last caesarean layers had apparently been caught up in the stitching. My surgeon showed me photos and video afterwards which was gross! I'm glad he sorted it out but he did say it'd take a bit longer to heal and I've had more pain than I perhaps expected. It's feeling better now 3 months out. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Thanks for sharing, and glad to hear that you are doing good. I actually had 5 c-sections, 1 tubal reversal, and a complete hysterectomy thru the same incisions place. But all in all, I don't think I'm doing too bad the pain isn't as bad as I thought it would be. Thanks again.

5 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Congrats & I'm glad your Surgeon is a rockstar. I'm glad you feel better already.

My conversion from VSG to RNY to a lot longer than my surgeon expected (~3 addition hours) because he had to clear the field of a great deal of adhesions.

Glad it all went well for you as well. Thanks for sharing and, yes my Dr. is a Rockstar.

mine lasted a little over an hour, but I had no issues, like scarring, that they had to deal with. It was pretty straightforward.

21 hours ago, Deb9386 said:

Thanks so much Deb. I don't think it has been too bad once I got thru that first night. That was a rough one. I know it was due to all the scar tissue my Dr. cleaned up for me. I already feel better in the sense that whatever he did effected my bladder as well, because before this surgery I was the lady with my bladder on a leash. Today being my 4th day post-op I woke up feeling a little rough, but it was also a hour and half past time for my nausea meds. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm so happy all is going well with you.

My revision took over 5 hours as well. My doctor said I had a lot of scar tissue. The sleeve the first time only took him 45 minutes. He says this is somewhat common for it to happen. I had lots of post op complications as well. Ive lost a lot though so aside from being nauseas all the time the weight loss was markedly better this time around.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan2020 said:

My revision took over 5 hours as well. My doctor said I had a lot of scar tissue. The sleeve the first time only took him 45 minutes. He says this is somewhat common for it to happen. I had lots of post op complications as well. Ive lost a lot though so aside from being nauseas all the time the weight loss was markedly better this time around.

Well, I didn't have the sleeve to start with, but I really have only lost about 25lbs and that is including the 11 days of pre-op diet that I lost I know 10lbs on. I'm not hungry persey, but I still sometimes just wish I could eat food again already, even tho it's gonna be so different. I'm sorry that you have been so nauseated. I think I have been quite lucky, as far as that goes.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:04 PM, Jetsfan2020 said:

Well, I had just had 5 c-sectons, and in between those I had a tubal reversal. Which worked. I had 3 more children. Hence the 5 C-secions, 1 tubal reversal, Then I had a complete hysterectomy. Just so much scar tissue. I am sorry to hear that you have been so nauseated. I have been lucky as far as that goes. Only a little, a couple of times. I just did make me some of those ricotta cheese bake, and I was scared to death, but I just took my time and so far so good. I have had 2 of them. I'm scared to try anything else. I am such a picky eater. I don't like yogurt at all. I don't like tuna fish, which i can use the can chicken.

Anyway, back to the surgery part when I woke up in recovery I felt like my stomach was on fire. I was begging the nurses for relief. I was in recovery for quite sometime. I don't know why, but all my Dr was giving me was Toradol and Tylenol. The following day that worked fine, but right out of surgery, not so much. Thanks for letting me know I wasn't a lone wolf. Rhonda

I went in for the revision in December and he was unable to do it because I had a hernia and scar tissue. So I had the hernia repaired and waited for the revision until just 2 days ago. I went in again to have the revision and he didn't do it at all because of the scar tissue. I was thinking this is the end of the road for me but now I'm reading your posts. Do you think I should get a second opinion about it? I regained weight and I have bad GERD. I feel hopeless right now and now reading this I'm wondering why I didn't get to have the revision surgery at all :(

LeighLon

6 hours ago, LeighlonLove said:

I went in for the revision in December and he was unable to do it because I had a hernia and scar tissue. So I had the hernia repaired and waited for the revision until just 2 days ago. I went in again to have the revision and he didn't do it at all because of the scar tissue. I was thinking this is the end of the road for me but now I'm reading your posts. Do you think I should get a second opinion about it? I regained weight and I have bad GERD. I feel hopeless right now and now reading this I'm wondering why I didn't get to have the revision surgery at all :(

LeighLon

Definitely get a 2nd, and even 3rd, opinion. Maybe this surgeon didn't want to do the extra work. I'm surprised he didn't do the bypass the same time as the hernia repair. I've seen a TON of stories on here from people that had both done at the same time. Even when the hernia was a surprise!!

You may have to travel to a big city with more skilled surgeons, but I agree, I'd definitely get another few opinions. Skill varies a lot in the bariatric world and what one surgeon might not touch (and you wouldn't want them to!) another may be able to do with ease... It is worth a try at least!